Winchester 1897 Holes [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1897 Holes

GlockGuru182
02-22-2011, 09:39
I recently inherited my grandfather's Winchester 1897 Trench gun. In memoriam of him, I will be restoring the gun and this means taking off the scope mount he installed and finding a period correct heat shield and bayonet lug. There will be two holes on the upper receiver after the mount is removed, so how can I fill these? Will I need to get somebody with a MIG welder and then reblue the gun? What are my options? Here are some pics for everybody, thanks!
http://i53.tinypic.com/51pz0x.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/205tlzc.jpg

eisman
02-24-2011, 11:12
Is the barrel a factory CYL? If so you'll need to replace the front sight bead also.

You'll need a new stock; the pad and sling stud are not correct. Is the wood ORD marked? If not you may just as well junk it.

The holes can be filled by MIG/TIG but you'll need to recut the inside and refinish the gun to match. It's nickel alloy steel, so it's going to turn purple if done wrong. Make sure you polish it; they didn't have matte finish on the 1897's.

Most of the originals I've seen do not have the guard or bayonet attachment.

You might want to make sure it was originally a trench gun before you get started.

GlockGuru182
02-25-2011, 11:36
Is the barrel a factory CYL? If so you'll need to replace the front sight bead also.

You'll need a new stock; the pad and sling stud are not correct. Is the wood ORD marked? If not you may just as well junk it.

The holes can be filled by MIG/TIG but you'll need to recut the inside and refinish the gun to match. It's nickel alloy steel, so it's going to turn purple if done wrong. Make sure you polish it; they didn't have matte finish on the 1897's.

Most of the originals I've seen do not have the guard or bayonet attachment.

You might want to make sure it was originally a trench gun before you get started.
The barrel is a factory CYL. I've done some more research and I see that the sling studs are not correct so it was a riot gun. I can't put the heat shield on this particular gun because it doesn't have the notches on the underside of the barrel for the bayonet lug screws. I'm just going to get it reblued and restain the wood. I went out and put 100 rounds through it yesterday, it cloverleafed at 50 yards with slugs and went 49/50 on the skeet range

mike4570
02-25-2011, 14:46
Get some plug screws with the same thread pitch as the scope base screws. De grease the holes and the plug screws and install them using red Loctite. Give it a day to dry then, carefully file them flush with the top of the reciever.
Touch up with a little cold blue and call it good.

RS7
02-25-2011, 16:57
If that was my Grandfather's shotgun, I'd leave it just the way it is.... Well, I might get a new sling and a decent red-dot, but the wear on that gun speaks to its past and his adventures with it. It's the way he wanted it.

Scared_of_zombies
02-25-2011, 17:08
If he put it on, leave it. If my grandather could see the guns he left behind they would be exactly the way he last saw them. YMMV.

GlockGuru182
02-27-2011, 20:04
My grandfather liked to monkey with all his guns, he'd get them perfect and then keep going and mess them up. The man loved to tinker and I just want to get the gun into shape where I can use it often, I can't shoot skeet and clays or use it for home defense when there's a 2-7x scope on it. I think I may just get a new sling and a cheap heat shield be done with it. The holes aren't even that noticeable and being able to put a scope mount back on is pretty nice. Anybody know if this would fit?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=453785