Ubuntu 10.10 - Cann't Get Compiz Cube Running [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu 10.10 - Cann't Get Compiz Cube Running

duncan
02-21-2011, 19:34
I know it's a noob question. Been to ubuntuforums but no specific answer. Read more than a dozen how-tos and I still am missing something.

I have installed Compiz and Compiz Fusion.

But everytime I try to start the cube by turning on special effects in the Appearance menu, I get a message stating that Mutter is running.

I've logged off and back on under Gnome and see that I can turn on Special Effects there.

I have opened terminals and confirmed the routine that shows the gears if your graphics card/chip will support. It works.

Running this on an ASUS Eee 1.6 ghz Atom Processor with 100 gigs of partition.

I want this:

http://wiki.compiz.org/Welcome?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=cube2.png

Anyone know how to get this puppy running?

Linux3
02-21-2011, 19:54
I don't think the on-board graphics in an Asus EEE will support the rotating cube.
Best info for Ubuntu that I know of.
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick#Desktop_Add-ons

duncan
02-21-2011, 21:57
Thanks Linux3.

I feared that after installing compiz through terminal - so proud of myself - I then thought - dang - this Atom processor might not support da cube.

duncan
02-21-2011, 21:57
Linux folks?

Anyone?

GIockGuy24
02-21-2011, 22:40
My MSI netbook has the same Intel netbook graphics as the Asus netbook and the cube works fine in Knoppix Linux. In Knoppix, 3d open GL is enabled for Intel graphics and Compiz is installed and enabled by default. It has the cube as soon as it first boots.

GIockGuy24
02-22-2011, 01:48
It looks like it may be an issue with Ubuntu 10.10.

duncan
02-22-2011, 01:51
What if I unintsalled Mutter?

GIockGuy24
02-22-2011, 02:02
What if I unintsalled Mutter?

I saw some workarounds, but most looked liked they didn't stay after a reboot. Anything is worth a try.

IndyGunFreak
02-22-2011, 02:39
It should work. I've ran Compiz on my Aspire One (pretty sure we have the same Intel graphics chipset)... and everything was fine.

Go through Compiz Configuration Settings again, and double check everything.

duncan
02-22-2011, 02:59
Even in Gnome, I cannot adjust the number of destops greater that one which is why I don't have a cube:dunno:

IndyGunFreak
02-22-2011, 08:35
Even in Gnome, I cannot adjust the number of destops greater that one which is why I don't have a cube:dunno:

type lspci in a terminal and hit enter, and find your graphics device, and post it here....

If you go to system/preferences/appearance/Visual effects... Set it to "Extra" Do you get an error that desktop effects cannot be enabled? If Desktop effects enables (make sure you choose to "Keep Settings" when you choose Extra)... If you move Windows around, do you get the "Wobbly Windows" effect?

duncan
02-23-2011, 01:04
Well guys, I have it running on the Gnome side under Ubuntu Desktop and I'm happy.

Just took some tinkering.

Thanks.