improving speed shooting [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : improving speed shooting

jetdefiant
03-06-2011, 10:54
This is sort of reloading related. I want to start getting into speed shooting and all the vids i see of competitions, they (shooters) have virtually no recoil and have no problem coming back on target. Is this due to down loading their rounds? When I shoot, no matter what stance or firmness or arm position I always get enough recoil that it takes me a second to get back on target.

WiskyT
03-06-2011, 11:01
You can only load down so much. Semi autos will fail to cycle and even revolvers will have the brass fail to obtruate and blow powder gasses back down the case and squib the bullet.

Yes, reducing recoil allows you to shoot faster. I've shot a G22 and G17 side by side on a timer at a plate rack. Both guns were using relatively low loads. In every case, my times were faster with the 9mm because of the lower recoil.

So lower recoil helps, but the pros could be shooting a scandium 357 against me shooting a steel framed 22LR, and the pro would still beat me because they are better.

ron59
03-06-2011, 11:03
There are certainly some "tricks" that help (certain loads, recoil spring setup, etc), I use 'em all and still can't control recoil like they do. Largely it's technique. Those guys could probably take factory guns/loads and still control the recoil better than you and me.

It's *tons* of rounds downrange, and the right technique. These guys are as good as they are and still shooting 50,000 rounds per year.

Watch this guy explain recoil control with one hand.
http://www.oregonshooting.com/vids/grip2.wmv

The above video demonstrates the camming of the left wrist which Sevigny talks about in this article, below:

The Combat Handgun Grip (should be called the Modern Day Competition Shooting grip)
http://www.handgunsmag.com/tactics_training/combatg_100306/index.html
The grip developed and used by Rob Leatham, Brian Enos, Dave Sevigny, and used by
probably the majority of top shooters around.