has anyone had a slide mill for a Red-Dot done? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : has anyone had a slide mill for a Red-Dot done?

crashoverrideplik
03-01-2011, 22:44
I'm thinking of having this done to one of my G21's. I really want a Delta point for it but will probably do a Burris fast fire 2 because of the $$. Anyone with experience on this?

bentbiker
03-01-2011, 23:49
See http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312108 .

ColdBlooded
03-02-2011, 00:15
The delta point has two versions of packaging. One has 2-3 mounts, and the other has like 10 dovetail mounts. I had one in the dovetail of my G17, and it was sweet as S#*%. No need to mill. Especially if you decide that you do not like the setup. If you get the delta point I had the 7.5 moa and ultimately decided it was too big, and wish i had purchased the 3.5 dot.

crashoverrideplik
03-02-2011, 07:36
@bentbiker: Thanks for the link!

I've seen videos on Youtube were it was a drill and tap or placed in the dovetail and the dot was higher than the front sight. I could be wrong but I thought the whole purpose of the mill was so that the Dot was lined up with the front sight. If that's not the case, I'll save my $$ and dovetail it.

fgutie35
03-02-2011, 07:41
I would guess, that the lower the profile, the better. it would not trow you off that much when going back to plain sights. I had though about doing the same thing with my G19, but the milling in my neck of the woods, is more expensive than the burrisII sight.:shocked:
So I would be looking at $400 +/- which in that case, I might as well invest on the guide rod laser.

crashoverrideplik
03-02-2011, 07:56
I was going to send my slide to Glockworx to have it done because they can do it to your existing slide. All said and done I'd have $400 wrapped up in it with the Burris. The laser guide rod has been a idea since I can swap it back and forth into other G21's that I have.

GRT45
03-02-2011, 08:30
@bentbiker: Thanks for the link!

I've seen videos on Youtube were it was a drill and tap or placed in the dovetail and the dot was higher than the front sight. I could be wrong but I thought the whole purpose of the mill was so that the Dot was lined up with the front sight. If that's not the case, I'll save my $$ and dovetail it.

crashoverrideplik, one of the major features of the OST/TSD installation of the red dot sight on a milled slide is the placement of the optic between tall suppressor sights, used as backup iron sights (BUIS), so the RDS and iron sights co-witness (see picture below). This makes getting used to the RDS much easier in training. The iron sights help tremendously in picking up the red dot to put it on target quickly. I added a new OST web site link to my Post #2 at the link provided by bentbiker where you can see many more photos (RedDotPistols.com (http://www.reddotpistols.com)).

http://www.reddotpistols.com/gallery/OneSourceTactical-TSD-050.jpg

denn1911
03-02-2011, 10:09
I'm currently exploring the milling of a slide as we speak. I did pick up a DeltaPoint 7.5 MOA, and it is very nice. Keep us posted on your progression with this.