gun grab [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : gun grab

1canvas
03-05-2011, 11:33
in the event of a hand to hand fight that you have tried to avoid and was not the instigator of, what happens when the aggressor grabs for your gun? if a fight for the gun takes place could you be justified to now use deadly force even if 1, you gain contol of the gun and the aggressor contiues the attack? or 2 if while fighting for the gun you pull a bug?
i know this is a legal question and you not a lawyer but this senario is very possible and you may have delt with it in the past.
for me i carry pepper spray for that reason. i think that a hands on encounter could be deadly for me if i'm carrying and not justified drawing my pistol.
thank you.

Mas Ayoob
03-05-2011, 20:59
in the event of a hand to hand fight that you have tried to avoid and was not the instigator of, what happens when the aggressor grabs for your gun? if a fight for the gun takes place could you be justified to now use deadly force even if 1, you gain contol of the gun and the aggressor contiues the attack? or 2 if while fighting for the gun you pull a bug?
i know this is a legal question and you not a lawyer but this senario is very possible and you may have delt with it in the past.
for me i carry pepper spray for that reason. i think that a hands on encounter could be deadly for me if i'm carrying and not justified drawing my pistol.
thank you.

As an instructor in weapon retention and related disciplines, I can tell you that in your hypothetical in the first paragraph, you're justified in using lethal force under the generally taught protocols.

Pepper spray does indeed allow you to maintain distance in a lower level confrontation, and FWIW I think your approach is on the right track.

best,
Mas

1canvas
03-05-2011, 21:51
thank you.