Your opine on primers, magnum vs standard [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your opine on primers, magnum vs standard

PSG
02-27-2011, 13:00
Background

I cleaned and serviced a pistol for someone and to pay me back they gave me.

1000 magnum small pistol primers.

If I use a medium load for 9MM and or 40 cal, with unique and or bullseye I should be able to use these without any problems ??

Yes ? No ? Divide by zero ?:dunno:

PCJim
02-27-2011, 13:15
People have been known to substitute magnum primers for regular primers. This was being done quite a bit during the components shortage of recent past.

I'd have to recommend that you not start at the mid-level with the magnum primers, but drop back to an initial starting charge and work up, especially if you are going to be using BE.

ron59
02-27-2011, 13:23
I used magnum SPP for my 9mm during the shortage, but I don't load anywhere near max, nor do I use the more "volatile" powders. A chrono really helps here. Doesn't measure pressures, but certainly gives you a ballpark via the velocity.

PSG
02-27-2011, 13:26
I used magnum SPP for my 9mm during the shortage, but I don't load anywhere near max, nor do I use the more "volatile" powders. A chrono really helps here. Doesn't measure pressures, but certainly gives you a ballpark via the velocity.

What powders are you refering too ?

fredj338
02-27-2011, 13:37
Depending on what powder & what cartridge & what load, it may matter or not at all. I have found as long as you are not loading max, then swapping a mag primer for std will cause you no ills. Small, high prssure rounds show greater change than large low pressure rounds. If you are on the top end already, then backing down 0.2-0.3gr is wise.
A recent test using WST in the 45acp showed a very small vel change, less than 25fps, when going to a magnum primer. All things being equal, pressure equals vel & you would expect some vel increase w/ a mag primer. Then again, the 45acp is a low pressure round to start w/ & I was not using a max load.

WiskyT
02-27-2011, 14:24
What Fred Said. Or you could squirrel them away for when you get the 454 Cassull you've been looking for an excuse to get.

fredj338
02-27-2011, 14:28
What Fred Said. Or you could squirrel them away for when you get the 454 Cassull you've been looking for an excuse to get.

Except the 454Cas actually is designed to run on small rifle primers. The ultra high pressures are really more suited to the thicker rifle primer cups.:wavey:

ron59
02-27-2011, 14:32
What powders are you refering too ?

Stuff like BullsEye? What PCJim was referring to when he said "BE".

I'm certainly no expert at this, just know that many newbs are warned against using certain powders because of their volatility, BE being one of them. And that's even with non-magnum primers.

So if the powder is potentially dangerous with regular primers, it might only stand to reason you should be extra cautious using magnum primers.

I would defer to what guys like Fred are saying, they have way more experience than I. But I used both Solo-1000 and WSF in 9mm with magnum primers with no issues, but again I don't load near max.

WiskyT
02-27-2011, 14:40
Except the 454Cas actually is designed to run on small rifle primers. The ultra high pressures are really more suited to the thicker rifle primer cups.:wavey:

That just goes to show you how much I know about the 454.

dbarry
02-27-2011, 15:13
back when you couldn't find primers to save your keister... I could only find magnum small pistol primers. my favorite powder is bullseye. I just started low and worked up. no problem w/ 9mm, 38, 357, 45 gap w/ bullseye and magnum primers.

dudel
02-27-2011, 15:15
If you have to ask, you should be guided by the recommendations in the load manuals. Can it be done? Yes, if you have an idea about what you are doing. If you know how to work up a load. If you know how to read pressure signs. Etc, etc, etc.

Magnum primers don't translate into a better load. There are many cases where a magnum primer doesn't work as well as a standard one. Different powders react differently to magnum vs standard primers. Fast powders in particular. You can't even go by the name of the round. For example, with a 357 Magnum, one might expect to use magnum primers. For a powder such as H110, you would. For a powder like 2400, you wouldn't.

The safest thing, for one starting out, is to stick to the load manuals. You are creating little bombs that you plan to set off in your hand. How far into the unknown do you really want to stray? You are dealing with two rounds that run at fairly high pressures. Plus, BE is one of the fastest (if not the fastest) powder available to reloaders. Two strikes against you. Seat the projectiles a bit too deep (thereby increase the pressure even more), and you've got a recipe for a big problem (particularly with the 40). Have insuficient neck tension, create some setback, and you've got more problems. There's not much good out of what you are asking to do.

Back in the days primers were scarce, people did what they needed to do to keep reloading. Now, with primers relatively easy to get, there's just no need.

dudel
02-27-2011, 15:22
Stuff like BullsEye? What PCJim was referring to when he said "BE".

Yep. BE (Bullseye) is a very fast powder with a fast pressure curve. Add a hot primer and you get higher pressure. Add that to rounds (9mm and 40 per the OP) that already runs at high pressure, and you have the potential for an interesting situation.

ron59
02-27-2011, 15:34
Yep. BE (Bullseye) is a very fast powder with a fast pressure curve. Add a hot primer and you get higher pressure. Add that to rounds (9mm and 40 per the OP) that already runs at high pressure, and you have the potential for an interesting situation.

Yes. What he said. LOL.

I've heard BE is somewhat volatile, and that's the only one I could name when he asked. I have to imagine there are others that are similar in nature? Can you think of other powders that have similar characteristics as BE where one should be extra, extra careful ?

dbarry
02-27-2011, 16:37

absolutely. well said dudel

dudel
02-27-2011, 16:43
Yes. What he said. LOL.

I've heard BE is somewhat volatile, and that's the only one I could name when he asked. I have to imagine there are others that are similar in nature? Can you think of other powders that have similar characteristics as BE where one should be extra, extra careful ?

There are a number of burn rate charts; but they don't all rate the same.

For example, Hodgdon has the following list: http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

BE is about 13th fastest.

This one puts it at 6th
http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html

THis one has it 10th
http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp

Personally, I'd be careful with the top 15. Some are hard to find.

shotgunred
02-27-2011, 20:47
I use them interchangeability with my IDPA loads. Of course your looking at something around 130 power factor.