Magpul BAD Lever woes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magpul BAD Lever woes

DLEE25
02-18-2011, 13:09
My RRA has been running 100%. I've put ove 1000 rds thru it with no problems. I recently installed BAD levers on all of my AR's as an upgrade. Today I found that my RRA would not lock back after the last round. This occurred using 4 different P-mags. I tried a GI metal magazine and the problem persisted. It was always a failure to lock back after the last round. I downloaded the magazines to three rounds and the lever did lock back after the last round, but whenever I ran a full magazine, I had the failure. I examined the bolt release as well as my BCG and everything looks fine. I'm stumped! I don't have that problem with my other BAD lever equipped lowers. By the way I was using S&B and Winchester white box 55 gr FMG and I was slow firing.

I've since removed the BAD lever, but have not been able to shoot it to check if the problem is still there. I'm kind of annoyed since this gun has alway been 100% for me. Is it possible to simply wear out a bolt carrier release lever?

Constructor
02-19-2011, 23:58
I doubt the bolt catch is worn out, you can see the top of it when the upper is removed. More than likely something is binding so the mag spring doesn't have enough pressure to push the bolt catch up fast enough to catch the bolt.

It may be short stroking but the WWB M193 is high pressure so if it is short stroking it may be a loose gas block or, the gas tube is full of soot or the carrier could just need lube. Do not try Mcfarland rings as an upgrade unless you carrier bore is worn out, the 1 piece rings are too tight in most carriers and can cause short stroking.

DLEE25
02-20-2011, 18:04
You know, I ran it right out of the gunsafe. The only lube on the BCG was the coat I put on after the last cleaning. Come to think of it, when I run the gun during the summer I usually blast the upper with an ample amount of lube. I guess I was just lazy this time. Spoke with a few buddies about it and we all kinda doubt the short stroking theory since every round cycled smoothly and my buddy watched the brass eject and pile uniformly and it just had the right feel with every shot I fired. I'm leaning towards the simple fact that it may have been too dry. I'll double check all the internals, and make it wet and see if that fixes it. Thanks for the input.

DLEE25
02-20-2011, 18:08
Hey Constructor, just one more thing. If indeed the BCG was simply too dry, do you think colder temperatures may have attributed to the bolt lock failure? It was pretty chilly that day (20 degrees range with the wind chill) I do more shooting in the summer, so I never really got that much data on how my guns run in the cold.

Constructor
02-21-2011, 01:46
Colder temps can create less pressure in the barrel to cycle the carrier.
Unless you had thick oil or grease I don't think cold would hamper the movement, I have been using Mobil 1 for years with no problems, it's thicker than most gun specific lubes.
Cleaned the bolt tail lately? that kind of crud could slow things down.

DLEE25
02-21-2011, 21:48
I stripped the bolt down last cleaning. Been using Break free CLP for a while. I have never tried any thicker lubes. Thanks for the tip on the cold temps. definitely need to put a few more rounds thru the gun before spring.