grip scope mount, and glue, or other ideas? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : grip scope mount, and glue, or other ideas?

ithaca_deerslayer
03-04-2011, 09:31
I've got an aimtech grip mount (for a red dot scope) for one of my S&W 2206 .22LR.

The freaking grip mount keeps coming loose while shooting, and the grip screws are getting stripped. Not all that much to screw into, as I think the frame is aluminum.

Pretty good gun, but I've got another just like it. The resale value ain't much. I've probably got enough into it with the grip mount that there's really no practical alternative than to have these two things permanantly mated. I can remove the slide fine while the grip mount is attached (so I'm ok with having it permanently mounted). I don't want the grip mount to wiggle loose anymore while shooting!

What would you do?

I'm pretty impatient about working with stuff and am about to take a sledge hammer to it. My best idea at this point is to glue the grip mount to the frame, then put the screws in and glue them too. What glue would you use that would never break free from the massive recoil of a .22LR (which evidentally is enough to make it come loose).

I wonder if I should find a local welder who wants a laugh. Can you weld alumuninum to aluminum? But before I search for a welder guy, I'll try some glues.

I've actually just tried JB weld, but not sure if it will hold. As a test, I glued 2 nails together back to back, and while they held enough to pick up and handle, they didn't have much resistance when I snapped them apart. I know the nails are steel, but it was just a test.

With a good gun, I'd pay a gunsmith. But with this gun, I'm just frustrated with it. The rear sight came off, too. Gunsmith fixed it, then it came off again. I don't need it with the grip mount on.

Ughh!

03-04-2011, 20:04
If you never plan on removing the grip--use Red Loc-Tite. I have always used the Blue version for grip bushings on 1911's.

cciman
03-05-2011, 09:41
loc-tite works poorly on large aerobic areas- it has to be a anearobic environment

2 part methacrylate structural adhesives are very strong-- used to attach large highway signs-- also expensive and harder to find on the consumer level.

MA300 Adhesive by Plexus I have personal experience with-- very strong- not for filing spaces, both pieces should match at the bonding surface. If you go to your autoparts store and see a black 2 part black syringe made by Plexus-- it may be the same stuff. You only have a 4 min working time so plan it out.

Gorilla glue Quick cure should also work, if you have a way to hold in place until it cures. Not anything near the above.

03-05-2011, 10:34
I was thinking he might use the red lock tight on the screws--not the whole grip.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-08-2011, 08:26
Thanks guys, I will come back to this thread later after I see how the JB weld stuff holds (or doesn't hold).

:)