Speer GD Short Barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Speer GD Short Barrel

Sippo
02-22-2011, 09:41
Sir,
I currently carry the Glock 19 and 26 for personal defense. I use and stock the standard version Gold Dot 124 +P as well as the Short Barrel version of the Gold Dot 124 +P.
Speer's ballistic tables show the muzzle energy for the standard version is 410 foot pounds from a 4" barrel, while the Short Barrel version delivers 364 foot pounds from a 3.5" barrel. I recall reading the Short Barrel bullet is designed to open quicker for pistols with barrels less than 4" .
Performance-wise how would you best match these ammo choices with the two pistols? I'm wondering if the Short Barrel version is the better selection for the two, or is the standard version still optimal for the G19. Is there any street experience that speaks to the use of the Short Barrel over the standard version in either pistol?

Thank you.

Mas Ayoob
02-22-2011, 09:48
Ballistically, it's pretty much a coin toss. The Short Barrel load might open up a little too soon when going faster from a longer barrel. The 124+P works fine out of the short G26. Personally, I'd stay with the 124 Gold Dot +P.
best,
Mas