Best Night Sights [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Night Sights

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:31
Planning on grabbing some night sights, As of now I have my eyes on Trijicons just wanted to know if there was anything better? Or how good the Trijicons are?

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:31
"As of now I have my eyes on Trijicons"-No pun intended haha

tuf8seconds
02-21-2011, 13:35
Planning on grabbing some night sights, As of now I have my eyes on Trijicons just wanted to know if there was anything better? Or how good the Trijicons are?

I have the same questions as you do...I bet you get so many different opinions and you still wont have a definitive answer to your question....I bet there aint no way to try 'em before you buy 'em either.

DustinU
02-21-2011, 13:38
I prefer my Tru Glo's... I did a comparison side by side years back 3 different sets of night sights and the Tru Glo's out shined them all...

http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;item?ItemCode=5600-00-0131GT1?company=TGI

Dustin :wow:

James Dean
Nothing wrong with Glock night sights. I have them on my G22 RTF2

Glockpimp
i have always used Trijicons or Glock factory sights. i'm going to pick up a set of Warren (http://www.skdtac.com/Warren_Tactical_Sight_Sevigny_Carry_Tritium_2_p/wrt.201.htm) sights for my 22 which uses Trijicon lamps also.

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:39
Ive never really paid for armorers work before, (usually do it myself) Whats a good price for install, Dnt have the time to do it.

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:41
This is also my first glock, I have the regular 3dot sights on my sr9 and sr9c, that why I want the 3 dot nights, i prefer that to the glock factory style.

rhorne
02-21-2011, 13:44
Ive never really paid for armorers work before, (usually do it myself) Whats a good price for install, Dnt have the time to do it.

You can send it back to Glock and they will do it for you. Right now though there is a long wait to get it turned around.

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:46
You can send it back to Glock and they will do it for you. Right now though there is a long wait to get it turned around.

Not sure id wanna wait for it. I would probaly just have my local gun store do it, just wanted an Idea on a good price

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:48
Thinking the Trijicons over the truglo

captdreifus
02-21-2011, 13:48
When I get my sights from Glockmeister, they install fo freeeeee

rhorne
02-21-2011, 13:49
There is nothing wrong with the Glock sights in my opinion. I have had them in the past. The 23 that I am carrying now has the trijicons. I can't see any noticeable difference.

Glock is not putting them on the gen 4 guns.

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 13:50
There is nothing wrong with the Glock sights in my opinion. I have had them in the past. The 23 that I am carrying now has the trijicons. I can't see any noticeable difference.

Glock is not putting them on the gen 4 guns.

Glock is putting which sights on Gen 4's

GRT45
02-21-2011, 13:52
I prefer the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro (Trijicon) set with the Hackathorn (Hack) front sight (Trijicon green tritium tube with orange outline) and wide U-notch rear sight with single, yellow tritium dot. I have the AmeriGlo I-Dot Pro green/yellow set (GL-204 pictured below) on my G30SF .45ACP pistol. The product model is GL-202 for the G19 9mm.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii251/UnPkg/I-Dot_Pro_GL-204.jpg

AmeriGlo offers a green/green version too (GL-201 for G19, GL-203 for G30).

The yellow tritium at the rear sight is definitely not as bright as the green, but that's a characteristic I prefer. Under conditions of near total darkness and heightened anxiety, I feel the brighter green tritium focuses attention on the front sight and can't be confused with the rear sight as it might if both were green dots of nearly equal brightness.

I also much prefer a two-dot night sight configuration over a three dot system (two at rear). I believe a three dot system is more distracting, slower to get aligned on target and more prone to confuse the shooter in near total darkness. It's just my opinion and a personal preference. Some shooters like a tritium front sight only with a plain black rear sight, but I prefer something on the rear sight to index front and rear in total darkness just in case it's needed.

The orange outline on the Hack front sight really stands out in daylight. The bright front sight and wide notch on the rear sight make for very fast target acquisition in normal indoor and outdoor light. The orange color on the front sight is painted on, but it's claimed to be very durable. Even so, I avoid exposing it to harsh cleaning solvents to be on the safe side.

Some shooters prefer the Meprolight tritium tubes because brightness is their top priority. The characteristic I look for is a sharp, well-defined dot and Trijicons excel in that category whereas the Meprolights are more a glowing orb in appearance.

AmeriGlo offers a 10% discount using Promo Code: GLOCKTALK

Grinchster
02-21-2011, 14:15
I have tru glow on my 23. Trijicon on my Kimber UC2. Can't see any difference in the two. I guess time will tell which one will outshine the other the longest.

rhorne
02-21-2011, 14:22
Glock is putting which sights on Gen 4's

They are only putting night sights on the 25th anniversary. For now there will not be any night sights installed on gen4. This according to there techs.

I know there is none available with ns from the distributors. You may find a few gen4's from last year available.

sr975j
02-21-2011, 14:25
I really like my truglo tfo's

Sam

DannyR
02-21-2011, 14:44
Meprolight and Glock use Meprolight tubes. All others use trijicon tubes. All are good. Best is a personal preference. I prefer the options available at www.ameriglo.com

one73maro
02-21-2011, 14:45
I have the trijicons on my G23 and my P220. Then a set of the TFO's on my G27. The trijicons glow nice and bright in the dark but in the daylight you just see the white dots. Now the TFO's they glow just as bright in the dark. But in the daylight and low light conditions the TFO's are amazing. I plan on getting the TFO's for all of my future night site needs.

jamaicanj
02-21-2011, 15:15
I love my sevigny carry sights with tritium...model number is scy-11. It has trijicon lamps with green up front and a single dimmer yellow bar on the rear.

RayB
02-21-2011, 15:40
My Take On Night Sights...

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.
We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights, and have a protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

TSAX
02-21-2011, 15:58

Self-Luminous Tritium Night Sights incorporate small tritium-charged lamps as sight markers. The hermetically sealed lamps consist of glass ampoules coated internally with phosphor and charged with tritium gas (Hydrogen 3). Free electrons in the decaying tritium gas strike and excite the phosphor coating, emitting light, much the way a CRT (Cathode Ray Tube) monitor or older television does. Tritium gas is a byproduct of nuclear fission. Tritium poses no health hazard unless it is ingested or inhaled. On average, you can expect 12+ years of useful light from tritium sights.

Glock OEM Night Sights utilize Meprolight lamps, and when purchased with the gun, are about the best deal going! The OEM models are combat-type sights, which typically had a staked-on front sight that dedicated that sight to one gun; but recently, we’ve been getting reports of a threaded-on front sight being the new standard for this set up. They are excellent bull's-eye sights out to 30-feet or so.
We’ve also been hearing that Glock now offers Trijicon night sights, installed by the factory.

Meprolight Night Sights are rugged, well-made, low profile, combat-type sights, with a wide front blade to rear sight notch aspect. Israeli-made Meprolights were the first tritium night sights marketed for use on popular pistols and rifles. Their large lamps appear brighter than other night sights, partly because the interior of the lamp housings has a bright-white coating to increase internal reflection. The lamps and white plastic o-ring markers appear to be embedded in polished epoxy, which resists solvents and makes for easy cleaning. By design, the front sight appears brighter than the rear sight.

Trijicon Night Sights offer tritium lamps surrounded by an aluminum sleeve, pressed into the sight housing, and covered by a sapphire lens. This lens makes the sight markers appear very sharp in the dark, Vs. Meprolight's glowing orbs, and protects the lamps from external damage. The narrower front blade to rear sight notch aspect will be appreciated by sharper eyed shooters at the range. The quality is excellent, but care should be taken when cleaning to avoid harsh solvents and aggressive scrubbing, as the white o-rings are painted on. The new Trijicon HD sights rival AmeriGlo's Operator-style Sights, and have a protective coating over the front sight marker.

AmeriGlo offers the best selection of night sights available. Quality is first-rate, as the sights combine Trijicon lamps with white PVC O-rings for markers. A combination of sight profiles, blade and notch widths, marker configurations, sizes and lamp colors, offers something for everyone. I really like their Operator sights with a green front and yellow rear lamps!

XS Big Dot sights are high quality combat sights, designed for SHTF situations. Place that big white dot on center mass, and if your trigger control is good, you will hit your target, out to 30-feet or better. The night sight picture is pleasing and easily picked up. These are a specialty sight, and many will find them wanting for range use; conversely, others will master them for target use too. More than any sight I know of, people like them or they don't.

Note: Lamp colors are often mixed today, combining the familiar green with yellow or orange, even red or blue tritium lamps. The brighter appearing green, always goes to the front... I personally like the two color set up, using yellow or orange rear lamps, with the green front. Note that green and yellow have a similar lamp-life, while other colors such as orange or red, may have half the lamp-life.

Summary: These are just a few night sights we've had first-hand experience with. There are other quality products, and some not-so-quality products out there to try. Some are innovative and novel--like TrueGlo TFOs. Some are known to be problematic--like TruGlo TFOs. Any of the premium brands--i.e., Novak, Heinie, Dawson Precision, Bomar, etc.---should be excellent. The warranty is a good indicator of the manufacturer's confidence in their product.

--Ray

:goodpost:

Two-Six
02-21-2011, 16:15

--Ray

Agreed! Thanks for the post. I think im gonna get the trijicons.

Can someone give me an installation ballpark

sr975j
02-21-2011, 22:03
i am unaware of issues with the tfo's...someone educate me.

Sam

TSAX
02-21-2011, 22:14
Something to consider

http://www.xssights.com/sightimages.html

secretsquirell35m
02-22-2011, 02:27
Every where I have tried is sold out and back ordering the xs big dot

DLL9mm
02-22-2011, 02:59

In Stock.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/XS-Sight-Systems-247-Big-Dot-Tritium-Sights/741387.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProduc ts%26Ntt%3Dxs%2Bsights%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=xs+sights&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Also check Ebay.

Two-Six
02-22-2011, 12:43
Called a local gs today, they said all 6 distributors are sold out for my g19. Any reason??

Skipper Bob
02-22-2011, 23:44
I have the Truglo TFO`s on my G--17 4th gen. They are very bright in the day light (big help for older eyes) and as good as any of the night sights for low light work! Had Trijicons on before, but the TFO`S are so much better in the day for these tired old eyes with glasses.

Peter95
02-23-2011, 14:21
i purchased ameriglo's and they are labeled trijicon's.
I have a set of trijicon's, and they shine just as bright.

I believe trijicon supplies ameriglo with the vials. I do like the different style ameriglo offers so i would say ameriglo.

RayB
02-23-2011, 15:33
i am unaware of issues with the tfo's...someone educate me.

Sam

If you can get this site's search engine to work for you, you will find that there are more complaints about TruGlo TFOs than all other sight brands combined. It's a fact. :whistling:

Complaints Have Included:

- Poor Workmanship
- Poor Finish
- Poor Fit
- FO Rods Falling Out
- Lamp Failure
- Poor Customer Service
- Crappy 90-Day Warranty

Now, some of the failures might be attributed to some hack--professional or amateur--doing a poor job of installing their TFO sights. We're not sure. :dunno:

But some complaints were regarding new TFOs, right out of the box. :shocked:

And there were plenty of instances of shooter's loving their new TFOs, only to report later that the sights had failed in one way or another. :crying:

One GT member, not so long ago, posted a detailed process by which to beef-up your new TFO sights, so that they don't fall apart over time... It was a considerate article, and a labor of love, from an experienced shooter determined to make these otherwise cool sights work! :sigh:

And TFOs are all kinds of cool! They just don't have a solid track record of being durable, dependable, or well-made! And their 90-Day Warranty is the crappiest in the industry! :shakehead:

--Ray

duncan
04-02-2011, 16:27
Nothing wrong with Glock night sights. I have them on my G22 RTF2

Just had some Glock night sights with Mep tritium vials installed today!

wtf0ver
04-02-2011, 21:39

Just order them directly from XS. That's what I did, and since they are the manufacturer they have no backorder

RJ1670
04-11-2011, 19:14
Installation shouldn't cost more than $20 at a local gun shop or a local gunsmith.

Thrill
04-15-2011, 02:14
Watching the info here,... trying to learn and decide what night sights to get myself.