Ammo selection for a HD shotgun? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ammo selection for a HD shotgun?

KiloBravo
02-21-2011, 13:25
Hello Mas,

I picked up a new 18" brl 12 ga. yesterday that will take over the home defense stable when myself and the little lady lay our heads down at night. I realize how important target identification is, so I already took the liberty of rigging up a mount to accommodate a nice high output flashlight.

My question is is...I have heard so many times that some folks alternate between buck shot and slugs for this very application of a pump shotgun. I have mine loaded with standard 3" magnum 00 buckshot from Remington. The 15 pellets put a nice sized hole in a man sized target, and they are very accurate out of this firearm.

Would you say I am doing myself any dis-service by running 5+1 rounds of all buckshot? I would like to think that would be enough to handle just about anything.

Sorry for the lengthy question, but wanted to be sure I covered everything.

Respectfully,

DeerPredator

Mas Ayoob
02-21-2011, 14:16
I think all buckshot makes very good sense for home defense. Only thing you might want to reconsider would be a switch to low recoil 2 3/4" shells. 3" Mag 12 gauge buckshot induces a lot of big men to flinch and hesitate, let alone anyone who could be described as "the little lady." If nine 00 buck pellets at optimum depth don't stop the attack, five more in the same pattern probably won't make as much difference as another nine delivered to another part of the anatomy, IMMEDIATELY. No matter how strong or skilled the shotgunner, the urgent followup hit can be accomplished faster if the initial shot load has delivered lighter recoil to the shooter.

best,
Mas

KiloBravo
02-21-2011, 14:45
I think all buckshot makes very good sense for home defense. Only thing you might want to reconsider would be a switch to low recoil 2 3/4" shells. 3" Mag 12 gauge buckshot induces a lot of big men to flinch and hesitate, let alone anyone who could be described as "the little lady." If nine 00 buck pellets at optimum depth don't stop the attack, five more in the same pattern probably won't make as much difference as another nine delivered to another part of the anatomy, IMMEDIATELY. No matter how strong or skilled the shotgunner, the urgent followup hit can be accomplished faster if the initial shot load has delivered lighter recoil to the shooter.

best,
Mas

Thanks so much for the speedy response. You made me think about another aspect I had not considered. I understand what you are saying too about faster follow up shots. I happen to have a few boxes of standard 2 3/4 00 buck in the ammo locker. I will test some out and then make the swap.

Thanks again! :wavey: