14,000 rounds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 14,000 rounds

Jim S.
02-26-2011, 11:00
Going to the range soon.
Another 250 rounds and I will have 14,000 rounds through my G21SF.
I have not had a single malfunction with many different brands and types of ammunition.
I've never had a gun do that before. Not that I've ever kept track of how many rounds I've shot. Only did that with my Glocks.
The first time she has a problem will definately freak me out since she's been so damn dependable.

DJ Niner
02-26-2011, 23:39
Heck of a record! :thumbsup:

Badger1911
02-27-2011, 08:59
Outstanding!:dancing:

Gary1911A1
02-28-2011, 15:48
That is encouraging. I haven't got mine yet. Have you replaced the recoil spring or any other parts?

Pvt.snoballz
02-28-2011, 15:55
That is encouraging. I haven't got mine yet. Have you replaced the recoil spring or any other parts?

of course. the boolets :tongueout:

Jim S.
02-28-2011, 18:05

At approximately 3000 rounds I went with the Wolff non captured stainless rod and Wolff Springs throughout.
Nothing since.

Dave T
03-07-2011, 14:50
I had one of the early Gen 3 21s and after initially putting some rounds through it (a couple hundred) I got a Bar-Sto barrel because I wanted to shoot the same cast bullets I loaded for my 1911s. Well after owning the 21 for about a year I started shooting it in matches and practice almost exclusively. Some where in there I started keeping track of the rounds I had fired, mostly my 900 fps handload with a 200g H&G #68 SWC. When I got to 20,000 a couple years later I gave up counting. Another year or two of shooting and I bought a G21SF (Calif. version). I liked the feel of it enough better that I sold the old 21. I'm pretty confident in saying it shot between 23,000 and 25,000 total rounds. No malfunctions in all that time.

Dave

PS: Oh, the only other mods were a 20# spring, a 3.5#/NY#1 trigger set up and after market sights (XS Big Dot).

DustyDawg48
03-08-2011, 09:53
Not quite that impressive of a round count but I'm moving towards 3,000 rounds with my 21 in the last year and a half. No real issues associate with the gun itself, it's shot everything I've tried to run through it. The only ammo problems have came from my own personal hand loads and there were 2 rounds that wouldn't chamber...I don't think they would have chambered in a .50 GI so I can't feel like the gun let me down.

Mine is completely stock, the only thing I've added to it is ammo.

G21
03-12-2011, 10:37
So, do you reload? Or are you independently wealthy?

Dave T
03-12-2011, 12:12

Not sure who you are asking but if it was me, yes I reload. Had a Star Universal for 20 years and probably all but a few hundred factory rounds of the total through my G21 were my hand loads.

Dave

BadKarma1208
03-16-2011, 00:47
Purchasing my first G21sf this week. I have the G34 and love it. Sold my(I know I know, never sell) G30 a few years ago because it felt like a brick and not a gun on my hip. I'm glad to read your round count.

Question: I dont reload because 9mm is just so damn cheap. If i was to reload just 45, any suggestions on a basic and easy to use set up?

TSAX
03-16-2011, 01:09
Nice job, when you get to 100,000 I will be very impressed

Jim S.
03-16-2011, 02:31

No reloads, but I've given up every other vice in my life and this is my hobby/ relaxing time. I use the excuse that other people spend money on hobbies or other things. I shoot. A lot.
This is my carry gun also so look out bad guys. :supergrin:

Gary1911A1
03-16-2011, 09:43
Purchasing my first G21sf this week. I have the G34 and love it. Sold my(I know I know, never sell) G30 a few years ago because it felt like a brick and not a gun on my hip. I'm glad to read your round count.

Question: I dont reload because 9mm is just so damn cheap. If i was to reload just 45, any suggestions on a basic and easy to use set up?

Given you plan on only reloading for one, I'd recommend The Dillon Square Deal. Great machine and you'll be able to reload enough in under an hour to go shooting.

DustyDawg48
03-16-2011, 14:17

there are a lot of good reloading presses out there like RCBS and Hornady that won't cost you an arm and a leg. You can get into an excellent single-stage press with scale, powder measure, dies and hand primer for around $350 +/- a few dollars and be good to go for a long while. Next step up is a turret press where you manually rotate the dies to complete a round, then insert the next empty and repeat. The progressive presses will do multiple rounds, one at a time, one right after the other but your reliability in those is directly proportional to the amount of money you are willing to spend. Lee progressives I'd say away from, get to Hornady or RCBS you may have to tweak it a bit....Dillon you should be GTG almost right out of the box.

It is very fun and very satisfying to get out and shoot the stuff you made yourself, not for everybody but well worth the effort of looking into it.

44terryberry
03-16-2011, 14:26
The incredible reliability is what sold me on Glocks.By the way, my Kimber goes up for sale tomorrow.

Makoman
03-17-2011, 23:03
That's an awesome record there Jim. I just bought an 21SF and your post makes me feel all the better about my purchase.

Dave T
03-19-2011, 10:52
The incredible reliability is what sold me on Glocks.By the way, my Kimber goes up for sale tomorrow.

In the interest of complete disclosure I have to say I had (still have) a lightly customized 1959 Government Model Colt that also digested over 20,000 rounds. It was the predecessor to the G21 and it's reliability prompted me to keep track of the rounds through the Glock. My wife doesn't shoot as much as I do but she has a Kimber Custom Covert Compact that has never malfunctioned in the 6+ years she has owned it.

Glocks aren't the only reliable handguns. They are however, probably the most reliable right out of the box.

Dave

BadKarma1208
04-17-2011, 00:42
So I have replaced the guide rod with one from Lone Wolf. Relaced the slide leve with and extended lever. Replaced the connector with a #3.5. I can only think to replace the spring also(was on back order at the time I made the purchase). I did these on my G34 and saw some improvement in my accuracy but also it felt better pulling the trigger.

Any further suggestions for my G21?

Jim S.
04-23-2011, 08:19
I recently read a post on this forum that said that people who claim to have shot X amount of rounds through their gun are trying to justify their having a poor quality gun with BS about it being trouble free, and some other critisisms that I really don't remember right now.
I thought that was odd because I simply kept track of the round count in my Glocks because I heard that they were the most dependable hand guns on the market today.
It was easy to do because I always shoot in increments of 50 and simply write a round count on a pad of paper that I keep in my range bag.
When you shoot at least 250, and up to 500 rounds at a time it is not difficult to shoot high round counts or keep track of them.
I never did this with my other guns and I do have high round counts out of them too.
Just don't know how many and don't really care.
Not a big deal but I thought it was odd that someone would think this way about something like this.
For anyone who thinks that way I am not trying to justify anything or make a claim that most of us don't already know...
Glocks are dependable shooters made to keep on shooting.