LAN connection disappearing, XP Media center Ed. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LAN connection disappearing, XP Media center Ed.

filthy infidel
02-21-2011, 19:57
I performed a clean reinstall on my dad's five or six year old Emachines box, a few weeks later he had no internet connection. Wireless by the same modem/router good to a laptop. His LAN connection was not showing in 'network connections'. No malware found via Malwarebytes or Superantyspware. System restore did not repair the condition. Due to the very simple nature of his system I simply did a reinstall and saved his docs/preferences/favs/etc.

He was back online for a month. Now he's not (about a month later). I performed an unsuccessful restore. Installed an Nvidea NIC, no go. The box is in my truck and I'll work on it tomorrow, but wth is going on? I build boxes all day long and have no issues, this is a different animal. We are running Avast free edition fwiw.

kc8ykd
02-21-2011, 21:36
i'm assuming the nic that's disappearing is the onboard ?

was the nvidia nic you installed a card or something ? i didn't know nvidia did more than onboard nics.

my first suspicion is that the problem is an intermittently (obviously) failing onboard inc, which could be indicative of a pending motherboard failure.

for troubleshooting, i would install another nic and see if you encounter the same problem. if you do, it could be a software issue. if you don't, i'd lean more towards the mobo being the issue and start running frequent backups (if you don't want to preemptively replace it).

i'm going to guess it's running something more recent than 98, i would also take some time and inspect the event manager logs (system logs, specifically) for anything unusual (start with anything with a stop sign next to it, then move on to one's with the !).

filthy infidel
02-22-2011, 07:46
I had suspected the NIC although there were no issues noted in the Event manager OR the Devise manager... shoulda brought my bag of drivers with the NIC. Will let you know what I find out today.

filthy infidel
02-22-2011, 14:05
Well, the NIC I installed is the ubiquitous Realtek rtl8139c, drivers are good, green lights. XP states that a network cable is disconnected...although it is downloading XP updates. Internet Explorer just seems to 'hang', never does display the dreaded 'cannot connect' page. Loopback pings fine, I pinged Google and a local site just fine....

kc8ykd
02-22-2011, 15:07
that's very unusual that it shows disconnected as the status and yet works ok for windows update and the rest of the tcp/ip stack, other than the part that lets applications communicate with it.

i'd lean towards some software problem, assuming your realtek card is known good has worked ok in the past.

filthy infidel
02-22-2011, 15:52
Well since I got a good ping and loopback I leaned towards SW as well. Popped my jumpdrive in with IE8.exe and now internet browsing works. I think this is what I did a month ago when this first happened.... will put some Firefox on board as well and see what happens.

kc8ykd
02-22-2011, 16:34
hm, and you didn't find anything with malwarebytes while scanning in safe mode either, that's strange.

i wonder if there's any unusual proxy settings in there as well.

filthy infidel
02-22-2011, 17:01
hm, and you didn't find anything with malwarebytes while scanning in safe mode either, that's strange.

i wonder if there's any unusual proxy settings in there as well.

Well I've just decided to to a nondestructive reinstall. It never fully installed IE8 and hangs for an hour at four of ten updates, wont allow the restore to be undone. It works but I figure since it is in my office I may as well reload. The only bugger is the audio driver for this particular MOBO.....