Window XP System Keeps Freezing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Window XP System Keeps Freezing

OldUglyNAngry
02-21-2011, 15:35
I'm running Windows XP and for the past couple of weeks my PC keeps freezing, including the taskbar. I did a Destructive Recovery, thinking I had a virus, and ran full system scan using MALWAREBYTES and AVG2011.

I'm still having the same problem. I'm using Mazilla Firefox as my browser and it seems that when I'm using the taskbar to move between internet and other applications that's what's causing the freezing. Coincident or could that be part of the problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ps. Please do not offer suggestions of malware or anti virus software. Thanks!

Pierre!
02-21-2011, 23:31
Here are a couple thoughts:

#1 - Always scan in SAFE MODE - This will reduce the need for destructive re-installs. If you need to update your AV / AM, do so either in the loaded OS, or in SAFE MODE w/ NETWORKING, then reboot into SAFE MODE and scan away. If you don't scan in SAFE MODE, most viruses will be cloaked from the AV / AM scanner and won't be caught.

#2 - Disable all Add On's in Firefox and see how it works.

#3 - Simply installing Google's Chrome browser would be easier than #2... so consider this as an option, as would running IE v8

#4 - Does the hard drive come up error free when you do a 'CHKDSK C: /F' ?

I am curious to know what you actually did for the Destructive Recovery process. It would be usefull to know the steps you took to perform this Destructive Recovery.

And - where are you physical located? I am wondering due to the Solar anomalies in recent weeks. Just a little personal study I am performing - I don't want your address, just city / state and country if not in the USA.

Hope that gets you going in the right direction.

srhoades
02-22-2011, 00:01
start>run>eventvwr.msc>system

do you see disk errors? If so your hard drive is failing.

Other than that I would download the memtest ISO and check your RAM.

OldUglyNAngry
02-22-2011, 06:14
Ran two programs, one to check the hard drive and one to check the RAM and both check out fine. Also did the 'CHKDSK C: /F' and did not get any errors. So far today all is well.

Solar anomalies? Well I'm in Northfield, Ohio

I appreciate all your suggestions. Will keep you posted.
Thanks, Old....

Toyman
02-22-2011, 09:28
It could also be a failing fan or dust clogging the heat sink. When the CPU or other electronics get overheated, you'll see all kinds of funny things happen.

If it tends to happen after running a while, and still happens after rebooting, but not after shutting down and letting the computer cool down, that's a pretty good indication of a cooling problem.

mkohlbecker
02-22-2011, 09:56
I'm running Windows XP and for the past couple of weeks my PC keeps freezing, including the taskbar. I did a Destructive Recovery, thinking I had a virus, and ran full system scan using MALWAREBYTES and AVG2011.

I'm still having the same problem. I'm using Mazilla Firefox as my browser and it seems that when I'm using the taskbar to move between internet and other applications that's what's causing the freezing. Coincident or could that be part of the problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help.

ps. Please do not offer suggestions of malware or anti virus software. Thanks!

Save all 3 tabs of the event viewer and post it were it can be reviewed.

Do not turn off the system when it freezes. Leave it on for a little while, to see if it is doing a dump or mini dump.

Take a screen shot of your device manager and post it.

Go to the manufacturer's website and download all the driver packages and install them. Who is the manufacturer? If you put it together yourself send me the FCC ID off the board and all the cards.

Remove half of the memory and try it. If it still happens, swap it for the half you removed and try again.

Look at the Planar/System board.
http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1421/1000659mu7.jpg

Look and see if you can find Diags for your system.