Differences betweenMossberg combo and Maverick 88 securtity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Differences betweenMossberg combo and Maverick 88 securtity

BailRecoveryAgent
02-28-2011, 08:12
The Mossberg Combo-$280
http://big5sportinggoods.shoplocal.com/big5/default.aspx?action=detail&storeid=2503823&rapid=0&listingid=-2084627570&offerid=

The Maverick 88 Security-$229-250 locally
http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/88security.htm

I don't need the vent rib barrel, I already have a dedicated hunting shotgun given to me by my dad, so can someone please tell me the differences between the two? It will be used as a dedicated HD shotgun and range blaster.

I loathe Big 5, last time we were in there the gun counter ****** insulted my wife, basically calling her dumb even though she was right and he was an idiot, but I would be willing to drive to another Big 5 in another town to get the combo if its somehow worth it for the extra $50 bucks.

I've held and fondled both, and the few differnences like the safety location on the Maverick and the fit and finish being slightly better on the Mossberg combo, don't bother me too much, I would be happy with either.

Anybody own/shot both that can tell me how they like dislike each? Thanks

mixflip
02-28-2011, 10:00
It looks as if the 1st link has a picture of 2 different guns? The combo setup that can go from field gun to an 18" HD length. Then they show a picture of a "security" model that "cannot" change the barrel out because of the for forward lug attachment that does not allow for any other length barrel.

That is the difference between combo & security btw. Combo guns can change the length of the barrel and security models typically are stuck with a 20" barrel and the long mag tube that cant be changed.

I personally think the combo setup is the better deal if you ever plan to hunt or take up skeet etc. etc. Its just more practical. You can always ad a mag extension along with the 18" barrel.

I owned a Mav88 and loved it. It was the security model (20") and it stood home defense duty just fine and it blasted away at the range with no issues ever. My father has the 500 field gun and its a nice gun also. His is over 30 years old so the action is silky smooth from years of shooting.

Victoriagotagun
02-28-2011, 10:16
I don't need the vent rib barrel, I already have a dedicated hunting shotgun given to me by my dad, so can someone please tell me the differences between the two? It will be used as a dedicated HD shotgun and range blaster.

If it were me, I would get the combo and if I didn't need the hunting barrel I would turn around and sell it to even lower the final cost.

I personally think the combo setup is the better deal if you ever plan to hunt or take up skeet etc. etc. Its just more practical. You can always ad a mag extension along with the 18" barrel.

There is too much work to add a mag extention to a 500. You would have to replace the whole mag tube and the barrel to a 20in.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-28-2011, 10:33
If it were me, I would get the combo and if I didn't need the hunting barrel I would turn around and sell it to even lower the final cost.

How much would the barrel be worth? $50?

I like the 8 shot capability of the security model, over the 6 shot of the combo. Since I don't need the 28" barrel and selling it would probably just lower the cost to the price of the Maverick 88, I think the Maverick 88 security 20" will be coming home with me this week sometime.

Its my birthday gift from my wife, so the extra money left over will probably go to a collapsible stock and some other goodies.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-28-2011, 10:39
It looks as if the 1st link has a picture of 2 different guns? The combo setup that can go from field gun to an 18" HD length. Then they show a picture of a "security" model that "cannot" change the barrel out because of the for forward lug attachment that does not allow for any other length barrel.

That is the difference between combo & security btw. Combo guns can change the length of the barrel and security models typically are stuck with a 20" barrel and the long mag tube that cant be changed.

I owned a Mav88 and loved it. It was the security model (20") and it stood home defense duty just fine and it blasted away at the range with no issues ever. My father has the 500 field gun and its a nice gun also. His is over 30 years old so the action is silky smooth from years of shooting.

Yeah, the pic from the big 5 link is showing 2 different guns, and since I already have a dedicated hunting shotgun, a 16 gauge Remington Sportsman semi auto, this next one will just be a HD/ range gun. The combo would be worth it if I needed the extra barrel for hunting or skeet, but my 16 gauge works well for both, and my dad has owned it since the 60's and I like shooting/hunting with it knowing it was carried in the field by him and has taken game long before I was even born.

I'm thinking the Mav88 security 20" is the best option for me, purpose and price wise. Thanks

Victoriagotagun
02-28-2011, 10:40
I like the 8 shot capability of the security model, over the 6 shot of the combo. Since I don't need the 28" barrel and selling it would probably just lower the cost to the price of the Maverick 88, I think the Maverick 88 security 20" will be coming home with me this week sometime.

Its my birthday gift from my wife, so the extra money left over will probably go to a collapsible stock and some other goodies.

Keep in mind that you will have to change out the forearm on the 88 to fit any of the 500 forearms.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-28-2011, 11:26
Keep in mind that you will have to change out the forearm on the 88 to fit any of the 500 forearms.

I'll leave the forearm stock and just change the buttstock. My wife likes the adjustabilty of the collapsible stock, she's petite and thin, but can handle a shotgun as well as some men I've been around, and I'm a big gorilla so the ability to move the stock in and out to fit us both is a big plus.

mixflip
02-28-2011, 12:39
Oh thats right...the 500 cant have a mag extension. At least not easily like other shotguns.

vafish
02-28-2011, 16:42
IIRC the Mavericks are made outside the US, Mexico maybe.

And Maverick lists a 28" vent rib barrel for the 8 shot models, it's part # 90241

BailRecoveryAgent
02-28-2011, 17:00
IIRC the Mavericks are made outside the US, Mexico maybe.

And Maverick lists a 28" vent rib barrel for the 8 shot models, it's part # 90241

The mavericks are assembled in the USA, with a mix of american made and mexican made parts, and the 88 security in the link I posted is offered in either a 18.5" 6 shot or the 20" 8 shot.

TxGun
02-28-2011, 17:55

The mavericks are assembled in the USA, with a mix of american made and mexican made parts, and the 88 security in the link I posted is offered in either a 18.5" 6 shot or the 20" 8 shot.

Mavericks and Mossberg 500s (and all other Mossbergs except Turkish imports) are made in the same plant (Eagle Pass, TX.) with the same parts. Both have some parts that are made in Torreon, Mexico from American steel shipped south, while other parts come in from CT. Aside from producing some parts, the home office in North Haven, CT. is now primarily administrative. If you click on "Customer Service" on the Mossberg website, you will also see that all service is done in Eagle Pass (unless you live in Canada). The Maverick shotguns are a great value, IMO.

BailRecoveryAgent
02-28-2011, 18:36
Mavericks and Mossberg 500s (and all other Mossbergs except Turkish imports) are made in the same plant (Eagle Pass, TX.) with the same parts. Both have some parts that are made in Torreon, Mexico from American steel shipped south, while other parts come in from CT. Aside from producing some parts, the home office in North Haven, CT. is now primarily administrative. If you click on "Customer Service" on the Mossberg website, you will also see that all service is done in Eagle Pass (unless you live in Canada). The Maverick shotguns are a great value, IMO.

Thanks TxGun, slight differences in fit and finish and difference in price seem to be the only thing I could notice between the two, and they were subtle differences. The action on both cycled the same, and both felt very solid. I've decided on the 88 security 20" 8 shot. Only 1 1/2" longer with the extra capacity. Can't wait to get it. :nailbiting:

Happy birthday to me!:birthday::cake: