124/127gr 9mm+p jhp'svs. 135gr. .40s&w jhp's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 124/127gr 9mm+p jhp'svs. 135gr. .40s&w jhp's

BailRecoveryAgent
02-22-2011, 17:15
Hey Mas,
I've been helping out a family member with learning the basics of gun handling, loading, cleaning, shooting etc and he is ready to purchase his first handgun which will also be carried for SD. Even though I'm a fan of the .40 caliber, I recommended he start out with a 9mm since he's a beginner. He likes shooting my G23, and now he's on the fence about which to purchase. He's been doing his homework on ballistics, and he's read several articles by you and some other writers, and he is wondering, as am I, if the ballistics are substantially better with the 135 grain .40 jhp's that I believe you are a fan of, over the 124/127+p 9mm rounds?

I understand the recoil/muzzle flip is quite substantial in the 135 grain .40 round, but is it that much worse than the +p 9mm offerings? I know they are both proven rounds, and just wanting to get your take on the ballistic differences and the felt recoil of each. Which of these do you feel you would recommend for the first time handgun owner/carrier?

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
02-23-2011, 06:46
Agree with you that 9mm will be more affordable for skill-building practice.

To answer your other question, the 135 grain JHP at full velocity of 1300 fps or more is one of the most devastating loads out there. The slower loads of that bullet in .40, not so much. The full velocity 135 grain loads are only available from the smaller "boutique" ammo houses.

I'd rather have a 124/127 grain 9mm at 1250 than a slow-moving 135 grain, but the full speed 135 grain .40 will definitely give you a somewhat more impressive wound channel.

best
Mas

BailRecoveryAgent
02-23-2011, 09:08
Thanks Mas, Which 135 grain jhp's would you favor? By full velocity, are you referring to the .40's labeled as +p? The gun store I frequent has a gentleman there that said that the .40 round in standard pressure is already at the top of the "safe" pressure ceiling, and that he didn't recommend shooting anything labeled +p out of a .40. He doesn't seem like one of the gun store commados full of bad info that you hear so much about, just wanted to get your thoughts on it.

Thanks again Mas

Mas Ayoob
02-24-2011, 00:05
Last I knew, SAAMI didn't have a spec for "+P" in .40 S&W. For a 135 grain load in that caliber, I'd be looking for something from Cor-Bon or Double-Tap in the 1300 foot second range. Expect about 10" penetration with a very wide wound channel. If more depth or a larger manufacturer is desired, I'd go with 155 grain/1200 fps or 165 grain/1140 fps.
best,
Mas

BailRecoveryAgent
02-24-2011, 08:37
Thanks Mas. I've been looking at Double Taps offerings, and will definitely check out Cor-bons selection. They're quite pricey, but carry ammo isn't the item I want to be skimping out on.

Thanks again.