Shotgun "placement" in the bedroom [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun "placement" in the bedroom

Cool Impala Glocker
02-19-2011, 16:18
Hi there!! I have a Remington 870 short barrel (18.5) loaded with Winchester PDX1 rifled slug among with federal 00 buckshot. I am truly at a "loss" of where I should place my shotgun in my bedroom?

My bedroom is your standard 15x20 bedroom. King sized bec backs the outside wall, with 2 nightstands flanking each side. Wife on the left and me on the right. On the right wall, there's a window which is like 2 or so feet away from the bed. On the left side, pretty much 3 or so feet away from the bed to the wall, which in turn leads to the master bath. My tv is mounted on my tall chest of drawers about 4 feet away from the foot of the bed.

Now...where do I place my shotgun? I thought about putting it in the corner between my nightstand and the window wall. Then I thought about under the bed, but my smallish dog likes to go under and play. Hmm....idea's?? Suggestions??

Any other parts of the house is protected by my Glock 27 which I ccw.

jbh2000
02-19-2011, 16:29
Kids? Occasional small houseguests? If not, I'd keep it within arm's reach when I went to bed and on a top shelf in the closet when I did have small ones around. Kids would change the whole picture.

Cool Impala Glocker
02-19-2011, 16:35
Kids? Occasional small houseguests? If not, I'd keep it within arm's reach when I went to bed and on a top shelf in the closet when I did have small ones around. Kids would change the whole picture.

I forgot that!! Much apologies...Houseguests is very seldom because we only live in a 2 bedroom house and the 2nd bedroom is an office. Kids...no kids for us unfortunately. The only guest we ever get is our folks and a very select few because we "live too far away" which is another story for another day. Usually its just me, the wife and our 2 dogs for a pretty long stretch of a time.

roar
02-19-2011, 16:40
good question. I have been thinking the same thing now that I got my 870 back up and running.

Glockin21
02-19-2011, 17:00
Above the headboard.Thats where i kept my Mossberg 590 many nights.

Free Radical
02-19-2011, 17:03
May I suggest this. Install a couple of bicycle hooks over the door on the inside of your bedroom closet. Your shot gun will rest there out of sight, and out of reach of little ones.

wtf0ver
02-19-2011, 18:53
May I suggest this. Install a couple of bicycle hooks over the door on the inside of your bedroom closet. Your shot gun will rest there out of sight, and out of reach of little ones.

thats a good idea. i ended up putting mine in a gun cabinet in the closet. locked up while im away and easy access when im home.

G23c
02-19-2011, 19:06
give it a drawer.

B Coyote
02-20-2011, 01:49
http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-a-magnetic-holster.htm

Make up two of them, one for the barrel and the other for the receiver. Mount it to your bedframe.

bc

WhiskeyUnicorn
02-20-2011, 06:23
I've one watching guard at the side of my bed with 5 shells in a speed feeder belt holster sitting on the night stand. I don't like it loaded as there are people that come over a lot and like rifle through my things

dc2integra
02-20-2011, 20:29
This is a good idea .I personally keep it leaning on the wall right next to me within reach.I have no kids and kids rarely come over if they do I lock my room up.

tx787
02-20-2011, 21:18
nobody does under the bed anymore?

B Coyote
02-20-2011, 21:57
I have a long canvas pouch, secured with Velcro strips along the top, with a tail stapled to a large particle board that fits between the mattress and box spring. It's very fast and accessible, but hidden from eyes that shouldn't see.

bc

Cesiumsponge
02-20-2011, 23:15
I've tried three locations and find them similar in concealment and ease of access. I've had pegs screwed into studs in the wall behind the headboard (I have a low headboard) and the shotgun rested on those pegs so it was recessed a few inches below the headboard and out of sight. I've had it resting vertically behind a tapestry that hangs over the bed (there is a 2-3" gap behind the tapestry) and that keeps it hidden. I've also had it in the gap between the mattress and headboard (about 4-6" of space) and that remains hidden when the bed is made and pillows are where they belong. All three have me within arm's reach of the shotgun when I'm in bed without needing to take my eyes off the door.

Under the bed seems too awkward for me. It requires me rolling halfway over, bending down, and fetching it. I find it quicker to grab the night stand handgun but it probably depends on what the situation is. If it's to investigate a bump in the night, you have the luxury of time to fetch the shotgun anywhere in the bedroom. If someone has already made their way inside your home and they're now trying your bedroom door which finally woke you up, your time luxury just went out the door. If you're barricading during an active burglary, your description makes it seem like you carry when about in the home so you'll already have a sidearm with you when you enter the bedroom to barricade. Considering you have dogs, you'll probably get some early warning if things seem fishy if you're inside the bedroom.

james plant
02-21-2011, 06:24
Try this: www.thegungrabber.com. I have one and it works well.

Denied
02-21-2011, 13:28
Keep mine in the clothes closet about three steps away from bed, this give me time to wake up before I grab the 870, it hangs from a short strap on the front sling swivel so the muzzle is almost against the ceiling while the but is 3 feet or so off the floor. Put a lock on the closet if I don't want visitors to have access also my flashlight is in the same place where I can grab both at the same time.

AA#5
02-21-2011, 13:40
My 870 is under the bed in a V-Line quick access box: It fits perfectly with a side saddle & Surefire Forend.

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=552 NOF="LayoutRegion5"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 NOF="LayoutRegion5"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD width=258><TABLE id=Table1 border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR align=right><TD colSpan=2 align=right>Shotgun Case

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=112 align=right>Model:

</TD><TD width=133 align=right>3842-SA

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=112 align=right>Outer Dim:

</TD><TD width=133 align=right>42"x 8"x 3"

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=112 align=right>Inner Dim:

</TD><TD width=133 align=right>40"x 7”x 3"

</TD></TR><TR><TD width=112 align=right>Ship Wt.

</TD><TD width=133 align=right>30 lbs.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=105 NOF="LayoutRegion5"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD height=11 width=15>http://vlineind.com/assets/images/autogen/clearpixel.gif</TD><TD></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top align=left><TD height=288></TD><TD vAlign=top width=90 align=left>******** language=Javascript><!--if(document.images) { var aButtonShotgun_Case = new Image(); aButtonShotgun_Case.src = "../assets/images/rifle2.jpg"; var dButtonShotgun_Case = new Image(); dButtonShotgun_Case.src = "../assets/images/rifle.jpg"; }//--></SCRIPT><!-- http://glocktalk.com/forums/../assets/images/rifle.jpg//-->http://vlineind.com/assets/images/rifle.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Bullman
02-21-2011, 22:04
I have been giving this some though right here. Keeps it secure when you aren't around, unlock it at night before you go to bed. I also have heard some folks suggest a hook right above it if you have it on an exposed wall instead of a closet, and then hang your bath robe on it.

http://santacruzgunlocks.com/setups/completehome.html

Robalero
02-22-2011, 04:50

This is the set up I have, works really well, easily accesible, out of site, and good to go! Be careful if you have little ones.

tnstaafl
02-24-2011, 07:25
No kids and only adult visitors. I have a platform bed on a bedframe (no box spring), so there's a decent amount of space under the bed. What I did was use some zip-ties to attach a piece of 5" diameter PVC pipe to the underside of the bed frame. The PVC runs parallel to the headboard, about 2 feet down from the headboard and about 1 foot in from the outside edge of the bed. The shotgun - Mossberg Maverick 88 with a pistol grip - slides easily into and out of the PVC, and the pistol grip is within easy reach if I need to roll out of bed to check on a sound in the night. Sometimes at night, I slide the gun out a bit so the pistol grip is just under the edge of the bed - so I don't have to reach far under the bed to get to it.

Unless you're bending over looking under the bed, the gun and its "holster" can't be seen.

polizei1
02-24-2011, 11:34
I would just put it in the corner...whenever you have guest over, unload it and put it away. If it's only you and your wife, what's the big deal?

I'm not understanding why you need to conceal it all the time. I leave my EMP in my VMII on my headboard at night. Seems to work for me!

maverick2076
02-24-2011, 13:08
I bought two towel hooks from Wal-Mart, padded them, and hung them from the side rail of my bed. The dust ruffle keeps the shotgun concealed, and the hooks keep it at arms reach even when I am laying in bed.

vafish
02-24-2011, 17:54
http://www.the-backup.com/

http://www.the-backup.com/js/3.jpg

David Armstrong
02-25-2011, 12:19
It really doesn't matter where you put it as long as it is reasonably secure from others and reasonably available to you when you need it. Under the bed, by the side of the bed, by the headboard, in the corner, in the closet....it just doesn't matter and really won't make much difference to the overall scheme of things.

Minnow
02-26-2011, 19:16
No kids. No special provisions needed except being able to access it easily without have to reach around a bunch of crap to get to it. I moved a simple gun cabinet into the bedroom after I got my real safe and I store it in there. I can lock it when my family's kids come over and when I go to work/out but other that that it is used as a gunrack only. If I didn't have that I would put it under the bed or prop it in a corner with something over it.

blueshot3
02-26-2011, 19:52
i keep a shotgun behind my door my door is in the corner of the room so when the door is open you cant see my shotgun i also keep a g 17 on the night stand but i dont have any kids

M1Garand
03-08-2011, 16:26
If you have kids or other non-trained persons in your house, you should secure your shotgun in a safe container. If you live by yourself, you probably can stage your shotgun any where in the house assuming you are not worried that it may get stolen.