Glock 19 (night?)sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 (night?)sights

dehughes
02-19-2011, 13:50
Hello all,

So yes, I've read the numerous threads about replacement sights for Glocks, specifically 19's....and I'm more undecided now than before I started looking into it. My intention is to purchase a Glock 19 (probably Gen 3....we'll see, though...) and replace the sights, much as I did on my Glock 17. I put Trijicons on the 17 and liked them well enough.....and have Trijicons on my XD45 (great gun...).

However, two things:

1) Are night sights really all that necessary? I put them on my guns at the recommendations of "the internet" as well as various gun stores and friends, but part of me wonders how essential they are in the real world (r.e., non-internet techy-gear-lust). That said...

2) Would simple replacement sights be recommended/available? I can't seem to find just plain sights....say, three-dot, steel....as most non-night sights seem to be target sights or fiber optic sights.

My intention with this gun is to a) get a 9mm again (sold my G17...), and b) use it for carry purposes (going to get my CHL this month, most likely). While I like to tinker and play with gun-Legos as much as the next guy, I also know there is a point where it's more for fun than for any practical benefit.

THAT said, if I do go the route of night sights I'm inclined to go with something like the Heine/XS sight (probably NOT the big dot...just a regular one) or the Trijicons as I've had before. Part of me thinks I'd benefit from having different sights on my G19 than my XD45 mostly because of the differing grip angle (my eye looks for the front sight in a different "place" on Glocks vs. XD)....hence my curiosity about the Heine/XS sights.

Anyway, recommendations/sound advice is greatly appreciated.

up1911fan
02-19-2011, 13:52
I prefer Tritium up front only. Standard size XS or a tritium front with a plain black rear.

dehughes
02-19-2011, 13:57
I prefer Tritium up front only. Standard size XS or a tritium front with a plain black rear.

Interesting. Thanks.

Why do you prefer that setup?

From where would you recommend purchasing sights?

up1911fan
02-19-2011, 14:01
I don't want to line up 3 dot's. When I bring the gun up I want that front site to jump out at me, I think it's much faster to pick up a front only set up. I like the 10-8, Heinie, or Warren plan black rear site's with a front night site.

dehughes
02-19-2011, 14:03
I don't want to line up 3 dot's. When I bring the gun up I want that front site to jump out at me, I think it's much faster to pick up a front only set up. I like the 10-8, Heinie, or Warren plan black rear site's with a front night site.

That makes great sense, actually.....

I wager no one sells a set like what you describe (front night sight, plain black rear), so where would you recommend I purchase the individual sights? I'm looking on glockparts.com right now, and they have some similar stuff..but not exactly what you describe.

dehughes
02-19-2011, 14:10
Or, I should say, what combination of front night sight/rear plain black sights work best, in your opinion? It seems that certain plain rear sights don't work with certain front night sights....and I'd hate to buy a set that didn't work well together (shot high/low, not enough light through rear sight notch/front post sight picture).

lethal tupperwa
02-19-2011, 14:12
http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock

voyager4520
02-19-2011, 14:19
Trijicon makes three-dot metal non-night sights. Ameriglo offers a wide variety of sights, including metal non-night sights that are not "target" sights. Ameriglo also gives a 10% discount if you use the promo code GLOCKTALK

up1911fan
02-19-2011, 14:19
If you go with a 10-8 rear, you need a .215" front site, I like the Heinie front with the 10-8. Heinie also sell's plain black rear and individual front nite sites. Brownell's I believe carry's the Warren Tactical plain black rear and a matching front site. The standard dot XS site's are great for fast shooting as well.

dehughes
02-19-2011, 14:24
Wow. Very cool! This site is awesome (r.e., the people who post here are great and informative...).

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check out those options....but the plain rear/night front deal just clicked instantly in my head. Makes so much sense. I will do that.

TSAX
02-19-2011, 14:33
http://www.xssights.com/sightimages.html

dehughes
02-19-2011, 14:45
Wow...okay....did some reading....seems that 10-8 rear sights are not compatible with most non-10-8 front night sights. I like the Heine night front/plain rear, but I'd prefer to have the rear sight "notched" (a la Trijicon, Ameriglo, 10-8 etc..).

Here is what I'd like:

1) Mellonite finished sights, like the Heine's
2) Notched, serrated, plain rear sight
3) Front sight with tritium insert AND some sort of white ring around the insert

Unless I'm missing something, I don't see this offering from any of the manufacturers mentioned here. I'd be willing to miss out on the mellonite finish (probably doesn't matter, really), but I still can't find #2 and #3 together as a package...which means I'd have to pick and choose...but then I run into compatibility issues (as mentioned above in the 10-8 rear sight...). Hmm...

125K9
02-19-2011, 14:53
We have something down south that you probably don't deal with much in Portland, venomous snakes. Last summer taught me a great lesson about night sights. I had a rather large Copperhead rapidly advancing on me in my front yard and all I had, at that moment, was my Bersa 380 with stock sights. I did have a Stinger flashlight, but the work would have been MUCH easier if I'd had one of my pistols with night sights. I finally stopped the snake with one round to spare. It had gotten to within 5-6 feet from me, and that's a bit close for comfort.
With the stock sights, which had lost their painted white dots years ago, about all I could go on was seeing the round kick up dirt as it hit the ground and try to adjust the next shot from that.

Glock4President
02-19-2011, 15:01
You can just get the front night sight and turn your glock back site backwards. Or you could order glock oem night sites. They are tennifer treated and offer a fifteen to life warranty. The glock night site to me are identical to the trijicon sites.

dehughes
02-19-2011, 15:07
Yeah, we don't have many large, venomous snakes here in Portland. Just lots of meth-heads. Good point about night sights in that situation. I'll keep a front night sight, then.... :)

As for sights, here is about as close as I can find in a setup which meets (part of) the above three points:

This front: http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_11&products_id=59

With this rear: http://www.heinie.com/product_info.php?cPath=9_11&products_id=150

OR

This front: http://www.10-8performance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_32&products_id=40

With this rear: http://www.10-8performance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=24_32&products_id=39

Any reason to choose 10-8 over Heine?

Also, I'd prefer a front sight with a white outline around the tritium (a la Trijicon)...but would a standard Trijicon front sight work with that Heine rear sight? Or would an XS standard front dot...and if so, can I purchase XS front sights separately (didn't seem to be able to when I looked)?

dehughes
02-19-2011, 15:15
Also, I do like the Warren/Sevigny carry set....plain rear with tritium front...wish the rear site was serrated, then it'd be perfect:

http://www.cpwsa.com/warren_sevigny_sights.htm

Also also, I see I can order just the front Glock night sight for a reasonable price....but then have to figure out which plain rear sight would work with it:

http://glockparts.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=6901&CAT=761

This would all be so simple if I wasn't so picky, huh. Maybe I'm a priss and should just run with the Warren carry set. Who needs Tennifer and serrations anyway, right? I suppose my question is: Are serrations are more or less eye-catching than a plain rear sight?

dehughes
02-19-2011, 15:32
In reality, this isn't a bad option either:

One of these front sights: http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/night-sights/front-sights

With one of these rear sights: http://www.ameriglo.net/catalog/sights/pistol-sights/glock/black-sights/rear-sights

I'm not too familiar with Ameriglo's reputation....but I noticed on many of the pictures that the front night sights had Trijicon stamps on them...which is encouraging.

lethal tupperwa
02-19-2011, 16:01
you will find that Ameriglo is well thought of here.

glockmaniac
02-19-2011, 16:19
Honestly, I just put night sights on my Glocks because I'm not a fan of plastic sights.They do have a cool factor and help locating firearm in dark,but a laser would make more sense for night shooting imo

tx787
02-19-2011, 16:27
I just go with Glock factory night sights, they are cheap and last longer than most others. You can have Glock install a set and ship your slide back to you for $57, hard to justify spending double that IMO.

bustedknee
02-19-2011, 18:43

Have you ever noticed you shoot extremely high in low-light situations?

TSAX
02-19-2011, 18:48

Aim High Willis, Aim High

1:45 to 1:53 mark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_DrLRJ_5dc

Sonnytoo
02-19-2011, 19:02

The probability is that I'm going to need this night-sight front-sight at a distance of 4 feet to 30 feet. A front sight will be fine, thank you.
S2

up1911fan
02-19-2011, 21:47
Negative.

up1911fan
02-19-2011, 21:50
The probability is that I'm going to need this night-sight front-sight at a distance of 4 feet to 30 feet. A front sight will be fine, thank you.
S2

Yup, the front site is all you need to pick up.

up1911fan
02-19-2011, 23:13
Wow...okay....did some reading....seems that 10-8 rear sights are not compatible with most noon-10-8 front night sights. I like the Heine night front/plain rear, but I'd prefer to have the rear sight "notched" (a la Trijicon, Ameriglo, 10-8 etc..).
The .215 Heinie front is what you use with the 10-8 rear.

duncan
02-19-2011, 23:31
Wow. Very cool! This site is awesome (r.e., the people who post here are great and informative...).

Thanks guys. I'll definitely check out those options....but the plain rear/night front deal just clicked instantly in my head. Makes so much sense. I will do that.

That's my setup on my Kahr PM9.

dehughes
02-19-2011, 23:54
The .215 Heinie front is what you use with the 10-8 rear.

Killer! Man, I'm glad you guys know your stuff...

One last question (for now): Is a serrated or non-serrated rear sight preferable, from the perspective of making one focus on the front sight?

up1911fan
02-20-2011, 00:00
I like a serrated rear personally. Either 40 or 50 LPI work's well.

duncan
02-20-2011, 22:00
I like a serrated rear personally. Either 40 or 50 LPI work's well.

Serrated should present the cleanest sight picture free of any reflections

sfdefender
02-21-2011, 14:58
I just put a Ameriglo Proglo front only on my G19 and my G27. These are the ones with the red around the tritium tube. Good both day and night.