Remington 870 Van Comp Extension Update [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Van Comp Extension Update

Big Bird
03-01-2011, 18:02
Well, I discovered something today that kind of caught me off guard. As many of you know I posted a while back that my Remington 870 will hold 7 shells in the magazine when using the Vang Comp mag extension. Well, that's still true but with a caveat. Not ALL 2 3/4 ammo will allow 7 rounds in the extension. When I tried some Federal 2 3/4 Tactical loads this weekend I could only get 6 in the tube. But my Winchester Ranger 2 3/4" low recoil loads had no problem with 7 in the magazine. Also, I had no problem fitting 7 rounds on several brands of birdshot in the Vang Comp tube. So here's the deal. There's a BIG variation in the length of standard 2 3/4 shells (BTW they are NOT 2 3/4" loaded....that's supposed to be the un-crimped un-loaded shell length.) But when I got home and set them up side by side on the bench--sure enough the Federal shells are a good 1/8" longer. Stack six of em end to end and that's 3/4"!

So I stand by what i posted before--that my Vang Comp still holds 7 shells...but it depends on the specific shells you are using.

WiskyT
03-01-2011, 18:30
You may be over-compressing the spring with 7 of the shorter shells.

Big Bird
03-01-2011, 21:24
You may be over-compressing the spring with 7 of the shorter shells.

Ehh...If you put six 3" magnums in it the compression is about the same. I talked to Hans Vang about it a couple of weeks ago and he told me not to sweat it either when I asked him that specific question.

Strawberry 5
03-02-2011, 08:04
Can you use the Vang spring in the standard Express factory extended tube ?

WiskyT
03-02-2011, 15:19
Ehh...If you put six 3" magnums in it the compression is about the same. I talked to Hans Vang about it a couple of weeks ago and he told me not to sweat it either when I asked him that specific question.

Ehh..okay. FWIW, 7 2.75" shells are longer than 6 3" shells. I'd go by whatever Vang says.

Big Bird
03-11-2011, 17:59
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff88/Shelbyskinner/IMG_0215.jpg

I took a picture of some factory shells so everyone can see the tremendous variation in Shotshell length within a given shell size. These are all 2 3/4" factory shells from left to right. Notice the significant difference in length among these factory standard 2 3/4" shells!

Brenneke Classic 1 1/8 ounce Classic Slug
Federal #4 Buck Low Recoil Tactical Load
Winchester Ranger 00 Buck--9 pellet--Low Recoil
Remington 00 Buck 9 pellet High Velocity
Federal 00 Buck 9 pellet LE Tactical load.