Do Trijicon sights need some kind of "warm up" or "break in"? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do Trijicon sights need some kind of "warm up" or "break in"?

IndianaMatt
02-18-2011, 20:01
I installed a pair of Trijicon night sights on a G17C (green front; orange rear). They didn't seem to glow too bright at first but seem to be getting brighter and brighter.

Am I hallucinating? Do they need to be warmed up or something?

robin303
02-18-2011, 20:04
The green and yellow should last 12 yrs and the orange only half that. Are they new.

tuf8seconds
02-18-2011, 20:20
It's that Budweiser that you had for breakfast that makes 'em do that!!!!!

MannyA
02-18-2011, 20:22
It's that Budweiser that you had for breakfast that makes 'em do that!!!!!

:rofl::faint::rofl:

dj_osbo
02-18-2011, 20:24
The green and yellow should last 12 yrs and the orange only half that. Are they new.

Why should the orange have only one-half the life of the green and yellow?

carguy2244
02-18-2011, 20:24
Yes, Trijicons do need a break in period.
Put a drop of oil on them.
Wrap them for 1 week with gauze pads and duct tape.
After 1 week, remove tape and swap with kerosene soaked cotton balls.
They're then ready to use.

glock22357
02-18-2011, 20:30
You're obsessing...there's no "break-in" with sights. They haven't changed their luminosity since you got them.

AgentM79
02-19-2011, 10:43
They aren't nearly as bright in real-life as the magazine and internet pictures would lead you to believe. If you want day-bright tritium, TruGlo TFO's (tritium fiber optic) are the only current option.

I'm partial to orange-rear tritiums, myself. The manufacturing process that enables the rear to glow orange reduces the useful life of the tritium elements. They probably add some type of phosphor to the gas mixture, reducing the amount of tritium gas and the attendant long-term brightness.

FatBoy
02-19-2011, 10:53
I installed a pair of Trijicon night sights on a G17C (green front; orange rear). They didn't seem to glow too bright at first but seem to be getting brighter and brighter.

Am I hallucinating?YESDo they need to be warmed up or something? NO

:dunno:
FB

Glock4President
02-19-2011, 10:56
I thought the Orange colored dots were just the same green tritium inside of an Orange casing. On the trijicon I thought they put like a Orange dot over the end that you view the sight from.

voyager4520
02-19-2011, 10:57
You can only really see the glow in low-light. There should be a two digit number on the rear sight that tells you when they were made. Like 10 for 2010.

GRT45
02-19-2011, 11:30
I'm partial to orange-rear tritiums, myself. The manufacturing process that enables the rear to glow orange reduces the useful life of the tritium elements. They probably add some type of phosphor to the gas mixture, reducing the amount of tritium gas and the attendant long-term brightness.

Hmmm...I'm willing to read more if you have a reference or link.

Why should the orange have only one-half the life of the green and yellow?

dj_osbo, here is my theory addressing your question:

I expect it's more a function of the spectral sensitivity of the human eye rather than lamp life.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Eyesensitivity.png/287px-Eyesensitivity.png (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e9/Eyesensitivity.png/287px-Eyesensitivity.png)
Spectral Sensitivity Diagram of the Human Eye

As the tritium (a colorless gas) decays* over a period of years, the rate of electrons released decreases, fewer atoms of the phosphor are excited by the electrons, and fewer photons of light are released. As the light dims, the colored tritium tubes at the extremes of the spectral sensitivity curve of human eyesight will be perceived to dim more than the colored tubes near the peak of the sensitivity curve. The perceived light from the orange and blue tubes will degrade to the point of being ineffective before the yellow and green tubes.

The spectral sensitivity curve also explains why shooters often say the green and yellow tritium tubes appear brighter than the orange for a given manufacturer.

* The tritium nucleus consists of one proton and two neutrons. When tritium decays, one of the neutrons decays to a proton and an electron is shot out of the atom (plus an antineutrino zips off, but nobody notices).

maxpower220
02-19-2011, 17:35
... (plus an antineutrino zips off, but nobody notices).

I notice.

GRT45
02-19-2011, 17:51
I notice.

Har! :rofl:

TangoFoxtrot
02-20-2011, 05:41
Check the date on them. maybe you got ripped off by the dealer.

bumpercar
02-20-2011, 06:17
What is the best night sights for a Glock 27

220-9er
02-20-2011, 09:01
I have to wipe mine off after they have been in a holster for a while due to dust or lint. You can't see it easily but a damp paper towel works wonders.

MrVvrroomm
02-20-2011, 09:20
I usually activate my night sights by drawing from holster, tapping muzzle of gun three times on table, then shaking it vigorously just before firing.

Try this, make sure you Youtube it for us.

jamaicanj
02-20-2011, 09:31
I've never heard of a warm up period as all of mine have glowed brightly from day 1. Look at the date on the top of the sights to make sure that you did not end up buying very very old sights

dj_osbo
02-20-2011, 10:52
What is the best night sights for a Glock 27

I have AmeriGlo GL-113 sights on my 22 and 27 and I highly recommend them.

Shadyscott69
02-20-2011, 10:56

Only partially true. A humans perception of them will change. The half life of tritium is constant no matter the color. I understand what you are saying though.

AgentM79
02-20-2011, 12:24
[QUOTE=GRT45;16904872]Hmmm...I'm willing to read more if you have a reference or link.

It was just a theory on my part. The only sciences I mastered in college were Political and Police Sciences. I knew half-life was constant, though.

The orange sights are noticeably dimmer than yellows or greens, that's for sure. To me, though, yellow might as well be green at night. There's barely any contrast there for me. Orange is much more visible in that regard.

GRT45
02-20-2011, 13:09
The orange sights are noticeably dimmer than yellows or greens, that's for sure. To me, though, yellow might as well be green at night. There's barely any contrast there for me. Orange is much more visible in that regard.

AgentM79, that's an excellent observation you make about better contrast between front and rear sight for a green/orange set over a green/yellow set that I hadn't considered. I wish AmeriGlo offered a green/orange set of my favorite night sights, AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro (http://www.ameriglo.net/sites/default/files/pro%20idot%20yellow%20copy.jpg). I like the green/yellow set on my G30SF .45ACP but I'd like to evaluate a green/orange set.