Tactical Shotgun Slings Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Shotgun Slings Thread

Big Bird
02-24-2011, 18:37
I was reviewing some old notes and thought we might benefit from a thread on slings for tactical shotguns. If you are against them or for them that's fine. But rather than bring that up--tell us the advantages/disadvantages...

Here's how I come down on the issue. If you put a sling on a tactical shotgun it should be one that is actually used as opposed to the sling that just provides a carry option. People will be happy to point out the main disadvantage to a sling is it will get caught on things. While this is true its mainly for shotguns with loose dangling slings. Its not true for Shotguns used with one and thee point slings.

So my favorite sling is the Spector Gear CQB three point sling with the emergency release buckle for my Benelli M2.

The advantages of a three point (and one point) sling are: Highly unlikely its going to get caught up on anything. Provides for immediate employment of the weapon. Allows the hands to be used with no degradation of deploying the weapon. And probably a big one in my mind is there is absolutely no issue with weapon retention in a close fight with a 1 or 3 pt sling...

A 3 pt sling is VERY versatile allowing several modes of carrying the weapon in front or on the back with a quick transition from any mode of carry.

The slings I prefer the least are the two point slings especially with the shell bandoliers. Try shooting and pumping a shotgun with a heavy sling full of shells rocking back and forth...whew!

Here's a video of how to use a 3 pt sling...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVGbYG2_u4I

CAcop
02-24-2011, 18:39
I like my blue Force Gear 2 point. You are right they must be used or they snag.

byf43
02-25-2011, 06:22
I was watching "The Best Defense" this past Wednesday, and they featured an adjustable 2 point / 1 point sling that really caught my eye.
(Granted, this sling was used on an AR, but, they said that it would work just as well on an HD shotgun!)

I've never considered a sling on my HD 870, but, I suppose that wouldn't be so terrible to have.

And I agree completely about the PITA that a 'bandoleer sling' is. That's a lot of weight swinging around, under the shotgun.

nastytrigger
02-25-2011, 14:41
Here is my favorite sling company on a Remmy 870: Urban ERT 3-Point IMPD Sling (http://www.youtube.com/user/URBANERTTACTICAL#p/u/16/045JInUbY9s)

Bullman
02-25-2011, 22:24
I have a Summit Tactical Sling from Rocky Mountain Tactical that I use as a 2 point quick adjustable, it is good stuff.

I was reading an article today written by JD McGuire, you all may know him as AIPPI here on GT, he made some good sense as far as a strictly home defense gun not needing a sling at all.

David Armstrong
02-26-2011, 12:38
For most folks if you are going to use a sling the basic 2-point sling works just fine. It allows you to secure the gun in a number of ways if you need to release it and if it gets in the way a simple grab with the pinky finger gets it out of the way. KISS should be the default, IMO, and utilized unless there is some good reason to complicate things.

8th SPS USAF
02-26-2011, 15:30
I use Wilderness single point. Works with shotguns and AR's

MacG22
02-26-2011, 22:02
A friend at the range the other week had one of the 2-3 adjustable slings from magpul. I thought it was actually pretty usable. I would want to play with it a bit more, but it seemed like a good product.

WJR
02-27-2011, 20:36
For most folks if you are going to use a sling the basic 2-point sling works just fine. It allows you to secure the gun in a number of ways if you need to release it and if it gets in the way a simple grab with the pinky finger gets it out of the way. KISS should be the default, IMO, and utilized unless there is some good reason to complicate things.

I agree with this. I have a two point sling from Gear Sector on my 590A1 and love it.

WJR

JCROWNII
03-23-2011, 16:06
I am an advocate for 3-point sling's as I use one on my AR. Every individual has there likes and dislikes about slings when they are used in conjunction with a weapon system, but as said by the OP, they must be utilized. A sling that is not being used is a sling that CAN be used against you; an adversary can use the sling to try and yank the shotgun out of your hands, it can be used to strangle you if a struggle where to take place, and it can also snag on door knobs and other objects as well.

Although I am a proponent of the 3-point sling, on a shotgun I recommend the use of a 2-point sling system. I currently have a VTAC 2-point sling that is attached to the shotgun via QD sling swivels. I recommend this setup to any one who uses their shotgun for HD, as the QD sling swivels allow for easy removal of the sling when it is being utilized in a HD role; if the situation where to arise that you need to go outside of your home then the sling can be attached using the QD system for quick attachment.

Moreover, the use of a 3-point sling allows for too much sling material to be in the way because there is a sling strap running across the side of the shotgun where attached there on. I believe this hinders your ability to access your extra shot shells on the side saddle (this only applys to right hand shooters and also if you are using a side saddle on your weapon system); the 3-point sling does not have any more advantages than a 2-point sling when being used on a shotgun and I believe the excess material is not needed to achieve the slings intended use.

TSAX
03-23-2011, 17:50
tagged

Big Bird
03-24-2011, 08:18
I am an advocate for 3-point sling's as I use one on my AR. Every individual has there likes and dislikes about slings when they are used in conjunction with a weapon system, but as said by the OP, they must be utilized. A sling that is not being used is a sling that CAN be used against you; an adversary can use the sling to try and yank the shotgun out of your hands, it can be used to strangle you if a struggle where to take place, and it can also snag on door knobs and other objects as well.

Although I am a proponent of the 3-point sling, on a shotgun I recommend the use of a 2-point sling system. I currently have a VTAC 2-point sling that is attached to the shotgun via QD sling swivels. I recommend this setup to any one who uses their shotgun for HD, as the QD sling swivels allow for easy removal of the sling when it is being utilized in a HD role; if the situation where to arise that you need to go outside of your home then the sling can be attached using the QD system for quick attachment.

Moreover, the use of a 3-point sling allows for too much sling material to be in the way because there is a sling strap running across the side of the shotgun where attached there on. I believe this hinders your ability to access your extra shot shells on the side saddle (this only applys to right hand shooters and also if you are using a side saddle on your weapon system); the 3-point sling does not have any more advantages than a 2-point sling when being used on a shotgun and I believe the excess material is not needed to achieve the slings intended use.

Interesting. I recently put a Specter Gear 3pt sling on my 870 with a side saddle and the sling doesn't interfere with the side saddle in the least. On my Benelli I don't have a side saddle and never had that problem. The Benelli has a Mesa tactical buttstock shell carrier that's mounted on the port side of the gun to the ambi-sling attachment point. The only thing I don't like about the 3pt sling on the 870 with the sidesaddle is the shells hit me right at the bottom of the sternum. So its a little unconfortable--but that would happen regardless of the tactical sling used.

BailRecoveryAgent
03-24-2011, 09:37
Would this Remington sling be a decent choice for my 870? I'm just a gravel pit range commando, so I don't think I need anything to complicated or expensive.
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/remington-slings/1846

David Armstrong
03-24-2011, 12:38
Looks OK to me, but IMO you'll be served just as well by getting a military web sling for less than half the price.

Big Bird
03-24-2011, 13:05
I have found the sporting slings like that Remington to be too short to work on a tactical longarm. About all they are good for is shoulder carry.

bsg1
05-16-2013, 01:52

Doug S
05-16-2013, 17:25
I bought one of the bandolier slings (10rd) before I knew any better. I'll still use it, only I'll keep it empty. Nice sling otherwise. I want a sling in case I have to shoulder the gun for some reason, or leave the house to go out onto the property.

deputy tom
05-16-2013, 17:27
Looks OK to me, but IMO you'll be served just as well by getting a military web sling for less than half the price.

This is what I've been using for decades. tom.:cool:

Aceman
05-16-2013, 20:49
My sling dangles like my balls; low and loose!

I am fine with the standard sling. I habitually arm wrap from rifle shooting while standing. So it doesn't really swing. And in the house, there is nothing to catch on anyway. I drill in my house - never ever been an issue.

Honestly, my HD gun is my SHTF SG as well, so I always keep in mind the potential need to carry for a distance.

sarge1967
05-16-2013, 21:40
I use a Magpul MS3 on my 870. The way I have in configured I can use it single point or two point.

SouthpawG26
05-18-2013, 06:29
I use a Magpul MS3 on my 870. The way I have in configured I can use it single point or two point.

Same here. You do need a swivel right behind the receiver for a single point setup of course.

On a heavy gun such as the 870, I added a Matin Airpad.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/3a0d711a3c6681b8dbbfeb4148a43dd9_zpsc438c3d5.jpg

sarge1967
05-18-2013, 06:32
Same here. You do need a swivel right behind the receiver for a single point setup of course.

On a heavy gun such as the 870, I added a Matin Airpad.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v672/cervelop2k/3a0d711a3c6681b8dbbfeb4148a43dd9_zpsc438c3d5.jpg

I have the Magpul furniture on mine with the single point adapter behind the receiver and Magpul's forward sling adapter.

triggerjerk
05-19-2013, 17:29
+1 to Specter Gear 3pt slings.
Yes, they can get in the way of chest mounted gear but that is an individual setup
choice I guess.

collim1
05-19-2013, 20:26
I have a 1pt on my duty shotgun because a normal two point hangs up on the Surefire foreend.

Only problem is a 18" shotgun is really too long for a 1pt, I banged the muzzle on the asphalt cuffing a robbery suspect last week.

A 2pt that I could have slung over my shoulder across my back would have been fine.

jb1911
05-21-2013, 09:01
I've got a Magpul sling adapter on my 870 and use a Magpul M3 as a single point. The magazine cap has one of those studs sticking out with a hole in it. What do I need to get to attach my sling to is as a two point sling?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8256/8675030891_3980339628_b.jpg

retired guard
05-25-2013, 14:11
I had considered a bandolier sling. I shall profit from your experience. Thanks.

CDR_Glock
05-26-2013, 11:09
I wanted to be as consistent from one long gun to another. My AR-15 carbine has a Blue Force Vickers sling so I acquired one for my Benelli M2, also. It's easy to adjust on the fly.