mywebsearch [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mywebsearch

rfrf
02-19-2011, 18:48
How do I remove Mywebsearch completely ?
Thanks in Advance,

rfrf

srhoades
02-19-2011, 22:00
Download Malwarebytes, update it, run quick scan, remove everything it finds.

Pierre!
02-19-2011, 22:12
{sigh} And boot into SAFE MODE to do the scans.... Unless you like scanning a couple of times.

HTH.

rfrf
02-20-2011, 07:26
Thanks I will try it,

rfrf

IndyGunFreak
02-20-2011, 07:53
{sigh} And boot into SAFE MODE to do the scans.... Unless you like scanning a couple of times.

HTH.

Just for the record, I would run Safe mode without networking. My sister had that "Antivir 2011" virus... I scanned it once w/ Malwarebytes in safe mode (with networking) when I restarted back to normal, I still had the virus, despite removing it. After I ran it w/o networking, it removed it for good.

Only thing I can figure, is it somehow got on the net and rejuvenated itself while it was being removed.

Just to echo that though, ALWAYS run your malware software in Safe Mode.

IGF

rfrf
02-20-2011, 08:24
I ran Malwarebuyes and it removed Mywebsearch. Does Malwarebyte run in background or only when I operate scan ? Thanks for the great advice !

rfrf

IndyGunFreak
02-20-2011, 08:34
I ran Malwarebuyes and it removed Mywebsearch. Does Malwarebyte run in background or only when I operate scan ? Thanks for the great advice !

rfrf

Pretty sure the free version only runs when you are scanning.

Glad you got it fixed, Malwarebytes is a pretty slick program for removing this silliness.

IGF

Pierre!
02-20-2011, 09:27
Just for the record, I would run Safe mode without networking. My sister had that "Antivir 2011" virus... I scanned it once w/ Malwarebytes in safe mode (with networking) when I restarted back to normal, I still had the virus, despite removing it. After I ran it w/o networking, it removed it for good.

Only thing I can figure, is it somehow got on the net and rejuvenated itself while it was being removed.

Just to echo that though, ALWAYS run your malware software in Safe Mode.

IGF

Hey Indy,

C'mon Dood.... the *FIRST* time I leave off the 'w/ Networking' ya ding me for it... :rofl:

I honestly can't think of a time when 'w/ NETWORKING' made a difference, but I agree that if a virus does actually replace a legitimate Windows system file it could potentially load at start up. It does seem to me that anything other than Windows system files are stripped from SAFE MODE - so that you have a chance recover broken apps, perform diags, update drivers and such.

But you were correct to ass-u-me that I would normally include 'w/ NETWORKING'.... it's just that I was checkin to see if I could keep you Nix Guys on your toes... :supergrin:

Hope you got a great 3 day weekend cookin!

Keep Smiling...

Sgt. Schultz
02-20-2011, 16:35

Only thing I can figure, is it somehow got on the net and rejuvenated itself while it was being removed.IGF

I honestly can't think of a time when 'w/ NETWORKING' made a difference, but I agree that if a virus does actually replace a legitimate Windows system file it could potentially load at start up.

Hey guys ... I too had a virus that somehow showed back up after scanning while in safe mode WITH networking so now I unplug the network cable after updating whatever utility I'm going to be using ... if it's a really nasty virus or infected computer I'll reboot to safe mode W/O networking AFTER updating in safe mode.

Pierre!
02-20-2011, 16:57
Hey guys ... I too had a virus that somehow showed back up after scanning while in safe mode WITH networking so now I unplug the network cable after updating whatever utility I'm going to be using ... if it's a really nasty virus or infected computer I'll reboot to safe mode W/O networking AFTER updating in safe mode.

Yup, pretty much my new methodology... I boot into SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING really only on my systems.

Someone elses? Then we do the updates in SM w/NET, and scan in SM Only...

When you are on the clock, or bid by the job... just makes sense to knock it out *quickly*... :cool:

Pretty sure we all agree on that... :supergrin:

IndyGunFreak
02-20-2011, 17:07

That's what I've done...
1. Boot Safemode with Networking
2. Install Malwarebytes
3. Update Malwarebytes
4. Reboot to Safemode w/o Networking
5. Run Scans.

srhoades
02-20-2011, 22:27
Instead of all that hoopla just copy the latest definitions file from another computer that has malwarebytes and move it over on a thumb drive.

Drjones
02-21-2011, 13:41

rfrf

MalWareBytes is amazing....yes, the free version only scans when you open the software & initiate a scan.

You have to upgrade to the paid version to get real-time "resident" protection.