Ubuntu Install problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Install problems

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:24
OK, I'm repeating my posts from another forum, so some context may be missing. I'll try to address any issues I can. Anyway:

I'm trying to install Win7/Ubuntu side-by-side on my PC, but for some raisin the Live CD won't notice my HDD. I looked around on the net, and although a few ppl had similar problems, no solutions were found, and the problems weren't the same.

a) the HDD is 500GB so there's plenty of space left
b) GParted shows no HDDs on the system, not even an error
c) sudo fdisk -l does nothing at all

Could it have something to do with the boot device order? Might my HDD be on its way out? What do you think?

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:25
I also tried to "Install Ubuntu within Windows" using Wubi. I got this:

could not find the ISO /ubuntu/install/installation.iso This could also happen if the file system is not clean because of an operating system crash, an interrupted boot process, an improper shutdown, or unplugging of a removable device without first unmounting or ejecting it. To fix this, simply reboot into Windows, let it fully start, log in, run 'chkdsk /r', then gracefully shut down and reboot back into Windows. After this you should be able to reboot again and resume the installation.

Well isn't that shiny.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:28
I might note: I've installed Ubuntu on this machine before, so It's not that I'm not doing it right. However, this is the first time I've tried installing it using my new MoBo.

>My New MoBo Esta Aqui< (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131634)

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:30
According to this (http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1635512.html), you're motherboard's SATA controller isn't very linux friendly. Only a few boards are listed as being compatible, and surprise surprise, yours is absent.

Sorry brah. :(

Edit; You might try making sure your HDD is plugged into the "SATA 0" slot on the mobo.

This is the one thing I haven't tried yet - I'm fearful of losing my Win7 data, and I'm not sure it'll help. What do you all think?

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:31
OK, I tried setting my HDD in my BIOS to "AHCI" instead of IDE, but no luck. Now I'm attempting to install it directly onto a USB drive, to no avail. I get ready to install, hit "Forward", and it hangs. So far this attempt, it's been... maybe 5 minutes of the not-hourglass. Kinda reminds me of working on the iMacs in High School...

UPDATE; 5 MINS LATER: Apparently that may be a problem with Ubuntu Install not liking USB drives - as in it not working if any USB drives are on the PC at all, regardless of what the intended install drive is. Oy vey, this is becoming more and more of a headache.

UPDATE; 10 MINS LATER: neither does GParted. It'll fail to run if a USB drive is in my PC, and if I start it with nothing, stick in a USB drive, and refresh it, it'll instantly crash.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:32
I know I could try to throw in an IDE HDD, but the MoBo only has 1 IDE port, and that's taken up by an Optical Drive.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-20-2011, 20:42
>>LINK<< (http://politicallyuncensored.com/showthread.php?7154-Ubuntu-Live-Disc-not-working-properly&p=104573#post104573) to the original thread. Sorry, the language filter on that site is much more lax than it is here.

IndyGunFreak
02-21-2011, 05:12
I would be thankful the "Install Ubuntu inside Windows"(WUBI) didn't work... That's a great way to brick a system completely. At least where you are now, Windows still works. Sounds like your SATA controller isn't recognized, not much you can do at this point, unless you want to get really crazy recompiling the ISO. Are you trying to install the current version of Ubuntu? (10.10)

If so, you likely have one of two options...

1. Get a SATA Optical drive, to free the IDE port. Then there's a very good chance that Ubuntu will not recognize your Optical Drive.

2. Daisy chain your IDE drive, to your Optical drive. This would probably be the easiest(assuming you have an IDE hard drive laying around). All you'll really need is an IDE cable with a couple more connections on it. Set the optical as Slave, IDE HD as Master. Depending on how your case is designed, you might need a 5.25 Drive Bay adapter for your IDE hard drive....

Another thing to note if you end up going the "Daisy Chain" route.... Since the Ubuntu install procedure is not going to recognize the SATA Drive(which presumably has Win 7).... This will likely cause some issues w/ Grub picking up the second OS. Therefore, it is very important that when you do your partitioning, Choose "Advanced" and set up the "IDE" drive for your Ubuntu install(I'm assuming you know the type of partitions you need). Then at the bottom, it will ask for a "target drive" to install Grub. Make sure you set that to be the IDE drive. It's gonna be difficult to set up Grub2, to boot Windows, when Ubuntu doesn't recognize the SATA drive.

The absolute "worst" thing... that would happen in the above scenario, is you would have to change your boot sequence in your BIOS, to choose which OS to boot. If you want to boot Ubuntu, set the IDE drive first in the Boot Sequence, and you'll get a grub menu with your Ubuntu Boot options (very likely it won't have Windows there, since the installer can't see the SATA controller and SATA drive).... If you want to boot Windows 7, change the BIOS to boot the SATA Hard Drive First, and you will boot straight to Win 7, w/o hitting Grub.

It's not the worst thing in the world, you'll still have a dual boot system, but it will dual boot via the BIOS...

Need any help, feel free to ask.

IGF

TBO
02-21-2011, 07:30
IGF,

Thank you again for your help with my Ubuntu install. Still going strong on Netbook as a dual boot and solo OS on my old laptop. :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
02-21-2011, 09:18
IGF,

Thank you again for your help with my Ubuntu install. Still going strong on Netbook as a dual boot and solo OS on my old laptop. :wavey:

Glad to know it's still working for you..

Funny thing is, I've run into several people since helping you, that had the same problem you did w/ the "primary partitions"... The first few times, I had to go search that thread to remember how we fixed it... Now I've got it memorized.. :)

IGF

TBO
02-21-2011, 09:31
We were "trail blazers". :uglylol:

:cheers:

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-21-2011, 19:05
Switching my HDD to SATA 0 wouldn't cause any issues with W7, would it? I can't imagine that it would, but with my luck it would divide by 0 and cause political unrest in my home state or something.

Pierre!
02-21-2011, 22:40
Virtual Box will probably install first time... You mind running a virtual system?

Seems like it sure would remove the hassle you are going through.

ReyFufuRulesAll
02-21-2011, 23:47
Virtual Box will probably install first time... You mind running a virtual system?

I'd prefer to install Ubuntu properly, almost out of principle more than anything else. However, I'll probably end up doing just that and installing VM.

GIockGuy24
02-22-2011, 00:46
Maybe try the alternate install CD instead of the live CD.

IndyGunFreak
02-22-2011, 01:38
Switching my HDD to SATA 0 wouldn't cause any issues with W7, would it? I can't imagine that it would, but with my luck it would divide by 0 and cause political unrest in my home state or something.

It shouldn't matter...

The Alternate CD, is a good suggestion, but in my experience, it's not gonna get past a problem like this (although that's not to say it definitely won't). The Alt. CD is really best when you're facing 1. Low Memory, 2. GPU/Display issues(ie, display goes to sleep right when the live cd boots) 3. Low CPU power.

IGF

IndyGunFreak
02-22-2011, 08:51

The *ONLY* thing that sucks about Vbox, is it's obviously going to be a lot slower running two OS's at the same time, than running two OS's and dual booting.