Legal ramifications of using a "mix-n-match" Glock for SD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Legal ramifications of using a "mix-n-match" Glock for SD

NYStatePD
03-04-2011, 22:00
Hi Mas,
I searched a bit and have not seen this come up yet. (It piques my interest however)

Example:
Would you have an issue using a G32 barrel in a G23 while carrying? (Or vice-versa)

I know there's always some overzealous DA that would test the water on this one if the pistol was used in a SD situation.

To your knowledge, has there ever been a shooting utilizing the set-up I described?

Stay safe and watch your six,
Frank

Mas Ayoob
03-05-2011, 05:44
It could happen, Frank, but I've never heard of it.

Should it occur, a well-prepared defense with a good expert witness would explain that interchangeable caliber guns are more common than ever: skeet gun sets with different gauge barrels working off the same receiver, interchangeable uppers for ARs, the popular H&R switch-barrel rifle, and of course, .357/.40 handguns. It would be explained that the .357 SIG with 125 grain bullet at 1350 fps wasn't significantly different from a .40 S&W with 135 grain bullet at 1300 fps.

Of course, if the shooter panicked and fled the scene, and had swapped out the barrels by the time the cops caught up with him, the DA would have a very good case of a man altering evidence to cover up a premeditated crime.

best,
Mas