HK USP45 Compact/Short Barrelled .45's [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : HK USP45 Compact/Short Barrelled .45's

dcowboyscr
03-05-2011, 08:20
Hi I recently bought an HK USP45 COMPACT which has a 3.8 inch polygonally rifled barrel. I'm having 2nd thoughts I should have purchased a 9mm or .40 when hearing about velocity loss in .45 going from the standard 5 inch barrel down to a 3.8 inch barrel vs. 9mm/.40 which are designed around a standard 4 inch barrel. Then to add to my confussion I visited a sight called "Ballistics by the Inch" in which they test different calibers/barrel lengths. From what I can tell the drop in their testing from 5 to 3.8 inch barreled .45 is not as bad as everyone's conventional wisdom with the exception is the lighter 185 gr +P rds. That dropped off around 100 fps. In addition, I'm hearing the .45 isn't good at penetrating barriers etc.

What is your opinion on the loads I should be shooting in this gun? Is the performance of .45 caliber at a 3.8 barrel length less than a 4 inch 9mm or .40? Will most rds. Reliably expand from my gun?

Thanks

Mas Ayoob
03-05-2011, 10:48
Modern high-tech bullets designed to allow .45 ACP to open up at lower velocity threshholds will answer your needs. They include Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger-T. The Gold Dot Short Barrel load in particular is tailor-made to your needs.

best,
Mas

dcowboyscr
03-05-2011, 14:23
Thank you for the reply sir. I will checkout those rounds.