Colt GAU5A [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt GAU5A

Brianharless13
03-09-2011, 21:05
How many of you guys/gals ever carried the Colt GAU5A? I carried one while at Aviano Air Base, Italy. Really enjoyed that rifle and very accurate.

JBnTX
03-09-2011, 22:32
I carried one as a Security Police Flight Sergeant at Dyess AFB, Tx in
the early '70s.

I got curious one day and looked up what the GAU stood for.
It's an Air Force supply designation that means Gun, Aircraft Unit.

I found it odd they would group a personal weapon in with all the
guns found on an aircraft?

Over the years that little rifle has been called by several names.
The US Army called it the XM-177 or Colt Commando.
The civilian version was called the CAR-15.
Colt called it the model 610 or Colt Commando.
Today's most modern version is called the M-4.

Mwildt
03-10-2011, 00:36
the early '70s.

Yep, the AF is beyond goofy with adding their own 'twist' to common items and changing things just for the sake of change. What's our motto these days anyway? Hell, I'm sure it will change in 6 months anyway...

:faint:

DJ Niner
03-10-2011, 01:14
Carried one for several years, on and off (CATM). Fun little guns, I often wanted to make a holster for one and carry it as a sidearm. :supergrin:

If I remember correctly (it's been a looooong time), there were at least three variations of this weapon system listed in the Tech Order.

- GAU-5/A (10.5 inch barrel, long flash suppressor/moderator)

- GAU-5/A/A (11.5 inch barrel, long flash suppressor/moderator)

- GUU-5P (14 inch skinny barrel, standard rifle flash suppressor)

Me (well, most of me) with my GAU-5/A/A guard weapon, about 1986-ish:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5296/djfullauto87og3.jpg

I'm getting that urge for a legal SBR again...

meeko
03-10-2011, 10:02
They were neat guns. They still have them in inventory and are issued to the chopper crews at Malmstrom AFB MT even the ones that were deploying to Afganistan.

AFshooter
03-15-2011, 00:54
I was issued and carried this GUU-5P in Iraq last year.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSC003191.JPG
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/DSC00228.JPG

Close enough.

JBnTX
03-15-2011, 08:45
This gets more and more interesting. It seems the Air Force is in it's own
little world when it comes to naming it's personal weapons.

They upgraded the GAU-5A to what the rest of the world knows as the M-4,
but the Air Force calls it the GUU-5P instead of the more common designation
of M-4.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAR-15

"The United States Air Force has made ad hoc upgrades to its GAU-5/As and GAU-5A/As. The barrels and moderators were replaced with the longer 14.5-inch barrel with a 1-in-12 twist, but the weapons retained their original designations. With the change to M855 cartridges, they either received 1-in-7 twist barrel or complete upper receiver assembly replacements. The GAU-5/A or GAU-5A/A markings were removed and the weapons redesignated GUU-5/P. They also retain automatic fire instead of burst."

"The new designation more accurately reflected the weapon's place in the U.S. Air Force Aerospace Equipment Type Designation System (AETDS). The weapons had initially been designated in the same format as aircraft guns, being placed in the GA category (GA designating an aircraft gun, with U meaning unit, representing a complete system and not part of a kit), followed by the /A suffix meaning the system was for aircraft. GUU is the "guns, miscellaneous personal equipment" category, and the /P suffix indicating personal equipment."

meeko
03-15-2011, 23:05
[QUOTE=JBnTX;17048218]This gets more and more interesting. It seems the Air Force is in it's own
little world when it comes to naming it's personal weapons.

of M-4.QUOTE

Actually they are totally different (sort of). The USAF now issues M4's(not redesignated GAU/GUU's) primarilly to Security Forces, CCT, PJ's TACP etc. The GAU/GUU does not have the removable carring handle so optics mounting is somewhat a pain.
Most GAU's had an extra long flash hiders like the pic posted earler post.

Thats one funny thing about the AF is you will still see a lot of old stuff still being used right along something so new you have only read about it!

AFshooter
03-15-2011, 23:35
of M-4.

Incorrect. Like Meeko posted, they are not at all the same.
M4 = Flat Top upper
M4 = Burst

GUU5P = A2 upper
GUU5P = Full Auto

Our GUU5Ps did have M4 barrels, which were marked 1/7.

The Air Force lists both the M4 and GUU5P in service and even lists the M4 as a suitable substitute for the GAU/GUU for qualification purposes.

Brianharless13
03-18-2011, 19:00
I will have to see if I can find some old photos of a GAU5A and myself. Loved those rifles and would love to own one now. Flight Leaders and Flight Sergeants, K9 and EST carried them at Aviano. I was an armorer and participated as OPFOR so I got to be issued one. I still miss my original M16 also. Had it dialed in.

Morris
03-25-2011, 14:42
GAU5P parts mixmaster depot special. Full auto markings but with a burst cam installed . . . barrel was a pencil. Internals looked like hell.

But she ran like a top and shot well. The magazines, however . . .

JimBianchi
03-25-2011, 15:27
Yep.

Carried one at Ghedi AB, Italy (91-93) and Araxos AB Greece (89-91).

Great little rifles.

freedom790
04-11-2011, 15:38
We still have the GUU here at the FE Warren armory, and are stilled issued out regularly.

MrMurphy
05-07-2011, 13:03
Brian, I was at Aviano 2005-2008.

We'd completely gone over to the M4 by then from the M16, however a couple of our K9 sergeants had been issued GAU's and GUUs within recent memory (2004ish) during the switch.

Was up at Creek D in 2007 and the opfor had them while we all had issued M4's.

5madman2
05-17-2011, 17:40
the early '70s.

I had always heard that it stood for "Ground Assault Unit"

But hey they both work :)

JBnTX
05-18-2011, 14:03
I wish I had some good pictures of the one I carried at Dyess AFB, Tx in the
1970's.

It's the weapon that convinced me how rugged and tough the M-16 family
of weapons are.

It had absolutely no finish left, it was beat and banged up almost beyond
belief.

But, it continued to fire and was accurate.

jrw40113
05-28-2011, 18:01
I started carrying one version or another in 1976 as a K9 Handler at GFAFB when I worked security. First time I tried to qualify with one I couldn't figure out why I was hitting all over the place, until the extended flash suppressor fell off. Once it was tightened on the barrel it shot great. Also carried them in Germany, Korea and Wyoming while pushing a dog.

Doc8404
05-28-2011, 18:43
I started carrying one version or another in 1976 as a K9 Handler at GFAFB when I worked security. First time I tried to qualify with one I couldn't figure out why I was hitting all over the place, until the extended flash suppressor fell off. Once it was tightened on the barrel it shot great. Also carried them in Germany, Korea and Wyoming while pushing a dog.

Griffis? I live right by it.

Morris
05-29-2011, 13:29
First time I tried to qualify with one I couldn't figure out why I was hitting all over the place, until the extended flash suppressor fell off.

I'd have loved to have seen the brass marks coating the inside of that one!

jrw40113
05-29-2011, 17:49
Grand Forks AFB, ND.

CATM checked it, screwed it back on and let me keep on firing. Learned to check that thing everytime I took one out.

whuggins
05-14-2012, 22:54
Carried one at every base I was at back in the 70s through the 80s as a Military Working Dog Handler. One night at an Air Force Base in Germany. The NCO club was out of control and everyone inside was trashing the place. The regular SPs couldn't stop it. Two Dog Handlers, myself and King and another handler and his dog, One at the front door and I was at the back door. They were so loud that no one could here us shout at them. Pumping the Stock of the GAU5A and everyone turned around and saw a cop, a dog and a M-16 standing there the place went quite. It sounded just like a 12 gauge pump. Not everyone carried one. Most of the places I was stationed only K-9 had them. Never had a problem with the 6 inch flash suppressor coming loose. I have three AR's Bushmaster M-4, DPMS M-4 in 6.8SPC piston system, And my Armalite AR-10 in .308 (7.68x58). Always wanted to get myself a GAU5A. Mybe I'll get a long suppressor for one of my M-4's. PS: Is there anyone on here that was a SP at Sembach 77-79 or Zaragoza 80-84 ? Would like to here from you.

TSAX
05-15-2012, 01:53
I was SF and an armorer stateside and overseas and we had a bunch of mix matched stuff all the time. Before the M-4 took over, we carried the A2's and the GUU/GAU were issued our K-9 guys daily and EST. 98 to 03.

:50cal: