Standard 9mm loads vs +p, +p+ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Standard 9mm loads vs +p, +p+

steveksux
02-26-2011, 12:40
Hi Mas, thanks, great to have you around.

I have a G19, plus Kel-tec (P11 and PF9) for backup/pocket carry. The Kel-tecs are not recommended for the higher powered loads.

To eliminate the problem of potentially mixing up the various types of 9mm ammo while loading/unloading the weapons, I run standard 9mm in my G19 also. One ammo, no problems keeping track.

What are your thoughts on this? Am I making a reasonable choice here, are normal (HST) loads sufficient self defense rounds? I'll admit I'm more of a shot placement fan than caliber guy.

Not sure if I'm looking for information or affirmation here, I suppose that depends on whether you agree with my choices... :tongueout::supergrin:

Randy

Mas Ayoob
02-26-2011, 16:08
In a 9mm not built to handle +P or +P+, I'd be inclined to fall back on standard pressure loads that have proven themselves in the field: the 115 grain Federal JHP product code 9BP from their Classic line, or the 147 grain subsonic Federal HST or Winchester Ranger-T at standard pressure.

If you use the Federal 115 grain 9BP, you'll easily be able to tell it apart from, say, 127 grain Winchester +P+, even by feel as well as by sight. Since they take separate magazines and you'll be filling the magazines during "administrative handling" in a calm environment, getting one load mixed up with the other is not something I'd consider likely.

Your call, of course.

Best,
Mas