Who likes the stock sights? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Who likes the stock sights?

Huge Grant
03-05-2011, 09:37
All right, so I actually like the stock sights and shoot my G19 well with them. However, it seems like the majority here don't like them, and switch them right out the box. Why? Is it just because they don't glow and you can't see them at night? Or are upgraded sights really more accurate?

Forgive me, I am a noob and I just couldn't find enough info via search. (I think I just suck at searching this site) I'm really just trying to understand if I should upgrade my sights and if it will actually help. I don't have any friends who own Glocks so I have not shot one without stock sights. Can anyone explain to me why you do or don't shoot better with upgraded sights?

brigadeer
03-05-2011, 09:39
All right, so I actually like the stock sights and shoot my G19 well with them. However, it seems like the majority here don't like them, and switch them right out the box. Why? Is it just because they don't glow and you can't see them at night? Or are upgraded sights really more accurate?

Forgive me, I am a noob and I just couldn't find enough info via search. (I think I just suck at searching this site) I'm really just trying to understand if I should upgrade my sights and if it will actually help. I don't have any friends who own Glocks so I have not shot one without stock sights. Can anyone explain to me why you do or don't shoot better with upgraded sights?

I would like to know this as well. Most people don't even shoot in the dark, so the night lights can't help them "shoot better". I am very curious as well, what is it that you like better about other sights than the Glock sights?

Mombo
03-05-2011, 09:42
To me, they are like those fake photographs that are in brand new picture frames......throw them in the trash after you purchase and put the real family photo in the frame!

P220forever
03-05-2011, 09:47
I don't mind the Glock standard sights as long as they're metal and not the plastic ones.
I prefer Von Stavenhagen or the Heinie Straight 8 sights but the Glocks are fine and I won't change them out. I can aquire a target much faster and get back on target quicker with these. I do not like 3 dot sights at all but haven't gotten around to replacing them on the one gun I own that has them.

jakebrake
03-05-2011, 09:48
I would like to know this as well. Most people don't even shoot in the dark, so the night lights can't help them "shoot better". I am very curious as well, what is it that you like better about other sights than the Glock sights?

i bought mine with nite sites on it. i like them, but, that's the type of sights i'm used to. 3 dots, and such. if she didn't have them, i would have learned to adjust.

Bruce M
03-05-2011, 09:48
I don't hate the Glock sights. I happen to like the TFO's better. If TFO's were priced like Leica scopes I would perfectly happy with the standard Glock sights.

carloglock19
03-05-2011, 09:59
I like 3 dot sights better!

cciman
03-05-2011, 10:01
I like the stock ones, work great in most scenarios.

The issue is low light scenario. If you will never have one of those, then save your money.

eazyrhino
03-05-2011, 10:03
I like the factory dot in the bucket design but don't like they are not made of steel. Nonetheless IMO. they are good, somewhat durable for plastic sights.

AK74play
03-05-2011, 10:03

I own 16 Glocks and all but 3 have the factory polymer sights. 5 of them (Long slides) have the factory adjustable sights and I love them. Many dis like for their own reasons and thats normal. Their not for everyone, but with 20 years of Glockin, I can not report even one single issue not to run the factory polymer sights except for personal taiste. I have 3 with night sights simply because of their intended purpose. I carry them all, Range them all, and shoot competition with most of them. If you personally prefer something else then thats what you should use but there certainly is nothing wrong with the factory polymer sights. :wavey:

Gunruner1917
03-05-2011, 10:05
I use the factory sights just fine. I even have a second set $5 worth as a backup if I drop my gun on the sights on a hard surface. Or if I pistol wip a badguy hard enough to ruin the sights(lol). As I posted before on another thread. Since my guns not electric I have no use for batteries on it. If I can point my finger at the bad guy in the dark I have no reason to own (glow in the dark $$$) night sights. My Glock 19's are natural pointers for me. Dosen't do you ANY good to be able to see the sights but not the badguy. They need to require badguys to have night lights installed on them. Flashlights on guns give your position away and broadcast that your coming. I can throw my flashlight away since it's not fastened to my gun. Don't want to throw a gun away in a fight, do we. I've carried on the job and off for over 25 years. Even used a gun twice to defend myself. Night sights do work real good on indoor ranges where the target is floodlighted and your gun is in subdued light. These are just my opinions and not the opinions of expensive gunsight makers..........Mike

Butch
03-05-2011, 10:21
I like the factory dot in the bucket design but don't like they are not made of steel.
But they do!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20sights/DSC00792.jpg

JimmyB62
03-05-2011, 10:29
I don't think anyone has really answered the question about WHY they don't like the plastic sights. For me:

They are plastic and easily dinged up and dented. You can get a very fuzzy sight picture if the edges of the sight are damaged.

The front sight is too wide and the rear notch too narrow. This makes a quick precise sight picture harder to obtain.

I don't like white anything on my rear sight. The white outline is the worst. This is just personal preference. I didn't like it on S&W revolvers either.

Glock 17L
03-05-2011, 10:33
I like the sight picture & have never had a plastic sight break off or cause any trouble..
I really like red fiber optic front sights & have them on both my current Glocks..

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1254/p2240003.jpg

Captains1911
03-05-2011, 10:37
Because the factory polymer sights are fragile.

TXFreefaller
03-05-2011, 10:37
I'm not a big fan of the "dot in bucket" sights on my Gen4 but i'll admit they have grown on me since my purchase. Night sights are a coming soon upgrade. I heard somewhere that 80% of incidents involving a handgun occur at night or in low light, so night sights seem like a good investment to me

Butch
03-05-2011, 10:40

As you can probably see from all the replies made so far, sights are like holsters and underwear, everyone has their own preferences! :)

The ONLY possible thing 'wrong' with the Glock factory polymer sights is that they are not as durable as steel sights when you hit them against something. The good side of that is that they are cheap, fast, and easy to replace when needed.

Not too long ago, Glock redesigned their front polymer sight from the old pin/wedge retained style;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20sights/Frontsights.jpg

to a screw on type;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20sights/DSC09532.jpg

The new style is an improvement in two ways, one is that it is more secure, and the other is that it is about .01" more narrow than the old one, which a lot of people prefer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20sights/DSC09813.jpg

I don't much care for three dot type sights, but find that the white dot front, and white outline rear of the Glock sights works great for me!

Sights don't make guns more accurate, but they might make it easier for a given person to shoot a gun more accurately because everyone has differing vision capabilities and different preferences.

Most of my Glocks still have the original factory sights on them, my carry guns have a night sight on the front with a Glock poly on the rear, but I just recently installed the factory steel rear on my G38.

Don't let anyone talk you out of using the polymer sights if you like them, they work just fine as long as you aren't in the habit of knocking them against things.

Butch
03-05-2011, 10:48
The front sight is too wide and the rear notch too narrow.
Well, the front sight *was* a touch too wide.....OR....the rear is too narrow, but not both. :) And they fixed that with the newer screw on front sight.

This makes a quick precise sight picture harder to obtain.
That would be a contradiction. Sights that have more space between the front blade and the rear notch are faster to align, but they are less precise as they give more room for error.

Twoglocks
03-05-2011, 10:54
I like 3 dot sights better!

With 3 dots when shooting fast in dim condition I will put the front dot to the right of the rear sight, that's why I have the rear dots blackened

brigadeer
03-05-2011, 10:55
I like the sight picture & have never had a plastic sight break off or cause any trouble..
I really like red fiber optic front sights & have them on both my current Glocks..

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/1254/p2240003.jpg

Wow, those front fiber optic sites are awesome! Do you mind telling me what brand those are or where you got them? Also, were you able to install them yourself, or did you need to take your gun to a Glock Armorer to have them installed?

AgentM79
03-05-2011, 11:19
Butch, as usual, hit the nail on the head - use the sights that YOU like.

I LIKE the stock polymer sights in that the "goalpost/dot" (or "bucket/dot" if you prefer) is easy to pick up. Not the world's best target sight, but very easy to pick up "under speed". The ORIGINAL polymer dot (not the newer screw-on) sight has a larger, brighter white dot. Of course, marksmanship training teaches you to line up the top of the rear and front sights, with equal light visible on either side of the front, viewed through the rear. But the goalpost/dot pattern just "lines up" with less effort. That's why I like it.

With that said, I like it in STEEL a good deal better for durability reasons. One handed malfunction clearance drills and some "security" holster designs will damage polymer sights quickly. Glock gives up this option. I have Glock OEM steel sights (non-tritium) on my Gen3 G17. It came that way, and I've never seen fit to change them. The corners are turning white from uniform holster wear, but the tennifer continues to provide corrosion resistance.

My Gen1 G17 has the factory polymer sights, and I love the nice, big white front dot. It's bigger than the white dot on the Gen3's steel non-tritium front. I might eventually go Glock OEM steel white-outline rear, and Glock OEM tritium screw-on front on this gun. That way, the sights are as corrosion-resistant as the rest of the gun.

My Gen2 G17 mates up Glock's OEM steel rear with a Hi-Viz fiber optic red overmold tactical front. I had to go with a .45ACP (6.9) height rear to restore POA/POI with the Hi-Viz front. That configuration emerged from Glock Instructor School. Their outstanding District LE sales manager noticed I was shooting a tad low with no anticipation, so he installed the higher rear sight for me on the spot.

So, now you've heard from someone who REALLY likes "stock" sights. I like the corrosion resistance offered by Glock's OEM sights in either steel or polymer. I don't care much about the relative width of the front sight to the rear sight notch. The Gen2 with the Hi-Viz front DOES have a slightly more "roomy" sight picture, though, and I DO like it.

captcurly
03-05-2011, 11:29
I have no problem with the 4 Glocks I shoot.

cerebral aSSassin
03-05-2011, 11:31
i dont mind mine at all, when i first bought the gun i thought they were pretty cool, only having delt with heinie straight eights it was a little bit of an improvement.

Meeteetse
03-05-2011, 11:51
I like the standard Glock sights and shoot well with them, atleast in normal light conditions. I have decided that night conditions require more than just night sights and so I always have a strong flashlight with me or available. That is not a cure for surprise or quick reaction situations, but that is what I am doing right now.

I sometimes wish manufacturers would make luminescent (glow in the dark) sights again that can be activated with a flashlight. I had a Beretta once that had them and they worked well. In the mean time I will continue with the factory sights.

p.s. I've had a couple of Glocks since the early 90's (gen2) and they have seen some pretty hard use, but I have never had trouble with the sights.

Brian Lee
03-05-2011, 11:58
I've got night sights, but now that I have them, I think I liked the stock plastic ones the best.

Sonnytoo
03-05-2011, 11:59
Because the factory polymer sights are fragile.

This is the best response, followed by the post that Glock does make steel sights and/or night-sights if you buy them.

I use a night-sight post front-sight and steel on the back. I prefer Heinie, although there are other good brands like AmeriGlo, Warren-Sevigny, 10-8 Performance.
S2

Sonnytoo
03-05-2011, 12:00
double-entry...

Huge Grant
03-05-2011, 13:47
Awesome... ran a couple errands and bam, 26 replies. Love this site.

The plastic material is a non-issue for me, I'm strictly a hobbyist so if I damage them it's my fault only.

I'm totally comfortable with the sight picture as is, so I'm leaving them be! Thanks for all the good info... GT'ers are cool, man.

P220forever
03-05-2011, 14:05
But they do!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/ButchG17/Glock%20sights/DSC00792.jpg

Exactly. You can order your Glock with factory steel sights, which is what I do.

Buildwonder
03-05-2011, 14:29
I shoot for fun and recreation and love the factory sights!

bigcix
03-05-2011, 14:31
I don't mind the stock ones.

Nakanokalronin
03-05-2011, 15:47
I like the ball-in-a-cup sight picture even though I usually prefer 3 dots. I've changed the fronts to tritium and the rear to Glock steel sights on all my Glocks.

verde
03-05-2011, 17:25
They are OK to me. I prefer the screw in tipe ones.

Mohawk Grenade
03-05-2011, 17:29
I'm just not down with the plastic sights. I switched my g17 to 10-8 brass bead upfront and the U shape in the back.

robin303
03-05-2011, 17:50
I have the Ameiglo on my 17 and stock on my 19 and shoot it in USPSA. I'm fine with them.

ennbee15
03-05-2011, 17:58
the stock ones work for me. i like them. i think all guns should be made with night sights, standard. just my opinion.

TSAX
03-05-2011, 18:00
I like em just fine.

cjcutter1
03-05-2011, 20:20
They work for me just fine.

shootaglock89
03-05-2011, 20:23
The factory sights are ok for combat situations. However, I do like to shoot IDPA with my 19, so I am about to change to the Sevigny Fiber Optic front. I like to be able to see my target past the sight at 20 yards.

Mr_C
03-05-2011, 20:39
I have stock sites on my glocks, but I do not like them.. and here is why.

If you line up the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight, then the rear sight actually blocks about the bottom 1/5th of the dot on the front sight. The dot should be smaller, higher, or the cutout on the rear sight should be lower. The shooter should be focusing on the front sight, and one would naturally raise it up so you can see the whole dot, but now you are shooting high.

That said, I haven't replaced the sights on my Glock, and I shoot USPSA with it very frequently.

Folsom_Prison
03-05-2011, 20:53
I like my factory sights, I'm content. Ymmv.

Huge Grant
03-05-2011, 22:31

If you line up the top of the front sight with the top of the rear sight, then the rear sight actually blocks about the bottom 1/5th of the dot on the front sight. The dot should be smaller, higher, or the cutout on the rear sight should be lower. The shooter should be focusing on the front sight, and one would naturally raise it up so you can see the whole dot, but now you are shooting high.

That said, I haven't replaced the sights on my Glock, and I shoot USPSA with it very frequently.

Now that's a good answer. Just got done with dry fire practice and wow, you're right. I never noticed that before. I hope it doesn't start to get in my head :wow:

conpro
03-05-2011, 22:42
I KEEP ALL MY GLOCKS ALL STOCK INCLUDING THE SIGHTS. GLOCK GOT IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. :dunno:

multo17
03-06-2011, 00:40
I have the standard factory plastic sites on all my Glocks, & I don't mind. Someday in the future, I would like to get metal night sites on my G30 & G23.:cool:

FLuXmr2spyder
03-06-2011, 01:42
I don't think anyone has really answered the question about WHY they don't like the plastic sights. For me:

They are plastic and easily dinged up and dented. You can get a very fuzzy sight picture if the edges of the sight are damaged.

The front sight is too wide and the rear notch too narrow. This makes a quick precise sight picture harder to obtain.

ditto

now that im getting better with my trig cntrl, i find that for me it is def harder to acquire a good fast accurate sight picture compared to the mepros on my kimber...so when the time comes, i will def upgrade to 3-dot, its just what im accustomed to use and for me it works GOOD

AgentM79
03-06-2011, 04:39

I have noticed this, too. Just putting the dot inside the goalpost is fine for fast shooting. For more precise work, the bottom of the circle disappears when the top of the front sight is aligned with the top of the rear sight. I use this as visual feedback. It doesn't bother me.

Mudshark100
03-06-2011, 05:56
I've got night sights, but now that I have them, I think I liked the stock plastic ones the best.
Same with me. I never had problems with the stock sights but changed to Trijicons because I read good things about them. I had difficulty seeing the Trijicons under certain daylight conditions. I gave it 2 to 3 weeks and just didn't like them. I switched back to the stock sights and have been happy ever since.

G19Paul
03-06-2011, 06:24
I always seem to have other things to spend my money on. I always tell myself that WHEN my stock factory sights fall-off, break-off, spin-off, slide-sideways, etc. that I'd put "real" sights on them.

It has never happened to me. Factory sights have been fine for many years (and on several pistols), all my poor shots are because of me, and maybe some bad ammo through the years. I always have some sort of hand-held illumination with me so my need for lit-up sights aren't justified (for me).

My G19 & G36 see multiple holster types through the seasons of EDC; and the poor G19 has even been dropped a few times. The sights (on both) have been fine.

I totally understand those who opt for night-sights, so I'm not knocking them.

TangoFoxtrot
03-06-2011, 06:28
The Glock plastic crappy sights are the biggest problem I have with Glock Inc. Why not just put decent metal ones on for the price you pay.

Butch
03-06-2011, 06:42
Why not just put decent metal ones on for the price you pay.
The cheapest steel sights cost more than twice as much as the polymer sights, if they put steel sights on them all, they'd have to raise the price of the gun to everyone.....and a great many people would still replace the sights.....better to start with cheap, but functional polymer sights IMO.

reniram
03-06-2011, 06:50
They're all I've ever used.

AgentM79
03-06-2011, 06:51
The Glock plastic crappy sights are the biggest ***** I have with Glock Inc. Why not just put decent metal ones on for the price you pay.

For all of $30.00 (steel), or 57.00 (tritium) more, you can have Glock OEM metal sights. Remember, the original intent was that sights be easily replaceable and inexpensive. No vise, hammer, or file required. All you need are simple-to-use handheld tools to replace polymer factory sights. The original front could actually be replaced just with the Armorer's punch alone.

From an Armorer standpoint, I've come to appreciate the simplicity of Glock sights. You don't have one-way dovetails or a requirement to peen anything. The Glock OEM sights - polymer or steel - are self-fitting. This is a good thing.

Huge Grant
03-06-2011, 08:50
Same with me. I never had problems with the stock sights but changed to Trijicons because I read good things about them. I had difficulty seeing the Trijicons under certain daylight conditions. I gave it 2 to 3 weeks and just didn't like them. I switched back to the stock sights and have been happy ever since.

Thx for this.... trying to avoid this situation, that's why I posted. I won't change my sights until I can be convinced through actual use on another gun.

TangoFoxtrot
03-06-2011, 10:07
The cheapest steel sights cost more than twice as much as the polymer sights, if they put steel sights on them all, they'd have to raise the price of the gun to everyone.....and a great many people would still replace the sights.....better to start with cheap, but functional polymer sights IMO.

Well replacing them with good sights for the same price would be a great market ploy.IMO

GNiner
03-06-2011, 11:00
I have tried Heine blacks, Heine Trij, Mepros, Warren Sevignies, Ameriglos (and others I can't remember) just because I read how great they were or because Dave Sevigny was using them (and he is the best Glock shooter in the world), etc. Well I finally got it through my thick skull that Dave S wasn't the best shooter in the world because of the sights.

I then tested my bullseye accuracy with each of the sights multiple times with the same ammo to determine what was best for me. I now use the standard steel Glock sights on all of my Glocks except one, which has the Mepros. You just need to use what is best for your eyes. If you are happy with the way you shoot with Glock sights, don't waste your money looking for something "better".