Slugs through this barrel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Slugs through this barrel?

jamesbern
03-02-2011, 22:16
So I just picked up a Remington 870 Express Synthetic. The Remington site says it has a fixed choke. Being new to all this i'm trying to understand all this. I understand chokes as different chokes allow the bird or buck shot to stay in a tighter pattern or group or spread out more depending on the choke.

My question is I want to shoot bird/buckshot and slugs at the range. Somebody I know mentioned to be careful with slugs cause if they don't fit you can mess up your gun.

I currently have these slugs.

http://frankbaumer.com/Heartland%20Pictures/More_Pics/Brenneke_KO_Slugs.gif

Upon checking my barrel I see this below on the side. Would this mean the fixed barrel choke is a cylinder sized choke? And if so, can slugs be fired safely from them? From what I have found and read a cylinder choke has no restriction.

I'd rather be safe than sorry which is why i'm asking.

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Photography/83ab1b1e.jpg

Gun in question:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j98/jamesbernatchez/Photography/48e9bc83.jpg

Police10-42
03-02-2011, 22:28
Ex police gun?

jamesbern
03-02-2011, 22:35
Nope bought new from the store today.

aippi
03-02-2011, 23:12
Yes you can shoot rifled slugs, buckshot and anything that is made for a 12ga up to 3".

jamesbern
03-02-2011, 23:18
That sounds good. I need some rounds for the local indoor range so I have to see what Walmart has tomorrow. I know the range is lead only, but need to find out if bird, buck, and/or slugs are OK.

I did find out the CYL just means it has a smooth bore.

DPris
03-03-2011, 00:04
Cyl is an abbreviation for "cylinder bore", which means no choke at all, not that it's a smoothbore.
Denis

Blast
03-03-2011, 04:45
Cyl is an abbreviation for "cylinder bore", which means no choke at all, not that it's a smoothbore.
Denis
^
This.
Then there's Improved Cylinder which is slightly choked. Modified Cylinder is a little more choke. And Full Choke.

http://herohog.com/images/guns/ammo/ChokeChart.jpg

Slugs are fine shot from Cylinder Bore and Improved cylinder. Can be shot from Modified Cylinder and even Full Choke, but I prefer not to do so. Is possible to screw up gun plus the slug would be pretty deformed.

Hedo1
03-03-2011, 15:01
Fixed choke means it doesn't have a removable choke that can be changed. It's a common feature on hunting or sporting shotguns.

Cylinder bore is fine for slugs or buck.

jamesbern
03-03-2011, 17:39
Thank you guys! I just picked up some 00 buckshot, #7.5, #6, and #4 birdshot to shoot at the indoor range this Saturday. They allow bird, buck, or slug as long as it's lead only.

Looks like i'm going to have a sore shoulder. :)

southernshooter
03-03-2011, 20:07
Thank you guys! I just picked up some 00 buckshot, #7.5, #6, and #4 birdshot to shoot at the indoor range this Saturday. They allow bird, buck, or slug as long as it's lead only.

Looks like i'm going to have a sore shoulder. :)

If you want to reduce felt recoil and not order a special stock you can get a Remington supercell recoil pad. Really helps with buckshot and slugs. The recoil pad that comes on an 870 is pretty hard rubber. PS, the only kind of slug not to get are sabot slugs. They are for shotguns with rifled barrels.

Captains1911
03-03-2011, 21:01
Nice gun, I just picked up the exact same one yesterday, I felt my gun collection was incomplete without an 870.

noway
03-05-2011, 16:42
Along with blast definition of chokes, you might find some SG with IM Improve Modified chokes. For slugs it's common to use the least amount of chokes for the best performance. CYL would be better over IC, Mod, IM or FULL.

glazer1972
03-05-2011, 20:05
I shoot Brenneke 1 1/4 oz. 2 3/4" Magnum Slugs through my 18.5" Police Fixed Modified Tritium Rifle Sighted Bbl. :whistling:

jamesbern
03-05-2011, 21:28
Shot today...damn my shoulder is bruised! Fun, but no way I can shoot it all day. After some low brass birdshot it wasn't too bad, but after a few slugs or buckshot my shoulder needed a break. Awesome gun though! Think I might put a Surefire fore grip on it next and a Remington Supercell Recoil Pad.

glazer1972
03-06-2011, 07:03
For sure put on a cushier pad. Mine has a Remington marked Limbsaver.

Z71bill
03-06-2011, 19:18
Shot today...damn my shoulder is bruised! Fun, but no way I can shoot it all day. After some low brass birdshot it wasn't too bad, but after a few slugs or buckshot my shoulder needed a break. Awesome gun though! Think I might put a Surefire fore grip on it next and a Remington Supercell Recoil Pad.

We have the same gun -

I have been shooting shotguns for 40 years - I don't need no stinking soft recoil pad!

I took my new 870 out and shot a few hundred rounds the first day - bird - buck & slugs

The next day I was HURTING - old people must bruise easier.

I got an R3 - problem solved -

The new supercell pad has also had good reviews.

Best $25 you can spend on shotgun comfort.

jamesbern
03-07-2011, 07:39
Yep, I decided to go with just the Supercell Recoil Pad for now. No flashlight grip. I'd rather take that ~$300 and buy more ammo and range time right now.

Captains1911
03-07-2011, 09:42
Yep, I decided to go with just the Supercell Recoil Pad for now. No flashlight grip. I'd rather take that ~$300 and buy more ammo and range time right now.

I ordered a super cell for mine too, it was only around $18 from Midway, the others were almost 3 times that much, sounds decent from the reviews.

ADK_40GLKr
03-07-2011, 18:10
We have the same gun -
I took my new 870 out and shot a few hundred rounds the first day - bird - buck & slugs
The next day I was HURTING - old people must bruise easier.

Had my share of shoulder bruises over the last 45 years.
What I've learned is to hold the butt-plate tight to my shoulder.... and don't blink.

Folsom_Prison
03-07-2011, 20:16
Nice boomstick OP!