Weak plastic OEM sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weak plastic OEM sights?

argento
02-19-2011, 04:14
I've seen many glock reviewers turn their noses up at plastic stock sights...

I hammered off the fixed rear sight on my 17a and replaced it with a plastic adjustable, also suitably hammered on...

Tough little buggers they are... :wow:

silversport
02-19-2011, 06:23
I have no issues with the plastic OE sights...I don't care for the original adjustables as they appeared to be weaker but have no first hand experience with them (although GLOCK changed them) but it seems from your post they are tough...good to know...
Bill

Grovenator
02-19-2011, 06:27
Both GLOCKS I have bought have GNS on them. I won't buy a GLOCK with the stock plastic sights on it. For one, I can't stand that U shaped rear sight outline. I have a friend that had his front sight fall off of his G 21 some years ago. That's when I decided to never have the stock plastic ones on any GLOCK that I ever owned. But if they work for you guys that's a good thing.:wavey:

Patchman
02-19-2011, 06:28
I'm guessing most Glocks are sold with the stock plastic sights and their owners see no need to swap it out for a metal/night sight or adjustable sight. The decision would likely depend on amount of usage and what you intend to use it for.

loose cannon
02-19-2011, 09:08
im all about the aroteks.i wont even try the thing until i"aro tek"it.

but many seem to like the stock sights.we all have our flavor :)

Glock4President
02-19-2011, 10:01
People talk down on the plastic sights too much. They are on the glock to make it cheaper for the end consumer to purchase. They are also very sturdy. But like any other small plastic pieces, if you bang them up really hare, they might break. As for falling off I've heard of that happening with every type of sight, even night sites.

AgentM79
02-19-2011, 10:22
The polymer sights are designed to be easily and inexpensively replaced. The rear sights are available in four heights, and the original front (with the feet and spreader pin) was designed for ease-of-installation in field situations. Originally, the adjustable sights were needed for import purposes ("target sights" add import points), and weren't ever intended for long-term use. Steel sights were installed as desired once the guns were "stateside".

The polymer sights are rustproof (the little metal tab at the bottom can rust, though) and actually are pretty hard to bang out of place in the Glock dovetail (the polymer expands when you apply force to it, thereby resisting movement). The front, though (prior to the new screw-on polymer sights), could be readily removed with a pair of pliers or banging on a table edge.

For LE use, polymer rear sights quickly become rounded on the edges as they are bumped on car doors and gun lockers. You can rip them off during one-handed malfunction clearing drills (catching the rear sight on the holster to rack the slide). Hence, most LE users prefer steel/tritium.

If you are a target shooter, and/or have no intention of using the rear sight to rack the slide one-handed in an emergency, the polymer rear sights are good because they are inexpensive and can be tailored to suit your choice of ammo weight (remember, four heights available). The Glock OEM adjustable sight is also good in it's current, updated design (a far cry from the junky one that we used to see on Gen1 G17's). Another good thing about the Glock polymer sights is that you can merely remove it and turn it around (white outline facing AWAY), or install a new one backwards, if you prefer an all-black rear sight.

Make mine metal! Glock offers steel white-outline rear sights that can be paired with a tritium or fiber-optic front for an excellent sight system.

HAMMERHEAD
02-19-2011, 10:32
My issue with the stock plastic sights is the that the front sight takes on a mushroom profile over time from all the little bumps they take, reducing accuracy.

Glock4President
02-19-2011, 11:22
My issue with the stock plastic sights is the that the front sight takes on a mushroom profile over time from all the little bumps they take, reducing accuracy.

You can replace it really cheaply though. That is the good thing.

Glock 17L
02-19-2011, 11:22
I put a factory adjustable Polymer Sight on the Rear of my 17L & now it hits to Point of Aim Perfectly..
The sight isn't really robust but should last quite a while till I can get something better..
It fits the dovetail very tightly & doesn't appear it will ever move on it's own..

Factory Adjustable Rear Sight Assembly
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1396/adjustablerearsight17lg.jpg

MrVvrroomm
02-19-2011, 13:04
Just remember: Glock perfection ends at the top of the slide

Glockpimp
02-19-2011, 13:21
the plastic sights are fine as standard sights for the average shooter.

TSAX
02-19-2011, 13:58
we all have our flavor :)

:agree:

chukb
02-19-2011, 15:38
I have glock night sights and stock regular sights. I prefer the regular stock U sights over the night sights for range shooting. they are easier to see during day.

I could have had ed's put on GNS for about $50 but I opted for stock sights on my recent 26 for this reason.

LV_G26
02-19-2011, 18:14
I replace all of the plastic Glock sights with either Glock steel sights or Glock night sights to allow for one-handed malfunction clearances, etc.

You never know when you are going to have to rack the slide one-handed in an emergency.

Lately I have had trouble finding Glock steel SCREW ON front sights. Does anyone have a source?

fuzzy03cls
02-19-2011, 19:22
Stock sights are plastic? Never knew that. I replaced all mine because I like 3 dot night sight setups. No other reason for me.

Glock 17L
02-19-2011, 22:11
YUP!! Most factory sights are plastic..
Have a look at the bottom of this 21 year old rear sight & you can see the rust on the metal tab inside the plastic sight.. This is the one I replaced with the adjustable one on my Long Slide 17L..
http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/2743/july1990rearsight.jpg

duncan
02-20-2011, 00:43
The plastic Glock sights are fine for starting out.

But if you are going to carry that for SD, getting metal would be a good idea.

Only my Advantage Arms .22lr slide has plastics.

bsg1
02-20-2011, 02:47
i buy Trijicon night sights.

TangoFoxtrot
02-20-2011, 05:29
I've seen many glock reviewers turn their noses up at plastic stock sights...

I hammered off the fixed rear sight on my 17a and replaced it with a plastic adjustable, also suitably hammered on...

Tough little buggers they are... :wow:

These OEM plastic junk sights are Glocks stupidity. Its almost like they are selling a kit gun.:upeyes:

firemedic1343
02-20-2011, 07:17
These OEM plastic junk sights are Glocks stupidity. Its almost like they are selling a kit gun.:upeyes:

I like the way they do it. Cheap sights keep the gun cheaper.

ronin.45
02-20-2011, 08:31
The stock rear sights(Fixed, and Adj.) are very tough. I leave them alone. I always replace the plastic front sight with a factory steel one. I haven't played with the new screw on plastic front sight. It might be ok.

tnhawk
02-20-2011, 08:47
I normally use the rule - If it aint broke, don't fix it. When I find one, I will be replacing the front sight with steel.

sigchaser723
02-20-2011, 21:07
Here is my two cents on the subject. They are fine for probably 90% of the people who own guns as was already said they offer an acceptable sight picture and make the weapon cost less so they work. Now for the other 10% they are just not acceptable in terms of durability. They can be rounded over time and are much more likely to break during one handed manipulations. In my mind glock made the right choice it keeps the price down which is good for the typical end user and in reality those of us that make up the other 10% likely have sights the we like best anyway (for me warren tacticals rule) and the lower cost allows me to put them on when I buy the gun. If the sight pic works for you but you want more durability then get the steel version and be happy.

TSAX
02-20-2011, 21:10
You can replace it really cheaply though. That is the good thing.

Yep and you can also get Glock steel sights, but just know that when you replace the polymer with the steel sights it will set off those damm metal detectors :whistling:

http://www.glockmeister.com/Glock-Steel-Sights/products/35/

cciman
02-20-2011, 21:34
perception..."steel's gotta b better"... they said that of the frame too.

a staked steel front sight is just as "weak" as a plastic one, even if it has a mounting screw, which also can be torn off with minimal effort.

Really the only reason to switch is to mount night sights, which are all steel.

For SD situations, you don't need sights.

Louisville Glocker
02-20-2011, 22:45
My stock sights have suited me fine thus far. Granted, I don't use my guns for my job, so they don't take a day to day heavy beating.

One Glock has factory night sights, the other, the standard plastic ones. I shoot about the same with both. I typically shoot fairly rapidly when I practice. I figure a real life situation won't often lend itself to a ten second pause between shots. So I'll usually take a shot or two medium speed, then unload. I aim for center of mass, and hit close to 100%. I conceal carry, but the odds are against me using my gun in that application. And many of those potential situations won't require sights to accomplish the purpose.

If I was some competition shooter or something I'd have different thinking.

In the meantime, if one of them breaks then I'll think about an upgrade. Before then, why bother?

BlackPaladin
02-21-2011, 02:33
Are there any recommended 3 dot steel (non NS) sights which have a similar profile to glock sights (dimensions/shape)? I hate the "u shape" of stock sight, but I like the profile of them.

Aaron1100us
02-21-2011, 02:53
I had the stock plastic front sight come off my G22 twice. Time to replace with something a little better.

AgentM79
02-26-2011, 15:17
Are there any recommended 3 dot steel (non NS) sights which have a similar profile to glock sights (dimensions/shape)? I hate the "u shape" of stock sight, but I like the profile of them.

I believe Trijicon offers a non-tritium steel set with dots.