do remington police barrel chambers come polished?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : do remington police barrel chambers come polished??

Meat-Hook
03-05-2011, 02:26
I have a Remington Police 870. 18" barrel, wood stocks with bead front sight.. Came from the factory that way.

I watched this video and wondered if the "police" barrels/chambers come from the factory already polished in order to aid with extraction??? if not, how do you polish them?? or should I send them back to the factory. I also have a spare (smoothbore) 18" barrel. This one has rifle sights on it. same question.

he mentions the barrel/chamber polishing at 3:35 in the video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZfZzsUaxE

mainegunner
03-05-2011, 02:55
Go to aippi's website and it will show you how to polish a barrel using 00 or 000 odd steel wool and a wooden dowel. Easy to do and cheap when it comes to remington 870's aippi is a wealth of knowledge.

22highcaps
03-05-2011, 09:46
I have 3 Police barrels and I have never had any extraction or feed problems so I will assume they came "polished". That said I have never owned an Express so I have nothing to compare them to.

David Armstrong
03-08-2011, 12:21
I have a Remington Police 870. 18" barrel, wood stocks with bead front sight.. Came from the factory that way.

I watched this video and wondered if the "police" barrels/chambers come from the factory already polished in order to aid with extraction??? if not, how do you polish them?? or should I send them back to the factory. I also have a spare (smoothbore) 18" barrel. This one has rifle sights on it. same question.

he mentions the barrel/chamber polishing at 3:35 in the video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIZfZzsUaxE
Are you having a problem with extraction? If not, don't worry about it, IMO.

DPris
03-08-2011, 15:41
The chambers in police barrels are polished at the factory.
Unless you're having extraction or feeding problems attributable to a bad chamber, don't worry about it & don't mess with it.
If you've never done it, it's not hard at all to overdo & end up with an out-of-round or otherwise out-of-spec chamber. Especially if playing with power tools.
Denis

M1Garand
03-08-2011, 16:23
Polished and smooth.

Meat-Hook
03-26-2011, 03:22
"Go to aippi's website and it will show you how to polish a barrel using 00 or 000 odd steel wool and a wooden dowel. Easy to do and cheap when it comes to remington 870's aippi is a wealth of knowledge."

thanks for your reply. I will check that out but I may have some follow-up questions in the future. So bear with me.

Just to clarify; "do these replacement barrels come from the factory already polished? yes,..or no?

my salute to AIPPI, and what he does for our firearms community. Not too many people give away free anything. Especially these days.

Meat-Hook
03-26-2011, 03:27
Polished and smooth.

good news.

So other NON-police,..18" barrels are not polished and smoothed? Only the Police barrels are??

Meat-Hook
03-26-2011, 03:37
"The chambers in police barrels are polished at the factory."
Unless you're having extraction or feeding problems attributable to a bad chamber, don't worry about it & don't mess with it.
If you've never done it, it's not hard at all to overdo & end up with an out-of-round or otherwise out-of-spec chamber. Especially if playing with power tools.
Denis

Bingo!

aippi
03-26-2011, 18:51
No matter how it came from the factory you should use the wooden dowel and steel wool every time you clean the weapon. This gets all the mess out of the chamber and bore. That is my cleaning method and keeps my barrel looking like fiber optic tubes.