Stubby Shotgun Stock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stubby Shotgun Stock?

nastytrigger
02-24-2011, 10:02
I have a stock 20" Mossberg 590 bead (I took heat shield off and dabbled with an Aimpoint Micro). I feel the standard stock is too long. I think it's called length of pull. Is there such thing as a stubby shotgun stock. Are the adjustable shotgun stocks my best option? Looking for something in the $80 range.

I've seen pics of the Knoxx, Mesa, etc and it looks fairly long still. My other concern is the pistol grip, I'm a lefty, so I need something I can still work the slide release, but the safety isn't a concern (I'll work it out up top).

I also looked at folding stocks, but they don't seem to be lefty friendly either, and they seem kinda cheap looking.

Victoriagotagun
02-24-2011, 10:40
Look into the Hogue stocks with 12" LOP.

Deployment Solu
02-24-2011, 11:36
Choate Machine & Tool makes a Youth/Body armor stock (pistol grip and non pistol grip) with an 11 1/2" LOP.

They can be seen at :

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=7&Product_CatalogID=2745&ProductNumber=02-01-08&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=236&NewProduct=0

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalog_page_detail.cfm?recordno=6&Product_CatalogID=2749&ProductNumber=02-01-10&ProductCode=2&ProductSubCodeID=236&NewProduct=0

MaximaDrvr
02-24-2011, 12:28
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1310513

nastytrigger
02-24-2011, 19:56
Two more questions:

1. What is the shortest/longest LOP of the Knoxx stock? Google isn't helping me besides there's a 4" LOP range.

B. What is the standard Mossberg stock LOP? 14"?

The Hogue 12" looks good, but I'm concerned about reading that the shooters thumb is quite close to the nose. I'm a nose-to-the-charging-handle shooter, so I'm leaning toward a pistol grip. Thank you for the Choate recommendation.

Victoriagotagun
02-24-2011, 20:12
Two more questions:

1. What is the shortest/longest LOP of the Knoxx stock? Google isn't helping me besides there's a 4" LOP range.

The Hogue 12" looks good, but I'm concerned about reading that the shooters thumb is quite close to the nose. I'm a nose-to-the-charging-handle shooter, so I'm leaning toward a pistol grip. Thank you for the Choate recommendation.

I'm not sure on the Knoxx but the standard Mossberg stock has a 14" LOP. On the Hogue, the thumb close to the nose is easily fixed by not wrapping your thumb around the grip but to rest it along side of it.

PlasticGuy
02-24-2011, 20:58
Two more questions:

Mossberg stocks are a bit over 14". I went with the Hogue 12" on mine, and love it. No problems at all. I don't like a pistol grip on a Mossberg stock. It interferes with the bolt release, and makes it much harder and slower to use.

nastytrigger
02-24-2011, 23:23
Thanks for all the responses. After much consideration and realizing my actual needs, I am going to get the Hogue 12" LOP AND Hogue Tamer Pistol Grip.

I realized my actual needs. I want a shorter stock. Easy, Hogue is 2" shorter. This is when the gun will be used as a primary defensive weapon. This will allow me to shoot anything: birdshot, 00, slugs, etc., accurately.

The Hogue Tamer Pistol Grip I'm wanting to try as a secondary to a rifle, or pistol even. Something I could carry on the trail in a backpack or attached to the pack. Tuck-away-able (not a word...). Also, I see it as a good home CQB defense. This would be loaded with birdshot for home defense (penetration concern) or 00 and slugs for field, secondary, close protection.

http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/7555/002xn.jpg

Mr. Blandings
02-25-2011, 19:08
thurn55,

What a great photo to show the 12" Hogue vs standard factory stocks.

Anybody have one showing Mossberg Youth Stock vs standard Mossberg factory stock?

Feanor
02-26-2011, 15:42
I have a stock 20" Mossberg 590 bead (I took heat shield off and dabbled with an Aimpoint Micro). I feel the standard stock is too long. I think it's called length of pull. Is there such thing as a stubby shotgun stock. Are the adjustable shotgun stocks my best option? Looking for something in the $80 range.

I've seen pics of the Knoxx, Mesa, etc and it looks fairly long still. My other concern is the pistol grip, I'm a lefty, so I need something I can still work the slide release, but the safety isn't a concern (I'll work it out up top).

I also looked at folding stocks, but they don't seem to be lefty friendly either, and they seem kinda cheap looking.

The Knoxx stock offers adjustment of LOP down to about 11.5". However, it also offers almost nothing in the way of drop, this introduces some flaws into its operation.

One of those flaws is the flare at the forward portion of the 4-pos M4 type stock, this flare juts out enough to be quite problematic for a small statured shooter's, virtually preventing them from using fixed iron, or ghost ring sights at the farthest forward position. This is because you must push your face away from the stock or get wacked by that flare under recoil.

This is because of its lack of drop, the shooter feels compelled to compensate by "mashing" their face into the telescopic stock in search of both a decent cheek weld, and a proper view of its sights! This becomes a problem as you must stay back of that flare point(at least 1" back)or again, you will get hit by it under recoil!

Thus(and its boldly illustrated in the owners manual)the shooter's most likely to want, or need that shortest LOP adjustment, will be required to sit back at least 1" from that flare, virtually eliminating the reason for installing the stock in the first place for most of those shooter's, obtaining a good LOP.

A better alternative, is the Mesa tactical unit, I don't recall the name of it, however it is a much more refined alternative to the Knoxx dual recol spring stock, more to the point, it is compatible with any existing m4 type stock, which of course still lack that drop, however they do not have that flare point to bash you under recoil with.

You just insert the Mesa unit into the stock tube, replace the telescoping butt stock and away you go. This system is not perfect either, you still have virtually no drop, thus you are once again going to lack proper cheek weld.

Best solution? Hogue makes a 12" LOP rubber overmolded stock, it is very small, and I have no doubt that it will fit all but the smallest of shooters to the shotgun. If you must have a telescopic stock, I'd go with the Mesa tactical offering, I wouldn't even consider the Knoxx spec ops stock.

Jack Black
03-08-2011, 19:43
I just installed a Hogue 12" LOP stock on my 18.5" Mossy 590A1. Wow this thing is short. It's actually just under 11.5" LOP by my measurements. It definitely makes the gun much, much easier to handle. But I might want to lengthen it just a touch. The recoil pad seems softer than the standard Mossy one too. Hopefully it will absorb recoil better.

Minnow
03-08-2011, 21:47
12" is gonna make for a very short stock.

Jack Black
03-08-2011, 21:59
Most say not to wrap the thumb around the grip with a short LOP stock, but rather to let it ride high. I tried that technique with my old stock and it felt really awkward. But with the short one that's where my thumb goes naturally. My initial reaction is this stock is too short, but after playing with it I really, really like it. I might install a sling attachment between the stock and receiver, so that would make it a little bit longer.

Minnow
03-09-2011, 00:41
I decided to give the Hogue 12" a try myself. I ordered from Midway USA. If anybody is interested use code 5031171 and it will instantly knock 10.00 off your order.