G23 feeding malfunctions related to use of tactical lights. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G23 feeding malfunctions related to use of tactical lights.

PIMarine1984
03-08-2011, 16:14
Hello, Glock Talk. I recently bought a G23, gen 4 and am considering purchasing a TLR-1S. I was surprised to see the issue of feeding malfunctions related to tactical light use. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? It might be a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the read.

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/issues/GlockIssues.pdf

PIMarine1984
03-08-2011, 20:26
I apologize for the reposting this. I didn't think it posted earlier.

plasticslap
03-08-2011, 20:30
Hmm, mine works fine. It's a Gen 3. Never heard of this issue.

AA#5
03-08-2011, 20:34
Some lights like the SureFire have a warning in the manual about the light causing malfunctions only in polymer-framed guns. It's not worth worrying about to me, so I use a handheld light for my bedside Glock.

hikerpaddler
03-08-2011, 20:50
We've never had a problem with mounted lights on gen 3 22's and 23's, despite much internet conjecture. Not a problem over a sea of rounds and scores of shooters. Id suspect the same with gen 4. Hello, Glock Talk. I recently bought a G23, gen 4 and am considering purchasing a TLR-1S. I was surprised to see the issue of feeding malfunctions related to tactical light use. Does anyone have any experience with this issue? It might be a deal breaker for me. Thanks for the read.

http://www.streamlight.com/documents/issues/GlockIssues.pdf

1canvas
03-08-2011, 21:20
i was also surprized after i bought my 23. i had planed on mounting the light also, but after reading about issues with lights i just forgot about it.

LV_G26
03-09-2011, 00:12
There were some who had this problem with Gen 3 G23's and G22's.

I have NOT heard of anyone having these problems with the 40cal GEN 4's.

Personally, I have two Gen 4 G22's and one Gen 4 G23 that I have extensively tested with. Surefire x300.

All have been flawless with hundreds of rounds.

Still recommend testing YOUR weapon with YOUR light and YOUR ammo before betting YOUR life on it.

mccallisterbrian
03-09-2011, 08:08
I have a Glock 22 & 23 Gen 4 that I use a Glock GTL-10 on and have never had any issue with. They did have issues at one time with the Gen 4 17's but that was due to a recall spring issue that has been taken care of by getting the updated spring from Glock

Captains1911
03-09-2011, 08:52
I had the issue with my Gen3 G23 with a Streamlight TLR-1s. With the light attached, a few mags would give me occasional FTFs (failure to feeds), where the round would be jammed nose down into the bottom of the feed ramp. The malfunctions would occur once every 20 rds or so. The same mags and gun ran reliably without the light mounted.

I replaced all my mag springs with ISMI +power springs, and haven't experienced the issue since. I have put a few hundred rounds through the gun with the same mags and the light without a malfunction. So if you experience this issue, try extra power mag springs, likely your problem will go away.

I have not heard of this being an issue with the Gen4 .40 cals.

locosteelersfan
03-09-2011, 15:20
Can't say I read it in official reports but it was said before that the double recoil spring in the Gen4 was too fix the light issue.

RyanNREMTP
03-09-2011, 17:17
From what I remember it was mainly the Gen 3s that had this issue regarding G22 and I think G23s. Glock found that if they added an extra coil of spring in the magazine the issues would be resolved. I haven't heard anything about the Gen 4s having the same issue but that is because I don't have any Gen 4s and don't plan on buying one soon.

I would do what the others recommended and shoot the heck out of the gun with the light attached before depending on it.