lasermax or crimson trace [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : lasermax or crimson trace

bigtim6656
02-23-2011, 16:22
I am thinking of adding a laser site to my carry glock 21. SOme folks on another forum who refered me here said the lasermax sucks. They also said the recoil and shock of the firing wears them down and they are known for failures. Of course not something you want to fail

So lasermax or crimson trace grips

GRT45
02-23-2011, 16:33
Hello bigtim6656, welcome to Glock Talk. :welcome:

While you're waiting for comments to collect in your thread, you can read some interesting feedback on the LaserMax guide rod laser, both for and against, in the following recent thread at Glock Talk:

Guiderod laser for G36 not too accurate? (http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1313176)

drew4691
02-23-2011, 16:40
I'd go Lasermax for glock. Just my opinion

Aaron1100us
02-23-2011, 19:24
I have the lasermax saber. I've heard your finger can block the laser beam of the CT, not so with the saber. And you don't have to take the lasermax off to change the batteries like you do on the CT.

vmann
02-23-2011, 19:28
i would probably go with the crimson trace due to the fact that it doesnt alter the firing system....where as the lasermax changes the recoil assembly, ok for the range, but in my mind, not good for the carry weapon...

Glock4President
02-23-2011, 19:30
The laser max is cool bye kinda bulky. You need to find a holster for it. The crimson trace I think will fit in the regular holster for the gun. It doesn't ads much bulk at all. If you just leave the gun on the night stand, then go with the cheapest one.

NAS T MAG
02-23-2011, 19:44
The laser max is cool bye kinda bulky. You need to find a holster for it. The crimson trace I think will fit in the regular holster for the gun. It doesn't ads much bulk at all. If you just leave the gun on the night stand, then go with the cheapest one.

Here is the best example of internet misinformation I've seen. This person is not aware of the fact that most LaserMax products that people buy for their Glocks are internal. You can use any regular holster.

I have a laser on every carry gun I own. If an internal laser is available, I buy the Lasermax, but on 5 of my revolvers I have a Crimson Trace. I have the external LaserMax on several pistols along with a combo Glock laser/light on my G21.

I have had zero problems with any of them.

GRT45
02-23-2011, 20:08
I have the lasermax saber. I've heard your finger can block the laser beam of the CT, not so with the saber. And you don't have to take the lasermax off to change the batteries like you do on the CT.

The LaserMax Sabre Series (http://lasermax.com/cat_info.php?id=111) of frame mount lasers looks like a cool product, but it's not available for the G20 or G21 (OP's pistol). It's not an option for my G30SF either, unfortunately.
LMS-SA-GF For Full Size GLOCK Models 17,17L,18,22,24,31,34,35,37 (excludes 20 or 21)
LMS-SA-GC For Compact GLOCK Models 19,23,32,38
They do offer this glimmer of hope, however

Don't see your model listed? Call us at 800-527-3703 for inquiries

Zermatt
02-23-2011, 20:11
Lasermax internal all the way. That way you don't have to reinvest in new holsters, and you don't have any ugly appendages hanging off your weapon.

I've had one in my G23C for around 10 years and a couple thousand rounds, no accuracy problems.

Bear Bones
02-23-2011, 21:18
I have a gen3 19 that i bought a crimson trace for. i used it 1 time and took it off due to the fact i didnt like the feel of it. I have small hands so thats my only prroblem with it.

TSAX
02-23-2011, 21:30
CTC makes good lasers but there are several options. CTC has made at least 3 versions of the rear grip activated. The original does add a bit of thickness and when you conceal carry it can print like it did for me. The second one was a scaled down less profile version of the first. The 3rd and more recent is a front activation that adds a little to the back only at the top and bottom and some bulk to the front but still can print. They have made as a 4th option a laserguard with mounts underneath the rail and connects to the trigger guard with activation button against the first/top finger area of the handle of the Glock. Crossbreed does make holsters that can fit the gun and laserguard. Check their site and you will see all these options.

Lasermax Makes a guide rod laser that is great with a pulsating red dot but is more expensive. They also make a rear activated called Sabre series. Then they have the Uni-Max that attaches to the rail.

Laserlyte makes a laser that replaces the rear site and the laser and activation switch is attached to that site. They also make a rail mounted laser.

In length it does but not in thickness. The battery is in the back of the Sabre and it has a longer beaver tail type look to it. The CTC models have a thicker/wider in the grip and where there laser sits than the Sabre. Also if you use a rubber slip on grip you can slip it over the Sabre easier than the CTC version except the CTC Laserguard. The Sabre is about $160 and the CTC models run about $220 the LaserMax guide rod runs anywhere from $270 to $330

Lastly you can look at the SUrefire X400 and Streamlight TLR-2s and the Viridian V5L as laser/light combos. There are companies like Blackhawk and Phantom that have holsters for these.

http://www.lasermax.com/cat_info.php?id=111

http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Pro...6/Default.aspx (http://www.crimsontrace.com/Home/Products/GLOCK/tabid/196/Default.aspx)

denn1911
02-23-2011, 22:07
Although the LaserMax is a nice set up, my vote is for the Crimson Trace. The CT has easy on/off activation and is a quality unit. Great product with exceptional customer service. You won't be sorry.

Buskerman
02-24-2011, 04:59
Just put a LG 417 on my Gen 3 - G34 - bought the gun Like new condition
& the seller said it shot to the left. The LG-417 for me enhanced the grip feel & cured the shoot to the left problem with the gun . I could reset my rear sight to dead center.

Have CT grips on 9 other guns - customer service is great .

FYI

dancingwolf
02-24-2011, 07:46
Lasermax for GLOCKS.

jhon
02-24-2011, 07:48
Well I can't speak for the laser max, but I can speak for both the laser grip and trigger grip for crimson laser.

I was very uneasy about getting one or both, but the CT have been a wonder for me. Even the video that comes with their catalog is got some good info and inspiration.

The main thing is don't get dependent on them, but use them like another tool in your arsenal. Also use them in your training / dry firing. I think you will like them. The grips would be my first bet, providing they have them for your gun, :)

vmann
02-24-2011, 07:56
i cant believe how much support there is for a unit that could possibley change the reliablility of a personal defense weapon....

Bill Lumberg
02-24-2011, 07:58
Mmmmmaybe because we tested them extensively and found no issues whatsoever? Wait, that's just me.

aaronmj
02-24-2011, 08:08
I'd go Lasermax for glock. Just my opinion

+1

Great laser, no problems. :wavey:

old wanderer
02-24-2011, 10:18
I have 3 Crimson Trace grips on 3 Kimbers, I also have a LaserMax in my G20c.

For the Glock, I would not change to a CT...The laserMax is perfect for the Glock.

Tactically, I wish I could activate it like I do my Kimber's but when I really need it the slide release switch will be fine, I sure.

After all we all "Bet our life" on these things.

sparemag
02-24-2011, 10:32
i have tried the ct on a kimber .it came with it .and my hand kept getting in the way.my bro has a guiderod lasermax and it was pretty sweet you would not even know it was on it.they are pricey .the front rail mount laser would be the runner up an they make a minnie.me personally wont have one.i train with iron sights they dont run out of batteries and i dont ever want to count on a laser.they teach you to count on them.that is my opinion not that it matters.good luck have fun be safe

Glock 17L
02-24-2011, 11:30
LaserMax Internal Glock Laser System (http://www.lasermax.com/category.php?id=1)
I like the LaserMax internal guide rod laser..
This will fit 1st 2nd & 3rd gen Glocks..
They don't list them for the 4th Generation YET..

Only thing about the LaserMax I Don't like is the price!!
I mean a laser pointer costs $3, Same with the laser grips too..

retredleg
02-24-2011, 13:51
I'm grateful for this thread. I just purchased my second Glock; a new G23 (3rd. gen) that I carry daily and I really want a laser for it. My other Glock is a G17 (1st gen) that I wasn't carrying. Instead, I carried my 1911 which I have a CT on and love it. However, I am very unsure which laser to put on my G23, but am leaning towards the CT merely due to the activation.

John Biltz
02-24-2011, 14:09
I don't want a laser that I have to think to turn on for the same reason I don't want a safety. The CTs come on when you grip the gun. The lasermax requires activation. No brainer for me.

carloglock19
02-24-2011, 14:52
LaserMax Internal Glock Laser System (http://www.lasermax.com/category.php?id=1)
I like the LaserMax internal guide rod laser..
This will fit 1st 2nd & 3rd gen Glocks..
They don't list them for the 4th Generation YET..

Only thing about the LaserMax I Don't like is the price!!
I mean a laser pointer costs $3, Same with the laser grips too..

Yeah I noticed the price as well. I wonder how hard it would be to install it?

Glock 17L
02-24-2011, 15:17
You have to replace the slide lock which is easy with the 3/32" punch or Glock tool..
Then you put the batteries in the end cap of the laser & install it like any other guide rod assembly & that's it..
The center spot is off & pressing in on the slide lock turns it on from either side..
I just can't spend $300+ on one currently..
A buddy of mine bought a G27 with a LaserMax for $400 OTD & that was a steal..

TSAX
02-24-2011, 15:31
I don't want a laser that I have to think to turn on for the same reason I don't want a safety. The CTs come on when you grip the gun. The lasermax requires activation. No brainer for me.

LaserMax Sabre has the a grip activation like the CTC. With the internal guide rod it is more preference, some don't like the bulkiness of the grip lasers. 1911 laser grips are pretty close in size to the standard grip panels. For Glock the add more thickness except for the Laserguard version. The LaserMax fits for some preferences just as all the different choices of holsters, night sights, barrels, triggers, etc.

I have had the luxury of testing all of the above in my previous post and I can see why people like and dislike them. The LaserMax guide rod activation can be as easy as bringing you second hand in for the grip and when you go thumbs parallel you can activate it that way. When you accidentally drop the gun it is more durable because its in the frame vs the external one that can (not saying it will everytime or that its not durable) be damaged. For CCW the Lasermax guide rod doesn't print or stick out like some complaints I've heard about the grip lasers both the CTC and LaserMax Sabre. For people with smaller hands the LaserMax guide rod and CTC Laserguard give a great option. Although the LaserGuard has a limited amount of holsters and if your want to attached a tac light it won't work.

There are pros and cons to both but just because one choses one they are not stupid for not following the "no brainer" some may say that a "no brainer" is if I can't even get a good grip because the bulk added or how about when my keeping my finger against the side of the gun which blocks the laser, some like this option and some don't. To his is his own! By the way CTC has an activation, when I was in the military we had CTC on the Berettas that had the switch on the bottom and I remember people bi-ched about having to remember to switch it on and off after each shift during turn in that needs to be "activated" on them before we can grip the gun thereby activating the laser. 1911 CTC grip panels have this as well. As do the Lasermax Sabre you have to turn it on just the same then grip it and then it "activates" I am not saying one is much greater and I don't work for either company. I am happy that they are both in the market and give us options.

TSAX
02-24-2011, 15:51
LaserMax Sabre has the a grip activation like the CTC. With the internal guide rod it is more preference, some don't like the bulkiness of the grip lasers. 1911 laser grips are pretty close in size to the standard grip panels. For Glock the add more thickness except for the Laserguard version. The LaserMax fits for some preferences just as all the different choices of holsters, night sights, barrels, triggers, etc.

I have had the luxury of testing all of the above in my previous post and I can see why people like and dislike them. The LaserMax guide rod activation can be as easy as bringing you second hand in for the grip and when you go thumbs parallel you can activate it that way. When you accidentally drop the gun it is more durable because its in the frame vs the external one that can (not saying it will everytime or that its not durable) be damaged. For CCW the Lasermax guide rod doesn't print or stick out like some complaints I've heard about the grip lasers both the CTC and LaserMax Sabre. For people with smaller hands the LaserMax guide rod and CTC Laserguard give a great option. Although the LaserGuard has a limited amount of holsters and if your want to attached a tac light it won't work.

There are pros and cons to both but just because one choses one they are not stupid for not following the "no brainer" some may say that a "no brainer" is if I can't even get a good grip because the bulk added or how about when my keeping my finger against the side of the gun which blocks the laser, some like this option and some don't. To his is his own! By the way CTC has an activation, when I was in the military we had CTC on the Berettas that had the switch on the bottom and I remember people bi-ched about having to remember to switch it on and off after each shift during turn in that needs to be "activated" on them before we can grip the gun thereby activating the laser. 1911 CTC grip panels have this as well. As do the Lasermax Sabre you have to turn it on just the same then grip it and then it "activates" I am not saying one is much greater and I don't work for either company. I am happy that they are both in the market and give us options.

:pms:

TSAX
02-24-2011, 15:52
:pms:

Are you quoting yourself again :rofl:

HK45Mark23
02-24-2011, 15:57
Internal LaserMax all the way. Nothing else measures up.

G21ACPBeliever
02-24-2011, 16:27
I have a Lasermax internal for my 21sf for 3 years, in and out of really. The unit would always be inconsistent with a round chambered in the factory barrel, flicker on and off. It wasn't the batteries, but when I was at the range everything was great in terms of accuracy but after the third round it would turn off.

Strangely this never happened with my lone wolf ported barrel, with that it was 100% FLAWLESS at all times!

I have owned one for a sig 226 ... 100% reliable, G19... 100% reliable...

I talked to Lasermax, very helpful, they refurbished it free of charge, new switch, new almost everything, GREAT customer service! Took it to the range, Lone wolf, 100%; Factory barrel... eh, iffy at times.

I have examined it time after time, when I still switch it on without or with a round chambered and the factory barrel it's inconsistent. The laser just seems to flicker on and off (NOT THE PULSATING ITS SUPPOSED TO DO!) on, then off, then on after tapping the slide... I can't dog Lasermax because I've never had a problem until now and I've had 2 other flawless internal lasers from them. . .

Good Luck! I just don't know what the problem with mine is or was. Really, maybe it's just poor contact with my factory barrel, who knows! Maybe it's the 21sf frame??? I am totally clueless!

RyanBDawg
02-24-2011, 17:45
I have a crimson trace lasergrip for my Glock 26, I really like it. You can adjust the laser to your liking so you can zero it in to the exact distance and accuracy to your liking..

Go with the crimson trace.

glock2740
02-24-2011, 17:49
Crimson Trace hands down.

TSAX
02-24-2011, 18:09
Crimson Trace hands down.

But you can't give it a thumbs up if your hands are down. :rofl:

texas 48
02-24-2011, 21:57
+1

Great laser, no problems. :wavey:

owned both on G29's CT was great at first after 500 rounds and multiple cleanings the rear pin that hold the laser on started to wear the opening and then it would not hold zero. changes in grip pressure would put it out of zero. This happened to both G29's I owned. put a lasermax in and no issues after 1000 rounds lasermax does have to be returned to factory after 5000 rounds due to springs wear but LM replace for free. I switch to stock spring for range work to keep round count down. The LM is more expensive but does not change the profile of the gun and is lass apt to go out of zero . I have them in both G20sf and G29sf and are dead accurate almost as good sa bore sighting the weapon. Can adjust your iron sights to POA the LM. As an aside here In Texas u can not use the laser to qualify for CHL.

HK45Mark23
02-24-2011, 22:16
LM internal guide rod laser is the best in the business bar none.

Bill Lumberg
02-25-2011, 09:07
This is an accurate statement. But for guns that the internal lasermax isn't available for, Crimson Trace is great. LM internal guide rod laser is the best in the business bar none.

crazyfarmer
02-25-2011, 14:35
had the grip laser from CT on my glock 26 and it was nice but to bulky for me. It was accurate though!

I just got the laser max internal one today and just installed it 20mins ago. I have shot with it yet, but I love it so far. Nothing bulky in the way. Comes off and on easy! Ill post more feedback soon after a few rounds but in the 50mph winds today grouping wont be very good LOL.

hands down lasermax internal so far though!

TSAX
02-25-2011, 17:31
Come to think of it if you put the LaserMax guide rod in you gun then the CTC Laserguard and one of the CTC grip activation versions then you can have 3 lasers on one gun the best of all worlds just in case one fails :tongueout:

TSAX
02-25-2011, 17:34
Come to think of it if you put the LaserMax guide rod in you gun then the CTC Laserguard and one of the CTC grip activation versions then you can have 3 lasers on one gun the best of all worlds just in case one fails :tongueout:

You can also add the LaserLyte one that replaces the rear sight and now thats 4 in 1. It can solve all your laser fantasies :supergrin:.

HK45Mark23
02-25-2011, 18:21
This is an accurate statement. But for guns that the internal lasermax isn't available for, Crimson Trace is great.

Agreed, I want the CT for my girlfriends Kel-Tec P3AT.

crazyfarmer
02-25-2011, 20:12
I tried a few shots with mine. The laser works fine but its way off on mine. Its off to the right on mine with puts my shots way left at 7 yards. Its installed perfectly so I am at loss on this one. With the iron sights, its off to the right from them and its nothing I can do to move it over. Any ideas anyone? I may have to take mine back out since its worthless if I cant hit the dot at 7 yards.

HK45Mark23
02-25-2011, 20:28
If you are refering to LM, call the factory. You can send your gun and laser in to them to be properly aligned. Also the can perform trouble shooting over the phone to make sure it is necessairy to send it it. It could be the gun's fault, and it could be the LM module. Either way call LM and give them the chance to help solve the problem. I would expect to pay a small fee to have it custom aligned. Good luck and let us know what LM says.

Buskerman
02-26-2011, 12:42

Exactly - we do a weekly action pistol every gun must have a laser.
We do a round with laser on & laser off
Laser can't be activated before you draw.
It is amazing how in a simple timed event people forget to take off the safety and/or fumble with turning on non self activating lasers .

FYI

crazyfarmer
02-26-2011, 13:12
i got mine working flawless now! just user error