Colt MK IV Series 80 --- Price Check !?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt MK IV Series 80 --- Price Check !?!

Bob469
03-08-2011, 08:26
So I've been wanting a 1911 for sometime now cuz i just feel everyone should have one apart of their collection. It is history after all and what better 1911 to have than a COLT !

Being a college kid I dont really want to buy one right now... I've got my eye on the kimber solo at the moment =) but im afraid i'll kick myself in the ass forever if i dont buy this colt

Like the title says its a MK IV Series 80 Government Model Full Size .45 ACP... Its the SS model with the matte ontop of the slide and sides being more of a polished... Perhaps the "enhanced" model if heard about... It has the really skinny trigger and "combat" safety and grip safety ( not sure what their called if not combat but their the really low profile ones) Its fairly clean but with normal wear marks here and there which can deff be buffed out with some elbow grease... Its all stock with a SS guide rod/ spring and adjustable sights...

What would this be worth / whats a good price to pay for it ? I've searched and searched for a couple days and cant really find anything recent or thats the same model... and im sorry for not knowing all the 1911 Lingo haha

true believer
03-08-2011, 18:25
a guess, 6 to 800 maybe...not how much is it but how much do u want to pay...
if u want it get it!! imo..
:whistling:

Jason D
03-08-2011, 18:42
I kick myself now for passing on one for 400 even several years ago.
My reason for passing, was the gritty feeling trigger.

mojojojo1
03-08-2011, 18:52
If it helps any I just bought a stock stainless Colt Combat Commander (Enhanced version) for $700. Soulds like this might be a fair price for what you describe as well.

Bob469
03-08-2011, 22:36
The price on the gun is 700 but i've done alot of business with them and prob could get it for around 600... So im finding that this isnt a great deal but it is very fair and worst comes to worst i wont lose money...

There is also a Para Carry 12 LDA for 700 but i think given the opportunity the Colt is the better buy / investment where the Para is more functional with the DA trigger and 12rd capacity...

Thanks for all the replys... Keep em coming !!!

zhix
03-09-2011, 14:04
I cannot recommend a Para of any kind, not because of quality (which isn't great either) but because of the way they treat their customers.

I'm not sure exactly which series 80 you're looking at but it sounds like a basic MKIV Stainless, although there was an "Ultimate" bright stainless steel version. The regular version will have a blasted/matte top of slide and the slab sides would be shiny in comparison, but not high-polished.

According to the Blue Book, an MKIV series80 SS is worth $725 at 95% condition, $650 at 90%, and $575 at 80%

Depending on the exact model, MKIV series 80 guns were discontinued around 1998.

IMO in the condition you describe you might not be doing too bad if the store will give you a break, and unless there is major damage/wear to the frame or slide, it's hard to go wrong with a Colt.

Bob469
03-10-2011, 11:03
Zhix thank you... Very helpful... I must be looking at the regular model... Does this also come with the thin grip safety ? The one on this gun isn't a beavertail at all... I would say it is prob around 90%...

I have heard bad and good about para but alot of people have said they fix whatever wrong... I'm used to glock and Kel rec type CS although I've never had to use Glocks but Kel Tec has shipped me parts at no cost...

There's just something about that LDA trigger and the 12rd capacity that has me interested...

How is Colts CS ?

zhix
03-10-2011, 12:04
Para fixed an ejector that broke off of my brand new GI Expert; took about 4 and a half months from the time I had to ship it off with my own money while I waited for them to re-machine the frame while the whole time not knowing what the hell was going on since they don't answer the phone or return calls, and if I did get someone one the phone it was usually a moron with an attitude.

The only experience I have with Colt CS is when I asked them for new grips for my Delta Elite because the rubber around the grip screw hole was torn and they sent me new ones without any trouble.
I have always heard varying opinions of Colt in general, but either way I don't believe you would have any type of warranty on a used gun.

Dad used to have an MKIV series 80 Stainless, as far as I can remember it had basic white dot sights, arched mainspring housing, long black metal trigger, basic slide stop, and mag release, regular thumb safety(single side, not wide or extended) ans stock grip safety(no bump or beavertail).

Bob469
03-11-2011, 02:42
wow thats BS on para's behalf... Seem's thats becoming more and more the norm anymore though...

I think your talking about the same model i am... mine looks exactly like this one in the link below except mine has much brighter SS... This one looks almost all bead blasted... could perhaps be the lighting though... but wears all the same controls ( Grip Safety, Thumb Safety, Sights, hammer, and trigger ) the one im looking at also has houge wrap arounds.

http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/coltpistol/DSC01955.jpg

jrs93accord
03-11-2011, 02:53
The price on the gun is 700 but i've done alot of business with them and prob could get it for around 600... So im finding that this isnt a great deal but it is very fair and worst comes to worst i wont lose money...

There is also a Para Carry 12 LDA for 700 but i think given the opportunity the Colt is the better buy / investment where the Para is more functional with the DA trigger and 12rd capacity...

Thanks for all the replys... Keep em coming !!!

A stainless Colt Series 80 MKIV Government Model for $700 is a fair price itself. If you were able to get it for less, that would be icing on the cake.

Nickpisp
03-11-2011, 03:16
wow thats BS on para's behalf... Seem's thats becoming more and more the norm anymore though...

I think your talking about the same model i am... mine looks exactly like this one in the link below except mine has much brighter SS... This one looks almost all bead blasted... could perhaps be the lighting though... but wears all the same controls ( Grip Safety, Thumb Safety, Sights, hammer, and trigger ) the one im looking at also has houge wrap arounds.

http://collectorebooks.com/gregg01/coltpistol/DSC01955.jpg

Does yours look like this:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Nickpisp/917971056_photobucket_13845_.jpg

zhix
03-11-2011, 12:05
I believe it's the lighting in the photo or a different finish altogether, but here is a photo of one that is supposed to have the "ultimate" finish:

http://mysite.verizon.net/od45/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/1988ultimate.jpg

Some models of the MKIV 80 had facory rubber "combat" grips, but I can't find any models with the gold cup type sights like the one in the pic you posted.

IMO the price seems to be decent and if you are sure you want it, I would get it. I have bought guns that I didn't end up liking but you can't know for sure until you own/shoot it.
Would you kick yourself more if you bought it and didn't like it or if you pass it up and later wish you had gotten it?

Bob469
03-18-2011, 09:46
See mine looks exactly like that "enhanced" model with the bright sides and bead blasted top... has the same everything except the adjustable sights and mine also has aftermarket houge's...

Haha good question... I deff want it, I've wanted a 1911 for some time... and Really wanted a Colt... I just would rather spend my money on something else right now ( solo carry )... Unfortunately Im still a college kid and I try to tell myself to only add functional guns to the collection for now haha... Functional in meaning things i can regularly carry... a full size steel 1911 will get carried but rarely...

Buttt I know i want one in the next year or two and Will kick myself in the ass for not buying it... But will also kick myself in the ass with summer approaching and i got a big ass 1911 that wont get carried and will be wishing i bought something else first...

I think the Colt will just have to go on layaway for a month or two and I will figure out a way for both haha

Bob469
03-24-2011, 13:36
Well... I put it on Lay a way... And I think Im gonna go with the Kahr CM9 instead of the Solo... So im doubting i'll let her sit for long haha...

What cha think ? It needs a good cleaning and polishing...

Can anyone tell me what kinda guide rod / spring this is ? Never seen a flat one ?