N-frames tear my trigger finger up? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : N-frames tear my trigger finger up?

AndABeer
03-09-2011, 06:59
I used to dismiss this as a .44 hot load thing with my 629. But with my recently acquired 625, I also get injured. After say 30-40 rounds my trigger finger is always bleeding. I don't shoot revolvers enough to develop a callous though. The spot that always gets opened up is the third knuckle (closest to the fingernail) on the left side. What must be happening is that my finger is impacting the bottom of frame during recoil.

Is my grip is wrong?

Do I just need to shoot it more and build up that callous? :dunno:

Clay1
03-09-2011, 07:33
I really don't have an answer for you, but tagged to see what others say. I take it that you are shooting your N frame double action? I have an N frame, a model 27. It would be nice if you had a video cam and could record yourself shooting it with a nice close up from both sides that you could play back in slow motion. Sometimes we are doing things that we don't realize until we see ourselves doing it.

Rick

AndABeer
03-09-2011, 08:44
Yes, double action. Same RH two handed grip I use with my autos; right hand over my left, second knuckles cradeled, thumbs pointed down the left side of the frame, finger pad contacting the trigger in the middle.

I don't have a video cam that would be worth a toot in slo-mo. I could get a pic of my grip on the offending revolver(s) I suppose.

Thanks.

Clay1
03-09-2011, 09:44
As a competitor and a pistol instructor I shoot autos with high thumbs pointed toward the target but on heavy recoiling revolvers I put my left thumb on top of my right thumb as a right handed shooter like he says is OK in this video. I think that the stronghand placement will aid in recoil control and that my help your trigger finger not get beat up as much. This is not my video, but see if it does anything for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQZmau1fmAQ

AndABeer
03-09-2011, 18:30
I waited until I got home from work to verify how high I grip the revolver when snatching it from the scabbard. I confirmed that I typically grab it as high as possible. It didn't feel natural to grip it lower. I suspected as much since I have slide scars from going overboard gripping high with my Glocks. :shame:

Maybe I'll experiment with wrapping my left thumb around the backstrap. A bad habit for an auto shooter to take up. :sad: