Factory Installed quad rail canted [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Factory Installed quad rail canted

ATL_GLOCK
02-22-2011, 10:02
I have a stag model 5 with the factory samson star-c isntalled rail. I bought this gun used. Upon inspection I didnt notice there is a slight cant in the quad rail. I mount my red dot m4 on the front rail and 5x magnifier behind it. The my optics shoot low and to the right, I suspect from the red dot being canted to the right on the on the rail. What are somethings I can do to correct this issue? Sould I just deal with it and zero in the red dot as is or can the quad rail be adjusted?

Constructor
02-23-2011, 21:53
Most of the time it comes from the barrel nut threads on the receiver being out of square with the bore of the receiver, that points the rail out of line with the receiver rail. Other times the rails are just twisted since most are extrusions that are squeezed through a die at 900 degrees, the 12ft long extrusions are pinched on each end and pulled to straighten the hot extrusion, sometimes they twist.
To be more accurate you should always mount your optics to the receiver even if you have to use a cantilever rail. Handguards/quadrails flex no matter how stiff they feel and accuracy goes out the window.

ATL_GLOCK
02-24-2011, 08:30
I have a cantilever rail, and a 5x magnifier behind it, and troy battle sights behind it....Guess I'm going to need to utilized all the room I can to get it all to fit.

Constructor
02-24-2011, 22:01
Guess you're going to have to live with it then

ATL_GLOCK
02-28-2011, 08:15
took your advice and relocated all the optics to the receiver and re-zero'd. Gun is as accurate as I can shoot it now.

Thanks for the advice!

Constructor
02-28-2011, 22:56
Glad to hear it

ATL_GLOCK
03-01-2011, 08:55
I've included a picture for fun..it's a tight squeeze but it all works and fits!

http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp175/espartis/Guns/pics089.jpg