Crimson Trace LaserGuard Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crimson Trace LaserGuard Problems

Clay1
02-26-2011, 08:37
I bought a pair of LaserGuards, one for a Kahr, a LG-437 and one for my Glock a LG-436. I also ended up buying two Crossbreed SuperTucks designed to fit the guns with these lasers installed so I have a little invested in this laser system. The 437 has been perfect over several hundred rounds, maybe 400 but Crimson Trace is sending me my third 436.

When I install the unit and it is tightened down the unit stops working. When I take it off of the gun and tighten it down the unit stops working. Somehow the screws are either shorting out the circuit or pushing the battery out of contact somehow. Anyone else have this problem with a LaserGuard on a Glock.

Note, that Crimson Trace is taking very good care of me. They replaced this first one right away and the replacement for the second one is being overnighted. They are not balking about replacing them.

Both units are relatively new production in that the first unit was made in Dec 2010 and the second unit was made in Feb 2011.

Any ideas?

Clay1
02-27-2011, 12:10
Consider this a bump on my own thread. So no one else has had this kind of problem? I must be special to get two in a row. I will see what is different about the one that I get early next week.

Rick

JRS
02-27-2011, 12:18
Trijicon?

1 old 0311
02-27-2011, 12:43
Trijicon?

I was wondering the same thing. Is this a NIGHT site problem, or a LASER problem?:dunno::dunno::dunno:

Clay1
02-27-2011, 12:46
Trijicon?

Brain fart. Buying too many toys for guns these days. I did just install a set of GL011 Novak night sights on this same gun a 4th Gen G19. Those have nothing to do with Crimson Trace obviously. Well on second thought, if the laser takes a crap and I need to go to open sights, I will be able to see the Trijicons. :rofl:

I'll edit the other post for the correct company.

Sorry for the confusion. Finally took out all of the refereces to Trijicon with a little help from my fellow friends on GT.

Clay1
02-28-2011, 13:00
The third Crimson Trace LG 436 arrived about 10 minutes ago, sent by overnight mail. It doesn't work! Strike three.

Does anyone else have a LG 436 that does work?

What the heck is going on with these?

1 old 0311
02-28-2011, 13:56
I have 3 sets of Ct grips, the oldest being 8-9 years old. NEVER HAD ANY problem. You got BOTH batteries in the right way? Is there a on/off switch on the base? Is it turned on? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

Clay1
02-28-2011, 14:21
Not the Laser Grips but the Laser Guards are what I have. Like these. Again, I have two sets and two Crossbreed SuperTucks to go along with them so I have some investment in these units. The one on the Kahr is perfect. The one on the Glock, the LG 436, I'm on my third one.

They don't have two batteries any longer. It's one battery which is the same size as two smaller batteries together. They work out of the box when you put the battery in them, they work fine when you put them on to begin with, but when you tighten up the mounting screws they don't work any longer. I was thinking that I might have overtighten them so this last one I put on there so loose it was silly. I can take them back off of the gun and still get them to work intermittendly. I'm just about ready to get my money back on them and sell the holsters.

Rick

DeltaNu1142
02-28-2011, 14:41
I'm not surprised at the lack of input... no one else seems to comment whenever I mention my LaserGuard, so I think you & I may be the only ones that have them...!

I've had my LG-436 on a G26 and a G27. I use a CBST, too, for that matter... but the LG has performed flawlessly since I bought it (used, but practically NIB). I might have installed & uninstalled it 3-4 times, but I've never experienced any shorting or intermittent problems with the laser whether mounted or unmounted (I've tried both).

To 0311, there is a master on/off where the tip of a RH shooter's index finger would be if fully extended rather than on the trigger... but I can't see that being an issue.

Clay1
02-28-2011, 15:54
I'm not surprised at the lack of input... no one else seems to comment whenever I mention my LaserGuard, so I think you & I may be the only ones that have them...!

I've had my LG-436 on a G26 and a G27. I use a CBST, too, for that matter... but the LG has performed flawlessly since I bought it (used, but practically NIB). I might have installed & uninstalled it 3-4 times, but I've never experienced any shorting or intermittent problems with the laser whether mounted or unmounted (I've tried both).

To 0311, there is a master on/off where the tip of a RH shooter's index finger would be if fully extended rather than on the trigger... but I can't see that being an issue.

I want the world to know that I am an IDIOT I knew that the grips had a master on an off, but never knew that the Laser Guard had an on an off switch and that WAS the problem. I use to work in sales of office equipment way back when. If a client had a problem I would ask as my first question, "Is it plugged in". I had many people get angry that I even asked the question, but guess what? Many times it WASN'T PLUGGED IN. I feel like one of those customers right now, saying that there was a problem when they really wasn't. I'm just totally embarassed. :blondmoment:

Clay1
02-28-2011, 17:40
Look at this picture and notice the round Crimson Trace logos on these two units. One is a LG 436 and the Kahr unit is a LG 437. On the 436 there is a master switch and the logo is it. On the 437 there is NO MASTER SWITCH. No wonder I was so easily confused.

ctcdesigner
02-28-2011, 17:44
Clay1,

Don't feel bad, the customer service person didn't think of that either :)

This is the only laserguard that has a master on/off switch (cleverly hidden under the CTC logo on the right side) so they aren't used to thinking of that possibility being the issue. All is good if the unit is working for you now.

Dan

DeltaNu1142
02-28-2011, 18:25
Ha ha ha ha ha... thanks Clay. I wouldn't feel so bad... but I hope you don't mind I got a chuckle out of thinking about a guy mounting the thing, smiling slightly when the dot showed up with a proper grip, then frowning when his grip loosens. Repeat... repeat... repeat...

Good stuff. I can easily see how you'd get befuddled if there's no master on/off under the logo of the LG-437. Glad it's now... uh... working. :tongueout:

TSAX
02-28-2011, 22:34
Its ok, we all make mistakes. I'm glad you caught it.

Clay1
03-01-2011, 07:42
Clay1,

Don't feel bad, the customer service person didn't think of that either :)

This is the only laserguard that has a master on/off switch (cleverly hidden under the CTC logo on the right side) so they aren't used to thinking of that possibility being the issue. All is good if the unit is working for you now.

Dan

Any ideas on why they choose this one to have this feature? Thanks Dan.

DeltaNU. "I hope you don't mind I got a chuckle out of thinking about a guy mounting the thing, smiling slightly when the dot showed up with a proper grip, then frowning when his grip loosens. Repeat... repeat... repeat..."

Not quite, the dot would come on and off with grip pressure, but then it wouldn't come on or off with grip pressure if you somehow activated the logo. The button doesn't have a "feel" to it. In other words you can't tell if you active the button very easily. One minute the main pressure switch is working and then next it is not.

Rick

DeltaNu1142
03-01-2011, 08:19
Hey Rick, I understand--I have one. There's really no way to know whether it's "ON" unless you push the grip switch and the laser turns on... and vice versa for "OFF".

I don't know why they don't have the same switch on other models of LaserGuard, I guess I assumed they all had it. I like having the ability to turn it off, actually. I turn it off at the range, I actually find it sort of annoying... but like any tool, it has its proper use, I suppose.

MrSmoofy
03-01-2011, 08:51
My Laser Grips for my G27 do not have an on off switch, I wish it did. It's only a pressure switch. So for now I take it on and off when I want to practice without the laser.