I need some schooling... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need some schooling...

SIGShooter
02-18-2011, 12:47
Okay, here it is...

Gas block: clamp style or pinned

Noveske Switchblock: is it worth it or not? I will be running suppressed and unsuppressed.

Barrel and gas port erosion: is it more prevalent while using a sbr?

SBR and carbon fouling: is it more predominant, carbon build up, using a sbr as opposed to a standard length barrel? Which would go back to using the switch block from noveske.

Buffer spring assembly: do I need to be using a different style or weight while using a sbr and suppressor?

In regards to the sbr...it is going to be a MK18 built on a colt LE6920. I will be using the M4-2000 AAC suppressor

I appreciate any and all the help and advice you all have!

mjkeat
02-18-2011, 13:03
I will refer you to m4carbine.net. You might find more in depth advise there.

SIGShooter
02-18-2011, 13:07
I will refer you to m4carbine.net. You might find more in depth advise there.

I have been doing a ton of research there. I don't have the ability to get an account because I don't have a paid email account.

mjkeat
02-18-2011, 13:11
I dont think m4carbine required a paid account. I think thats arfcom. I dont have a paid account and am a member of m4carine.net.

Research is key. Itll save you a lot of money.

SIGShooter
02-18-2011, 13:28
I dont think m4carbine required a paid account. I think thats arfcom. I dont have a paid account and am a member of m4carine.net.

Research is key. Itll save you a lot of money.

Thanks for the heads up. I will try again tonight. I appreciate it!

mjkeat
02-18-2011, 13:34
silencertalk.com is a good resource as well

SIGShooter
02-21-2011, 20:50
Thank you gentlemen!

I got an account at M4carbine. I will hopefully be able to post there soon.

I appreciate the heads up from you guys!

boomhower
02-21-2011, 21:01
I'll suggest a NiB BCG for your surpressed set-up. As you know they are dirty as all get out, it will make your life a lot easier. If you don't want to spend that much at least go with a chromed one.

crazymoose
02-21-2011, 21:21
Pinned gas block for hard use. Short barrels/gas systems, coupled with cans, will always run harder and dirtier than longer, unsuppressed setups. A switchblock will ameliorate much of this, and is recommended.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

SIGShooter
02-21-2011, 22:33
I'll suggest a NiB BCG for your surpressed set-up. As you know they are dirty as all get out, it will make your life a lot easier. If you don't want to spend that much at least go with a chromed one.

I was thinking of doing the Fail Zero for my current BCG. I like the fact that Colt uses the FA BCG. Added weight helps from what I've researched. Plus, I don't have to purchase a new BCG.

SIGShooter
02-21-2011, 22:34
Pinned gas block for hard use. Short barrels/gas systems, coupled with cans, will always run harder and dirtier than longer, unsuppressed setups. A switchblock will ameliorate much of this, and is recommended.
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

A lot of the searching I have done has yielded me a lot of clamp/set screw style gas blocks.

Do you have a recommendation for a specific pinned GB?

surf
02-22-2011, 00:41
Okay, here it is...

Gas block: clamp style or pinnedThere are options for set screw or clamped gas blocks, but pinned is always a more durable choice.

Noveske Switchblock: is it worth it or not? I will be running suppressed and unsuppressed.Very worth it and pretty much a given for suppressed SBR's.

Barrel and gas port erosion: is it more prevalent while using a sbr?In theory yes. How much a shooter actually notices such a thing is dependent on volume and rate of fire over time.

SBR and carbon fouling: is it more predominant, carbon build up, using a sbr as opposed to a standard length barrel? Which would go back to using the switch block from noveske.Carbon fouling in an SBR is more predominant in a suppressed system as the suppressor collects and holds gasses within the system causing various issues in regards to carbon. This is the short answer.

Buffer spring assembly: do I need to be using a different style or weight while using a sbr and suppressor?Maybe. I know that isn't a definitive answer but there are too many variables here to give a definitive answer. There are known combination's of barrel length, gas port sizing, ammo types, springs and buffer weights. But nothing is a guarantee.

In regards to the sbr...it is going to be a MK18 built on a colt LE6920. I will be using the M4-2000 AAC suppressor

I appreciate any and all the help and advice you all have!Sounds like a great set up. I personally run a M4A1 MK18 10.3" that is not suppressed. Standard carbine spring and H buffer. Runs like a champ. Personally if I were going suppressed I wouldn't run a 10.3" MK18 barrel. I would probably look into a barrel in the 11.5" - 12.5" range as that length seems to be more suppressor friendly.

WoodenPlank
02-22-2011, 01:36
I have a set screw type low-pro block on my Mk. 18 build. However, when the block was installed, the smith I use slightly dimpled the barrel under the screws, allowing the ends of the screws to set slightly into the barrel, then used a generous amount of high-heat loctite to set the screws well in place. It may not be QUITE as strong as a pinned block, but I bet it is damn close.

SIGShooter
02-22-2011, 10:19
There are options for set screw or clamped gas blocks, but pinned is always a more durable choice.

Very worth it and pretty much a given for suppressed SBR's.

In theory yes. How much a shooter actually notices such a thing is dependent on volume and rate of fire over time.

Carbon fouling in an SBR is more predominant in a suppressed system as the suppressor collects and holds gasses within the system causing various issues in regards to carbon. This is the short answer.

Maybe. I know that isn't a definitive answer but there are too many variables here to give a definitive answer. There are known combination's of barrel length, gas port sizing, ammo types, springs and buffer weights. But nothing is a guarantee.

Sounds like a great set up. I personally run a M4A1 MK18 10.3" that is not suppressed. Standard carbine spring and H buffer. Runs like a champ. Personally if I were going suppressed I wouldn't run a 10.3" MK18 barrel. I would probably look into a barrel in the 11.5" - 12.5" range as that length seems to be more suppressor friendly.

Outstanding!

Thank you for the information!

I am still reading on M4carbine. There is a whole **** load of information there for all my wants and needs. I'm reading about 3-4 hours a night on stuff I thought I knew but figured out I didn't know **** about!

Let me throw this out to you…

MK18
10.5" Barrel
KAC Inconnel Flash Hider w/KAC Supressor

OR

AAC 51T Muzzle Break w/M4-2000
Full Rail
Low Pro Gas Block
KAC Micro BUIS 300M
Larue T1 Mount
T1 Sight
SOPMOD stock

Still not sure on the Noveske SB. I'm coming up with a 50-50 type of response in needing it or not. Those who use it love and those who don't use don't think it's needed.

Fireman1291
02-22-2011, 11:35
Outstanding!

Thank you for the information!

I am still reading on M4carbine. There is a whole **** load of information there for all my wants and needs. I'm reading about 3-4 hours a night on stuff I thought I knew but figured out I didn't know **** about!

Let me throw this out to you…

MK18
10.5" Barrel
KAC Inconnel Flash Hider (Triple Tap I believe is the term) OR AAC 51T Muzzle Break
Full Rail
Low Pro Gas Block
KAC Micro BUIS 300M
Larue T1 Mount
T1 Sight
SOPMOD stock

Still not sure on the Noveske SB. I'm coming up with a 50-50 type of response in needing it or not. Those who use it love and those who don't use don't think it's needed.

You could just order a Noveke SBR upper and save yourself a headache. It'll be assembled correctly and youll save some money. And the KAC triple brake wont allow mounting of the M4-2000. And get the 51T brake not the flashhider. The brake will lessen the damage on the 1st blast baffle for being on such a short barrel.

H2 buffer

Switchblock

Fireman1291
02-22-2011, 11:37
You can order just the upper and call them and have them change the blackout FH to a 51T brake. It comes with a noveske FA carrier/bolt.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lslp-556-sb&cat=136&page=1&search=&since=&status=

SIGShooter
02-22-2011, 18:27
You could just order a Noveke SBR upper and save yourself a headache. It'll be assembled correctly and youll save some money. And the KAC triple brake wont allow mounting of the M4-2000. And get the 51T brake not the flashhider. The brake will lessen the damage on the 1st blast baffle for being on such a short barrel.

H2 buffer

Switchblock

$1315.00...I don't like Noveske that much to spend that kind of dough. A hundred and change, okay, but not that much.

I am aware that I cannot use the M4-2000 with the KAC Inconnel. That's why I listed the AAC 51T Muzzle Break. From the research I have done, the muzzle break is a great investment for preserving the can.