What would you do? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

jdl2
02-22-2011, 22:45
I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I hve just purchased two new Glocks, a 19 and a 23, both with night sights. Neither has been shot yet but it is my hope to make them my every day carry guns. These are my first Glocks and I'm looking for suggestions that you would make to these pistols to make the as reliable, accurate and shootable as they can possibly be.

Would also appreciate your recommendation on who you would have do any of the customizing work.

Thanks for your time and interest in helping.

Jim L.

Dalton Wayne
02-22-2011, 22:46
Take em out and shoot the fire out of them, you will be surprised at how well they shoot out of box

jdl2
02-22-2011, 22:50
DW,
Hi and thanks for the advice. Are they that good?
Jim

Titegroups
02-22-2011, 22:51
Not much need for improvement, they do what they were designed to do very well. If you want a absolute tack driver then look elsewhere. As far as a defensive pistol they are hard to beat.

jdl2
02-22-2011, 22:54
I'm liking my decision to buy these guns already.
Jim

Panzergrenadier1979
02-22-2011, 22:55
Keep the 19 mags separate from the 23 mags when shooting in low-light conditions. A 9mm Glock will not chamber or fire a .40 round. However a .40 Glock will chamber and fire a 9mm round.

Do not ask how I know this to be 100% true. Someone, somewhere, once told me, I think. :whistling:

jdl2
02-22-2011, 22:57
Sounds like good advice from a man with experience!
Thank you.
Jim

Glockrunner
02-23-2011, 17:20
My suggestion to you, "Shoot the heck (1000 at least) out of them both." Find out which one you shoot the best and make that your carry gun.

Try different grain bullets too, that will make a difference.

cciman
02-23-2011, 18:12
Don't jump on the Lego bandwagon until you've learned the shooting.

You can improve your shooting fundamentals that span across all guns.

Invest in training courses rather than "customization"-- it will take you farther than changing pieces to compensate for bad habits or personal inadequacies.

Dry fire those babies, until you can feel them with your eyes closed.

Glockrunner
02-23-2011, 18:21
Don't jump on the Lego bandwagon until you've learned the shooting.

You can improve your shooting fundamentals that span across all guns.

Invest in training courses rather than "customization"-- it will take you farther than changing pieces to compensate for bad habits or personal inadequacies.

Dry fire those babies, until you can feel them with your eyes closed.

And don't forget to get ya some snapcaps...

bobelk99
02-23-2011, 22:33
You did not say if you were a vet, or new to handguns in general.

If you are switching to Glock from another type weapon, be aware that you will have an adjustment period because Glocks are different. Not better or worse necessarily, but different.

I own a 19 and a 23, and have shot them some. I also own a 1911 or two, and shoot them. Key word is shoot, live or dry fire, as much as your time and budge permit. It will take a few hundred squeezes of the trigger thing before you will know which one is your choice for daily company.

I have a finely tuned and carefully fitted 1911 that shoots far better than I can ever do, and a beat up 19. If my life depended on a weapon, I would choose the 19. Glocks work.

69 Mach One
02-24-2011, 09:31
Great gun choices but with the 23 you could have just bought a conversion barrel & mags & had basically the 19 & $350 cash in your pocket. Plus you can get a sig 357 barrell for it now. Basically all you could add would be 3.5 lb ghost trigger, extended slide release, extended mag release, Laser (internal or external), Light or laser lite combo. Like everyone else says, shoot the H**L out of them & enjoy.

mes228
02-24-2011, 09:32
A "modified" Glock in almost all cases, is a LESSER Glock. They are good to go from the factory in every respect. The only change I've made on any Glock is a Ghost Trigger to reduce the pull. The factory trigger is an excellent combat trigger but not a "great" range trigger. This applies to Models 17,19,22,23 as thats all I've owned.

cciman
02-24-2011, 17:23
Unless your guns are gen4, you do not need snap caps-- they don't last (the rims will be toasted in 50 cycles) and they slow your training down.

Gen4 guns will need snap caps (per the Factory manual).