rifled barrel [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : rifled barrel

BOOSTED12A
02-27-2011, 00:00
ok, i have a rifled barrel on my 870 express. what would happen if i fired shot out of it? i figure it may throw a funky pattern but that about it.:dunno:

ADK_40GLKr
02-27-2011, 01:20
I posted afew months ago but couldn't find it. I fired a12 ga 2 3/4" 00 buckshot load through a rifled "deerslayer" barrel at a large target at 25 ft. Got a18-24" doughnut shape with no shot in the center except for a12ga size hole inthe center where the wad penetrated the paper.

BOOSTED12A
02-27-2011, 02:00
that is a funky pattern alright. well, for home defense i guess that wouldnt be a huge problem. thanks.

Foxtrotx1
02-27-2011, 03:48
Box of Truth covered this.

DPris
02-27-2011, 12:16
Not a good idea to use shot of any kind for home defense through a rifled barrel.
Inefficient.
Denis

southernshooter
02-27-2011, 16:43
ok, i have a rifled barrel on my 870 express. what would happen if i fired shot out of it? i figure it may throw a funky pattern but that about it.:dunno:

I have one also with the rifled barrel. Other than point blank range it shoots a terrible/no pattern. Shoots sabots well and actually shoots regular old rifled slugs well also. I have read that rifled slugs will lead up the barrel but haven't noticed that on shooting just a few here and there. For $100 just get a smooth bore barrel to use when you want to shoot shot. I don't have a smoothbore barrel because I have other shotguns but still might get one.

BOOSTED12A
02-27-2011, 16:49
I have one also with the rifled barrel. Other than point blank range it shoots a terrible/no pattern. Shoots sabots well and actually shoots regular old rifled slugs well also. I have read that rifled slugs will lead up the barrel but haven't noticed that on shooting just a few here and there. For $100 just get a smooth bore barrel to use when you want to shoot shot. I don't have a smoothbore barrel because I have other shotguns but still might get one.
actually, i may just pick up anothe pump at the pawn shop i got this one at. they have a good selection of pumps under 200$ that are in good shape. probbaly get one and just cut down the barrel. who knows. i apreciate everyones input.

Two_Clicks
02-27-2011, 16:59
The shot has potential to foul up your rifling in the barrel. If your wanting a HD barrel just get a smooth bore 18.5".....you may find someone willing to trade looking to upgrade a deer slug gun. Or as you said get another pump dedicated to HD....the Sabot slugs and Rifled barrels make for some amazing accurate slug guns if you're into any type of hunting.

ADK_40GLKr
02-28-2011, 21:35
that is a funky pattern alright. well, for home defense i guess that wouldnt be a huge problem. thanks.

Except if the perp were far enough away from you, you might miss a vital area by shooting around it.

DPris
03-01-2011, 00:34
In a defensive shotgun, you do not want a barrel that spreads a pattern, you want one that tightens it up.

Besides wasting part of your payload if you miss with several pellets, you also pose a potential danger to people & property that may be behind or near your target.
Denis

BOOSTED12A
03-01-2011, 11:25
Except if the perp were far enough away from you, you might miss a vital area by shooting around it.
wow, yeah thats useless. ok so another pumper it is.