Unarmed combat training recommendation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Unarmed combat training recommendation

AcenJay
02-22-2011, 11:49
Hello Mas,

I'm now 33 and out of shape, but not overweight. I suffer from neck and back problems in the form of a couple herniated cervical discs and minor lower back pain, but they are not severe, and I would say I'm still pretty physically capable.

My self-defense practice for the last 12 years has consisted of conceal carrying a firearm most of the time wherever and whenever I'm allowed to. I've practiced and trained by going to the range, participating in IDPA and USPSA, and taking training classes. However, there are still places where carrying a firearm is not allowed or is ill-advised, which is why I believe knowing some form of unarmed combat or martial arts is important.

I have not regularly practiced martial arts since I was 15, which was tae-kwon-do, and a bit of jiu-jitsu. I took a trial with a mixed martial arts school several years ago, but I didn't like being felt like I was being thrown to the wolves and getting beaten up, slammed, and stunned by younger and stronger guys, especially with my neck problems.

Is there a specific kind of unarmed combat training or martial arts that you would recommend to me that might not be exceedingly brutal on my body and spine? Otherwise, might finding and attending a good mixed martial arts school be doable if they are able to cater to my possible physical limitations?

Thank you for your time.

Mas Ayoob
02-23-2011, 06:42
AcenJay, I'd look around for instructors in Aikido and Taiho-Jutsu, and explain to them beforehand the delicate medical condition you're dealing with. These arts use redirection of force rather than hard impact, and with an understanding instructor who can adjust the flow of practice and training to the physical limitations of an injured students, will probably get you the most useful stuff with the least chance of aggravating an old injury or sustaining a new one.
best,
Mas