KelTec KSG Shotgun pre-order [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : KelTec KSG Shotgun pre-order

C/O-RC
02-18-2011, 13:05
http://www.thegunsource.com/item/516040__Kel-Tec_Rifles_Shotguns_KSG_12_18_5_14+1_TOP_PIC_RAIL.aspx?w=uIX6ocEC4l0%3d

$614.99:faint: no thanks

wtf0ver
02-18-2011, 13:08
thats a bit cheaper than i thought it would go for. heard around the $800 mark for a while

B.Mauser
02-18-2011, 13:08
They don't come with sights?

C/O-RC
02-18-2011, 13:10

nope just the rail you have to add your own

C/O-RC
02-18-2011, 13:11
thats a bit cheaper than i thought it would go for. heard around the $800 mark for a while

eh im in for $300 if the price drops and there is no reported problems

mdfd
02-18-2011, 13:18

the indicated $880 price is MSRP. I was told dealer cost was around the $500 range...

Sharkey
02-18-2011, 16:34
I guess it depends on what you are gonna use it for. I think $600 is a good deal and will buy one at this price. By the time you add all the stuff to a shotgun, you easily reach that price.

15rds. with rails in a legal compact package. What is not to like?

wtf0ver
02-18-2011, 17:22
im not gonna lie i really want it. if i could get it for $500-$600 im in.

CAcop
02-18-2011, 17:23
That sounds about right since it is pretty much a one of a kind weapon. Plus I can see the price coming down a bit more once the initial demand is satiated.

The sights no coming with the gun makes sense because I would just want fixed sights rather than flip up since I won't run a red dot but someone else might not.

BL33D 4 M3
02-18-2011, 17:40
I'll wait for the Ruger...:supergrin:

Nakanokalronin
02-18-2011, 22:20
http://www.thegunsource.com/item/516040__Kel-Tec_Rifles_Shotguns_KSG_12_18_5_14+1_TOP_PIC_RAIL.aspx?w=uIX6ocEC4l0%3d

$614.99:faint: no thanks

Guess what, its already worse. $673.99 according to your link now. Nothing about the KSG makes me want to try it over my $270 semi-auto Saiga with a 20rd drum.

sdsnet
02-18-2011, 22:28
If the price goes den after a while I would like one with a laser illuminator on tp.

Solesurvivor
02-18-2011, 23:13
I hope they don't take as long to get them out as they do with Sub2ks. I want one!

VZ1600
02-19-2011, 10:49
For those wanting it, maybe wait to see if the "dead trigger" issue gets resolved first.

http://gunnuts.net/2011/01/20/kel-tec-ksg-shotgun-video/

It's a cool looking shotgun for sure. But not $650+ cool looking.

CAcop
02-19-2011, 11:12
For those wanting it, maybe wait to see if the "dead trigger" issue gets resolved first.

http://gunnuts.net/2011/01/20/kel-tec-ksg-shotgun-video/

It's a cool looking shotgun for sure. But not $650+ cool looking.

There has since been info that Keltech considers the SHOT show weapons to be prototypes. They basically put them out there for people to comment on what they wanted before they commit to full scale production.

C/O-RC
02-19-2011, 11:53
Guess what, its already worse. $673.99 according to your link now. Nothing about the KSG makes me want to try it over my $270 semi-auto Saiga with a 20rd drum.

wow thats a pretty big jump for just one day

okbye
02-19-2011, 12:22
There has since been info that Keltech considers the SHOT show weapons to be prototypes. They basically put them out there for people to comment on what they wanted before they commit to full scale production.

I read that somewhere. And that the dead trigger problem would be corrected before production.

The closest I could find today was this: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=5738985

The referenced AR-15.com newsletter, I could not locate.

Also, $600 is where it starts to become an option for me. $800 is out of the question.

Cesiumsponge
02-19-2011, 14:05
I have an Evil Black Saiga-12 with the 10-round fun sticks and fun bits.

I want the KSG.

CBennett
02-19-2011, 16:06

me too I heard between $800-1000 originally so $700 or less was below what it was "supposed" to be...still stretching the $$ id pay though...

furioso2112
02-19-2011, 19:24
Wow. Seems like something that will be legislated against in a hurry. Also seems like it will lack the reliability that I'd like in any of my guns, especially at that price. Around the $400 mark, okay, I'll buy one of the first. $600 would be outside price, unless it was proven to be ultra reliable.

fnfalguy
02-19-2011, 20:25
With the delays that they've had with the RFB, I wouldn't be rushing to pluck down any cash as yet!

F_G
02-20-2011, 09:26
I'd pay $600 for one, but only if it proves it's reliability is on par with venerable 870.

Cesiumsponge
02-20-2011, 11:01
I'd pay $600 for one, but only if it proves it's reliability is on par with venerable 870.

That might be a steep order. Outside of the Mossberg 500/590, I don't think any other pump shotgun manufactured yesterday or today touches the 870. It's pretty much the gold standard workhorse. It probably means new pump actions of tomorrow won't touch the 870 either in reliability.

Anyone know if Kel-Tec bought the rights to the Neostead NS2000? It's a South African shotgun of very similar operation/construction but it's been around for ages. Instead of twin tube magazines below the barrel, they're above the barrel but it's the same combat shotgun concept.

I'd be interested to see what the production KSG looks like such as a indicator for the magazine tubes, It also needs a much more ergonomic spot to change the tube feed selection. Right now it's in the very back and hinders on-the-fly change. I'd probably add a KAC forward handstop or a webbing loop since the forend grip is flush with the front of the barrel. Not sure how grippy it is but I don't fancy having my hand slide off the forend unintentionally (though that'd be operator error)

MedicOni
02-20-2011, 11:07
If I wasn't dropping my tax return on a commuter motorcycle I'd be preordering this. I want one, but guns are pretty far down on my wants list right now.

PlasticGuy
02-20-2011, 13:57
Nostradamus says:

1) KelTec will take a while getting it to market
2) When it does start shipping, it will be just a few at a time
3) Problems will be found (just like the RFB) as round counts increase
4) The novelty factor will wear off, and people will realize it's an expensive gimmick
5) Sales will continue to be a trickle, with little or no new demand
6) Production stops, and so does the supply of spare parts.
7) Owners wish they had bought an 870/590/Saiga

Questions?

furioso2112
02-20-2011, 14:30
Nostradamus says:

4) The novelty factor will wear off, and people will realize it's an expensive gimmick

Questions?

This is the list that keeps me from buying one until I can check off half of the issues. #6 is the worst; #7, I'd change to "Owners wish the gun they bought worked reliably." I don't wish to buy something I can go out and buy anytime I like. I buy new designs like this becuse the intended functionality is something I like. For 3-gun, that'd be great. For a lot of thigns, really - just imagine if it turns out to be as reliable and sturdy as a Glock!

snax90
02-21-2011, 10:50
Just putting it out there the price has jumped again to $673.99. At this rate it may be at the $800 mark by the time they are available.

ManWitaBigStick24
03-21-2011, 12:44
i think i will stick with my Remington, Mossberg and saigas. I am normally a function over cosmetic appeal kind of guy but come on that thing is ugly.

B Coyote
03-21-2011, 17:02
Nostradamus says:

Questions?

This actually sounds reasonable.

bc

tx787
03-22-2011, 13:06
Dead trigger has been fixed. It's still a novelty item but could be cool if they prove to be durable and reliable. The problem is who wants a shotgun from a company that has never made one before when there are other companies that have made shotguns since the 1800s.

ATL_GLOCK
03-22-2011, 13:33
I put a deposit on it weeks ago. Cant wait to shoot it...if all goes as plan I'll get it around the same time my RedJacket Firearms modified saiga 12 gets it's stamp. Then I'll do a direct comparison and report here on the board

BailRecoveryAgent
03-22-2011, 13:43
Classic marketing tactics. Start out with an MSRP of $800, then when they are available ask $680 and everybody all of a sudden thinks its a steal and must jump on it immediately.

I'll stick with the 870.

mdfd
03-22-2011, 16:09
I put a deposit on it weeks ago. Cant wait to shoot it...if all goes as plan I'll get it around the same time my RedJacket Firearms modified saiga 12 gets it's stamp. Then I'll do a direct comparison and report here on the board

how does one compare a <$700 pump to a >$2000 semiauto SG? :dunno:

nonetheless, would love to see some reviews on them before I commit....

BailRecoveryAgent
03-22-2011, 17:21
how does one compare a <$700 pump to a >$2000 semiauto SG? :dunno:

I was wondering the same thing, kinda like comparing a Prius to a Ferrari.

Sharkey
03-22-2011, 21:13
Classic marketing tactics. Start out with an MSRP of $800, then when they are available ask $680 and everybody all of a sudden thinks its a steal and must jump on it immediately.

I'll stick with the 870.

I'll pay no more than $675! :supergrin:

Why not charge what the market will pay? Saw it at the show and think it's pretty cool especially since one can be had without a tax stamp. As for reliability, everything is just speculation now. I got to think it is easier to build a reliable pump over a semi-auto. I guess time will tell......................

BailRecoveryAgent
03-22-2011, 21:35
I'll pay no more than $675! :supergrin:

Why not charge what the market will pay? Saw it at the show and think it's pretty cool especially since one can be had without a tax stamp. As for reliability, everything is just speculation now. I got to think it is easier to build a reliable pump over a semi-auto. I guess time will tell......................

Nothing wrong with charging what the market will pay, but even at $680, it seems pretty steep for what it is. Especially considering you can buy 2 870's or 2 mossberg 500's or almost 3 Maverick 88's for that price, which are already proven designs.

FLuXmr2spyder
03-22-2011, 21:36
at $600+ i think the saiga is lookin much much better :)

Scattergun1187
03-26-2011, 14:57
I was wondering the same thing, kinda like comparing a Prius to a Ferrari.

There is NO Comparison.

Bullman
03-26-2011, 20:40
I sent them an e mail asking if my department could demo one for our up coming range days next month, haven't heard back yet, but I just sent the e mail today.

One other thing. If mossberg is marketing something as goofy as a chainsaw handle fore end, you can bet they are working feverishly to re introduce the 500 bullpup and maybe even a 930 bullpup. I just have a feeling here, nothing to back it up.

manly
03-26-2011, 23:53

your $270 saiga now is selling for well over 700...lol

Louisville Glocker
03-27-2011, 21:07

If you can find a $270 Saiga, I'll take 5 (or more). They're up around $800 now for stock models. Glad I got mine before the big spike. (just got my Md Arms drum last week..whooo hooooo). All said, I've got $1400 into my S12 though, after the conversion and all the goodies... (including drum and some AGP mags).

As for this KelTec, looks like a neat gun. I'll wait for the reviews.

ImpeachObama
03-27-2011, 22:05
Guys, it's 15 freakin' rounds. That's awesome! I just wish it was semi-auto, not pump. Only 26 inches long. Home defense and just going to the range to blow off steam will never be the same again. I recently was looking for a Sub2000 from Kel-tec all over the country. Finally found the one I was looking for. Glock 40 version, picking it up in a week.

Hedo1
03-28-2011, 08:12
I have not been happy with the Kel-Tec product I purchased. The Sub Gun 2000 was nothing but problems for me and their warranty service moves at the pace of a glacier. They often don't even respond to questions for a few days.

I wouldn't buy this shotgun now. I'd take a Saiga any day after my experience with them.

Darkangel1846
04-09-2011, 15:19

Why do you need sights? Its a shotgun!:rofl:

PlasticGuy
04-09-2011, 20:46
Why do you need sights? Its a shotgun!:rofl:
So you can hit your target with slugs past 30 yards? :whistling:

aubie515
04-10-2011, 21:16
Not to sound like a fanboy, but you are the only person I've ever heard of having issues with a warranty from KT.

I had to send my PMR in due to a case rupture...including the time I shipped my pistol, it only took 6 business days...so factor in two days to ship there and back. They only had my pistol 4 days. KT also paid for shipping both ways. This is the first time I had to use KT for warranty work, but I was very impressed with how fast their turn around time is...I used to work for Streamlight in the repair department and I can tell you that this is darn quick service.

I have not been happy with the Kel-Tec product I purchased. The Sub Gun 2000 was nothing but problems for me and their warranty service moves at the pace of a glacier. They often don't even respond to questions for a few days.

I wouldn't buy this shotgun now. I'd take a Saiga any day after my experience with them.

Back on topic...I like what KT is doing as a company...they always seem to offer some neat features rolled into an inexpensive package. The big issue I have with KT is availability of their products...since they do not have inventory, what they build is what is shipped to their distributors. It works for them, but it leaves many future customers pissed at them.

The RFB has been out two years and not many are in the hands of the consumer. The PMR has had a decent amount of pistols built (5,000+), but it's still not meeting the demand for this pistol...so you see a bunch of gun shops taking advantage of customers who want these items and they are paying a premium. I understand free enterprise, but I don't like when gun shops do this to their customers and KT is to blame.

I own an RFB and a PMR and I like them, but I'd never pay more than $1,300 for the RFB and $289 for the PMR. That's what I paid for those items and while I want another of each...I just refuse to pay double.

ETA: I like our Prius...that thing is saving us a ton of money at the fuel pumps.

txpitdog
04-11-2011, 12:55
Love the KSG concept. +1 on hoping for a semiauto version in the $600 range. Still, my 590 with speedfeed holds 9+4, and I'm not quite ready to take on the huge increase in muzzle blast near my face and $675 when what I got oughta do what I need it to do already.

BBJones
04-13-2011, 12:39
I like the concept, and the size of it makes it very useful.

A few issues/questions:
- Have any of you seen how difficult it is to load? You better not need more than 15 rounds because good luck getting any more shells into it in a hurry.
- The switch over between tubes while firing is not exactly easy or intuitive.
- How do you do a slug change over with it? It is hard as hell to load the thing. One nice feature is you could have one tube filled with slugs and one with buck. That would be the fastest slug change over on the market.
- Reliability? Will be an open question until plenty of them are on the market.

Good concept but the devil is in the details. I guess we will see how it turns out.
I think 600-700 is a fair price if it is a quality SG.

ennis
04-23-2011, 11:58
I'd recommend a close check of the company, TGSCOM before sending money. I have never dealt with them, myself. Use Google or look at Reseller Ratings (http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Midwest_Hunter_s_Outlet_TGSCOM_Inc)

stiletto raggio
04-24-2011, 13:39
Dead trigger has been fixed. It's still a novelty item but could be cool if they prove to be durable and reliable. The problem is who wants a shotgun from a company that has never made one before when there are other companies that have made shotguns since the 1800s.

I do, since they are one of the few companies to make significant improvements to a shotgun design since the 1950s. Guess what? A Remington 870, venerable as it may be, is still old tech. I agree, new stuff has to be tested and proven before it can take the place of older ("tried and true") equipment, but at least KT is doing something different, if not entirely new. A lot of people talked trash about the Saiga when it started getting big, but they sure do have a following now. The utility of the KSG is not in capacity as much as combining capacity with extreme compactness. Once they become readily available and have had some real trials, I think I may get one for HD. Beats the hell out of the old Mossy bullpups and doesn't look like it will cost much, if any, more.

Snow and Ash
04-24-2011, 21:43
The KSG just became available for backorder at the Impact Guns website for $710. Impact is a reputable dealer that moves a lot of inventory, so if you are crazy enough to want to be one of the first people to own a KSG, this is a good line to stand in. I would, but I just bought a Winchester 1300 Defender :cool:

http://www.impactguns.com/kel-tec-ksg-12-ga-18in-barrel-shotgun-ksg.aspx

Scattergun1187
04-25-2011, 08:14
I'm 2nd in line at a local gunshop with no deposit down.:supergrin:

Scouse
04-25-2011, 12:11

$270? Seems very cheap, purchased where? Is this an AK design? Just sold a new model Ithaca 37 pump, did not like it.

I have a AK 47, aftermarket folding stock, red dot sight. Love it.

JGguns
04-25-2011, 16:24
Not to sound like a fanboy, but you are the only person I've ever heard of having issues with a warranty from KT.

I had to send my PMR in due to a case rupture...including the time I shipped my pistol, it only took 6 business days...so factor in two days to ship there and back. They only had my pistol 4 days. KT also paid for shipping both ways. This is the first time I had to use KT for warranty work, but I was very impressed with how fast their turn around time is...I used to work for Streamlight in the repair department and I can tell you that this is darn quick service.

Back on topic...I like what KT is doing as a company...they always seem to offer some neat features rolled into an inexpensive package. The big issue I have with KT is availability of their products...since they do not have inventory, what they build is what is shipped to their distributors. It works for them, but it leaves many future customers pissed at them.

The RFB has been out two years and not many are in the hands of the consumer. The PMR has had a decent amount of pistols built (5,000+), but it's still not meeting the demand for this pistol...so you see a bunch of gun shops taking advantage of customers who want these items and they are paying a premium. I understand free enterprise, but I don't like when gun shops do this to their customers and KT is to blame.

I own an RFB and a PMR and I like them, but I'd never pay more than $1,300 for the RFB and $289 for the PMR. That's what I paid for those items and while I want another of each...I just refuse to pay double.

ETA: I like our Prius...that thing is saving us a ton of money at the fuel pumps.

I had the same experiance. Same gun and same issue. I am a fan of kel tec.

I wouldnt mind picking one of these shotguns up. Like everyone else if it proves to be rugged enough and reliable enough, its kinda a no brainer.

itstime
04-25-2011, 16:41
I'll put my name in tonight. Yea right. I'm still waiting for my pmr22.