About to buy my first 1911. What do you think? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : About to buy my first 1911. What do you think?

LarryD1130
03-08-2011, 16:42
The title says it all. I'm about to pull the trigger on my first 1911 purchase. I have been researching it for a while now and I think I’m ready. I want to get a Kimber Custom TLE II. I do have a few more questions though.

How important is an ambidextrous safety? I like the idea but will I really need it and could it mess me up somehow.
Do any of yinz like how a rail looks on a 1911? Again I like the idea but I don't think I will use it and I think it doesn't look as good.

It will be used for range work and maybe HD.

FLSlim
03-08-2011, 16:51
Clearly a personal preference question--or if you are a lefty.... I understand that there could be instances where it would be useful, but I have no use for an ambi safety.

Cerebrus
03-08-2011, 17:02
The TLE is a nice shooter no doubt...as far as the ambi goes.. if yer a lefty I guess I could see keeping it, if not ditch it. It is just something else that can fail. As for the rail, I prefer function over cosmetics every time.. Use it hard and enjoy it!!

R0CKETMAN
03-08-2011, 17:10
Thought you were going to buy an Ed Brown? No ambi unless you're LH.

LarryD1130
03-08-2011, 17:48
Thought you were going to buy an Ed Brown? No ambi unless you're LH.

LOL. Eventually. Right now I want to get comfortable with the platform. I don't want an ambi safety or a rail. I just wanted to hear some opinions. If I want a laser I'm get a grip mounted one and I already have a Surefire. I want to get either a Kimber Custom TLE II or a STI Trojan.

doneroman
03-08-2011, 17:50
How important is an ambidextrous safety? I like the idea but will I really need it and could it mess me up somehow.
Do any of yinz like how a rail looks on a 1911? Again I like the idea but I don't think it looks as good.

It will be used for range work and maybe HD.

Congrats. Ambi is for leftys and tactical teams/LEO duty.

I don't mind the LOOK of the rail but our agency won't let you put anything on it, so it's moot for me right now.

LarryD1130
03-11-2011, 08:34
I'm so indecisive. Now I'm kind of thinking about getting the rail.

Which one would yinz choose? Kimber Custom TLE/RL II or STI Trojan

knedrgr
03-11-2011, 09:02
yeah, ambi's are useless until you have to shoot with your support hand...

Just throwing out another option to consider, Springfield MC Operator.

B_RAD
03-11-2011, 09:03
I'm so indecisive. Now I'm kind of thinking about getting the rail.

Which one would yinz choose? Kimber Custom TLE/RL II or STI Trojan

What's the $ difference? If they're the same price I'd probably buy the STI. I have a TLE II and I love it! It freakin shoots! I've never even held a Trojan(1911 that is) but I'd bet it's a better gun than the Kimber! Just my $0.02.

panhandleTX
03-11-2011, 10:21
I have a Kimber Stainless Custom (before the firing pin safety). I carried it everyday on duty. It keeps getting better as time goes by. I have not used a TLE. I know folks who have the Springfield G.I. and Colt 1991. If you want something to try before you spend big money, these were recommended. I personally like the Colt. Remington's new R1 1911 looks interesting. A local gunsmith swears by the new Charles Daily 1911 (made in Phillipines). The ambi safety is really personal choice. I personally prefer not to have it, they can be fragile. When I was going through the academy, one range instructor said the ambi would make the gun perfect, while another said it was not needed at all. Whatever you choose, I hope you get a good one! I really like the platform. With practice, you can be extremely effective with a 1911. I do suggest Wilson Combat magazines. I have never had one fail to function correctly.

LarryD1130
03-11-2011, 14:23
What's the $ difference? If they're the same price I'd probably buy the STI. I have a TLE II and I love it! It freakin shoots! I've never even held a Trojan(1911 that is) but I'd bet it's a better gun than the Kimber! Just my $0.02.

Why? You just said you love your Kimber and you never shot the STI.

B_RAD
03-11-2011, 17:45
Why? You just said you love your Kimber and you never shot the STI.

I heard from more than one person that the Trojan is about as good as it gets for under the 1K mark! I'm not just talking about people in the gun store. I'm talking about people who I believe know what they're talking about! I've never had handled the STI Trojan but I've had the chance to shoot some other STI guns and I think they build solid guns. Better than Kimber IMO. Maybe the kimbers have a better finish(more durable?)? Maybe?! If you don't want either of those you may look at some of the Dan Wesson 1911. You probably won't get a Valor for that price but you may find a Heritage for around the same price. I like Dan Wesson 1911 as well!

Oh yeah, I don't think the TLE comes with an ambi thumb
safety? Mine doesn't have one. Though I bought it used...... For $600!