To thumb break or not to thumb break? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : To thumb break or not to thumb break?

Sippo
03-09-2011, 20:00
Mas, I've been going back and forth with this dilemma for quite a while. I carry a Glock 19 and Glock 26 concealed for personal defense. I'd like to purchase a leather holster for IWB in the 3-4 o'clock position. I carry the Glocks in condition one. ("one in the tube") I trying to decide whether to have the holster made with a thumb break.
My concern is safety. I heard a lot about the potential for NG's with thumb breaks getting inside the trigger guard during re-holstering. On the other hand I think the thumb break would offer the benefit of keeping the gun securely inside the holster during frequent exiting from automobiles, getting in and out of chairs, and other maneuvers. I figure a quick discrete check of the thumb break offers a good double check to know the pistol is still securely seated in the holster.
What's your opinion? Is the thumb break as "dangerous" as many anecdotal stories maintain? Is a good quality open top leather holster enough to keep the pistol safely seated in the holster during everyday use?

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
03-09-2011, 21:43
The added security of a thumb-break safety strap has a lot to recommend it. As you noted, the danger of an unintended discharge when a strap gets caught in the trigger guard is a real one, and by no means limited to Glocks.

With a thumb-break, it's important to:

1. Buy one of good quality, with a strap too wide to get caught in the trigger guard. The El Cheapo holsters with too-narrow straps are a real problem in this regard.

2. Drill on inserting the gun with gun arm elbow back and muzzle 45 degrees toward the ground ahead of you. This brings the muzzle into the scabbard behind the strap, and the top of the slide separates the strap and the thumb paddle for you, preventing snag. It makes holstering smoother, and does one more thing to keep straps away from triggers.

3. Drill on popping that thumb-break reflexively on the draw, especially if you are accustommed to open top holsters.

best of luck,
Mas

Sippo
03-10-2011, 06:26
Thanks again, Mas