Random failing of CD-R to record [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Random failing of CD-R to record

srhoades
02-21-2011, 14:28
At our church we have a unit that records the sermon onto a CD-R. Occasionally the recording will fail at random times with an error on the unit that indicates that it is a bad disc. However, we have been getting more and more of these. I checked the last failed disc and when it gets to the point of failure, the windows system log records bad blocks on the CDROM. We use TDK discs so I'm not all that confident in blaming the discs. My question is, can a CD burner that is going bad produce bad blocks on a CD, or is it just a bad batch of discs?

HotRoderX
02-21-2011, 14:40
Umm It sounds like it might be the CD drive how long have u been using it? Is it only used to record the 1 sermon or how many times a week is it used. Also take a few of the disk fill them up and record them on a computer if they dont fail it would seem more like the CD Drive then the DISK. Also TDK is high Quality media so I dont think its media but never rule it out

srhoades
02-21-2011, 15:04
We only use it once a week, for about an hour recording. The drive is at between 5-6 years old.

HotRoderX
02-21-2011, 15:29
with what u have said it sounds like a bad drive then special being so old. 5-6 years old. I gone thought several burners my self and most last about 3 years.

Bad blocks on the disk normal means a issue with the drive it self. 99% of my bad disk the disk with either fail to read or fail to be recognized period. Not to mention TDK makes some of the best media around stuff isn't cheap.

You could try some different media but with the age of the drive a replacement might be a better option.

Depending on the drive type and enclosure you might can just pick up a new drive from somewhere like newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151176&cm_re=CD-RW_burner-_-27-151-176-_-Product

That is a OEM drive it doesn't come with a manual, Screws, cables, booklet on install, but its a lot cheaper then most retail stores like bestbuy.

Hope this info helps.

srhoades
02-21-2011, 15:44
Well that is part of the problem. The unit uses a TEAC drive (which is so old I can't even find a used one) with a special front bezel to fit in the unit. And aside from that the recording unit doesn't use the physical button to open and close the drive, it sends a signal to the drive itself via an electronic button. I tried another drive which sits recessed in the unit, which isn't a big deal but the unit won't open and close the drive with the button.

epoxy252
02-21-2011, 20:07
Well that is part of the problem. The unit uses a TEAC drive (which is so old I can't even find a used one) with a special front bezel to fit in the unit. And aside from that the recording unit doesn't use the physical button to open and close the drive, it sends a signal to the drive itself via an electronic button. I tried another drive which sits recessed in the unit, which isn't a big deal but the unit won't open and close the drive with the button.

I would just cut to the chase and get an external. They can be had almost as inexpensively as internal drives. Or you can get a enclosure for the one you tried to replace the internal one with.

I have the older version of this one for my media server and it works great.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151231

srhoades
02-21-2011, 20:18
The unit is rack mounted in an audio cabinet and receives audio input via another piece of equipment, you can't just toss in an external usb drive. There is a newer unit that is essentially identical but records digitally to compact flash cards. If push comes to shove, we are going to do that, but if the current unit can be fixed we would rather not spend the money.

Here is a link to the current unit.

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=3925

epoxy252
02-21-2011, 20:43
The unit is rack mounted in an audio cabinet and receives audio input via another piece of equipment, you can't just toss in an external usb drive. There is a newer unit that is essentially identical but records digitally to compact flash cards. If push comes to shove, we are going to do that, but if the current unit can be fixed we would rather not spend the money.

Here is a link to the current unit.

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=3925

Sorry didn't realize it was a rackmount, some sources on the internets say its a rebadged Tascam CDRW700/750 not sure if its true or not but they do look identical. Perhaps you can get a replacement drive from a tascam.

HotRoderX
02-21-2011, 20:59
depending on price of a new drive from the manufacture you might be better off getting a new unit. There is always the risk of something else breaking down especial in electronics. Also you might try ebay its kinda a toss up but you might could find the drive or the unit extremely cheap.

srhoades
02-21-2011, 21:37
I searched for the exact model of the drive. I found no new ones, and 1 used one, which I'm not going to touch. The company is closed today, I'll call them later to see if they have any drives lying around and if they are willing to sell one at a reasonable cost.

srhoades
02-23-2011, 16:44
Just thought you all would like to know I was able to contact the parts division of the company and they will gladly sell me a replacement CD drive for only $247 + $7 s+h, this when you can get a brand new digital unit that records to compact flash for $399. I literally laughed out loud at the guy and hung up.