VMware questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : VMware questions

Nickotym
02-23-2011, 07:58
I am looking to use VMware converter to make a virtual machine of my windows install so I can use it within linux without restarting.

Does anyone know how much space the virtual machine image will take up on a disk? I looked on the vmware converter faqs but couldn't find any info. I want to buy a usb stick to hold the image. I realize that it will depend on size of the drive in use, but how much will it compress the drive for the vm image?

Thanks to anyone who has info.

IndyGunFreak
02-23-2011, 08:35
I'm not that familiar w/ Vmware, but w/ Virtual Box, you basically create a "virtual drive"... so however big the virtual drive is, thats how much space it will take.

stooxie
02-23-2011, 09:17
There are sort of two answers. The first is how much space the source volume needs and the second is how much you want the target volume to have.

The physical size of the virtual disk should be a little bit more than was used in the physical source. So if you are P2V'ing a disk that had 5GB used out of 50GB your virtual disk should be about 5-6GB.

Both VMWare and Virtual disk give you the option of thin or sparse provisioning or allocating all the physical space up front. Most people do the former.

-Stooxie

McJohnny
02-23-2011, 09:21
When you do a convert, the converter wants to see enough free space on your system drive (where system temp space lives) to facilitate the size of the drive(s) on the system being virtualized.

In other words, if the system you are creating the vm image from has a 50 gig drive, you will need 50gig of available temp space.

Once the conversion is completed, the virutal disk image will be as large as the data on the system being converted, perhaps a bit less due to compression.

At least that's how it worked when the last time I did a similar conversion - about a year ago.

dt3ft
02-23-2011, 13:08
Afaik you can decide that when creating the virtual disk. You can define and allocate the disk space or you can define a maximum size and it will grow depending on how much data you store in it.

Linux3
02-23-2011, 20:42
I have a Windows XP SP3 virtual drive and it's 8gigs. Why, because when I created the client that's the size I allocated.
It has Office, Lotus Notes and a bunch of other stuff installed and 8 gigs is plenty of room.

Basically it's a file right?
So after I created it I made a tar file of it.
cd /VM
tar cvf /<where I have the tar file>/winxp.tar /winxp
After creating the virtual system you only need the player installed.
The reason I made a tar file is because when the virtual XP gets full of cooties and such I just do:
cd /VM
sudo rm -rf /VM/winxp
sudo tar xvf /<where I have the tar file/winxp.tar

And tada! I have a brand new Win XP SP 3.