Free Microsoft Word Substitue Software [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Free Microsoft Word Substitue Software

glock22357
02-25-2011, 11:04
Is there any free software available on the interwebz that can be used to replace Word for working on documents? My computer had a short-term version of Microsoft Word for Students and it's long expired.

The problem this causes is that I can't do my job searches (really the application/resume part) at home, and requires that I got to the library.

I appreciate any help ya'll can provide. I've searched on google and found nothing.

HerrGlock
02-25-2011, 11:06
http://download.openoffice.org/
http://www.abisource.com/download/

I prefer abiword and it opens just about everything I've tried to open, Word formatted files, that is.

MedicOni
02-25-2011, 11:07
Open office. I've used it for years and it's awesome. IT can open damn near every type of document

HotRoderX
02-25-2011, 11:12
I use open office as a substitute for microsoft's over priced office suit....

gemeinschaft
02-25-2011, 11:17
Another vote for Open Office.

frank_drebin
02-25-2011, 11:26
Google Docs is pretty godd for mid-level docs.

http://www.docs.google.com

DustyJacket
02-25-2011, 11:32
Open Offiice (used to be Star Office) is great.

GIockGuy24
02-25-2011, 14:41
OpenOffice and Libre Office are full office suites. For just word processing like MS Word, Abiword is lightweight and fast. Microsoft has free document viewers available to open other types of MS Office documents without requiring a full office suite program.

IndyGunFreak
02-25-2011, 14:48
OpenOffice and Libre Office are full office suites. For just word processing like MS Word, Abiword is lightweight and fast. Microsoft has free document viewers available to open other types of MS Office documents without requiring a full office suite program.

I'm not sure about the Windows version, but on Linux, you can choose to just install "Word" or "Spreadsheet" application, rather than installing the whole suite.

IGF

GIockGuy24
02-25-2011, 14:55
I'm not sure about the Windows version, but on Linux, you can choose to just install "Word" or "Spreadsheet" application, rather than installing the whole suite.

IGF

Abiword is smaller and, lighter and faster.

IndyGunFreak
02-25-2011, 15:25
Abiword is smaller and, lighter and faster.

Yeah, but that really wasn't my point... My point was, is you can just install the Word Processor, if you don't want the whole suite.

I've gotten kinda hooked on "Word" over the years.. :)

IGF

GIockGuy24
02-25-2011, 16:03
Yeah, but that really wasn't my point... My point was, is you can just install the Word Processor, if you don't want the whole suite.

I've gotten kinda hooked on "Word" over the years.. :)

IGF

The Abiword installer is a 7.94 MB download, the OpenOffice installer is a 137 MB download, the Libre Office installer is a 213 MB download. even only choosing the Word processor results in a slower program than Abiword that takes a lot longer just to open after it's installed. The programs "look" and function about about the same.

GIockGuy24
02-26-2011, 08:19
Here are the free Microsoft Office file viewers. These with Abiword come in handy sometimes, ABIword can be used to read and write Word documents and the viewers can be used to view other Microsoft Office file formats.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD010225858.aspx

boomhower
02-26-2011, 09:51
Open Office is a great piece of software and free to boot. Can't go wrong there.

IndyGunFreak
02-26-2011, 09:55
The Abiword installer is a 7.94 MB download, the OpenOffice installer is a 137 MB download, the Libre Office installer is a 213 MB download. even only choosing the Word processor results in a slower program than Abiword that takes a lot longer just to open after it's installed. The programs "look" and function about about the same.

You don't seem to get it... I'm not disputing that Abiword is lighter than Open Office Word Processor. You stated Open Office and Libre Office were full Office Suites(which they are)... and I simply pointed out it's pretty to just install the app you want.

dbarry
02-26-2011, 10:17
Best part of this is, not a substitute and it is free:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dmhifmhibiceeihlpandaabfhlbkogdi

GIockGuy24
02-26-2011, 10:27
You don't seem to get it... I'm not disputing that Abiword is lighter than Open Office Word Processor. You stated Open Office and Libre Office were full Office Suites(which they are)... and I simply pointed out it's pretty to just install the app you want.

I get it and I have used all of them. OpenOffice Writer takes about 10 times as long to open as Abiword. Just to install OpenOffice Writer requires a 137 MB download. The Abiword installer is 7.94 MB.

IndyGunFreak
02-26-2011, 10:49
I get it and I have used all of them. OpenOffice Writer takes about 10 times as long to open as Abiword. Just to install OpenOffice Writer requires a 137 MB download. The Abiword installer is 7.94 MB.

Again though, the OP said nothing about needing a "light" program... While I don't disagree Abiword is lighter, it's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm not really sure why it would matter how large the installer download is. What, 10min to download, vs 2min? You can say, "Well, he may be on dial up".. Yeah, he may be, but he didn't relay that as a concern (just as he didn't say he was worried about how "light" the word processor is)

Again, i see you're point, but I don't think its relevant at all. You keep pouncing on how "light" it is, when that really wasn't the point of the thread (or anything I've said up to this point).

CitizenOfDreams
02-26-2011, 10:57
Depends on what you want to do with it.

I use MS Word 97 (which is not free but can be bought for as little as $15 on eBay). There are freely downloadable updates for it that let you open .docx files created in newer versions of Word.

evilspringer
02-26-2011, 12:01
Can use just use Wordpad? It is already included in windows and it is Word compatible.

GIockGuy24
02-26-2011, 13:05
Again though, the OP said nothing about needing a "light" program... While I don't disagree Abiword is lighter, it's irrelevant to the discussion. I'm not really sure why it would matter how large the installer download is. What, 10min to download, vs 2min? You can say, "Well, he may be on dial up".. Yeah, he may be, but he didn't relay that as a concern (just as he didn't say he was worried about how "light" the word processor is)

Again, i see you're point, but I don't think its relevant at all. You keep pouncing on how "light" it is, when that really wasn't the point of the thread (or anything I've said up to this point).

Abiword does the same thing as OpenOffice Writer. It doesn't make sense to download a whole office suite to install a word processor and a slower one at that.

IndyGunFreak
02-26-2011, 13:31
Abiword does the same thing as OpenOffice Writer. It doesn't make sense to download a whole office suite to install a word processor and a slower one at that.

Again, it doesn't make sense to you... I prefer OO, so it makes perfect sense to me.

glock22357
02-26-2011, 17:57
Thank you to all that replied....and I realize that I did not add a few crucial concerns I have.

I need to be able to modify my resume that I have stored as an attatchment to a yahoomail message, send to perspective employers, and have them be able to open it with MS Word. Will any of the above suggestions allow me to do that?

Again, I really appreciate the help, as I'm a computer user but far from an expert.

frank_drebin
02-26-2011, 18:02
They will all do that if you make sure you save them as a *.doc file when you are done.

Hauptmann6
02-26-2011, 23:21
Thank you to all that replied....and I realize that I did not add a few crucial concerns I have.

I need to be able to modify my resume that I have stored as an attatchment to a yahoomail message, send to perspective employers, and have them be able to open it with MS Word. Will any of the above suggestions allow me to do that?

Again, I really appreciate the help, as I'm a computer user but far from an expert.

Yes. open office will allow you to save things as PDFs. And last I knew VERY few places took word documents since they are a virus risk whereas pdfs arn't.

IndyGunFreak
02-27-2011, 02:26
Yes. open office will allow you to save things as PDFs. And last I knew VERY few places took word documents since they are a virus risk whereas pdfs arn't.

That's what I would do... "Print to PDF".. then mail the PDF to any potential employers. I've done this quite a few times w/o any issues. Virtually every PC on the planet has a PDF reader, and if they don't, Adobe Acrobat Reader is a 5min download.

Furant
03-08-2011, 08:21
...and if they don't, Adobe Acrobat Reader is a 5min download.Unless you're on dial-up :wavey:

IndyGunFreak
03-08-2011, 09:33
Unless you're on dial-up :wavey:

I'm guessing most businesses that are advertising for resumes to be emailed to them, are not on dial up.

Having Adobe Acrobat is a concern for the receiver, not the sender.

Furant
03-08-2011, 15:35
That was a feeble attempt at a joke based upon the earlier posts in this thread (i.e. d/l size of Abiword vs OOo).

IndyGunFreak
03-09-2011, 15:24
That was a feeble attempt at a joke based upon the earlier posts in this thread (i.e. d/l size of Abiword vs OOo).

Gotcha.. :)