Ruger LC-9 safety removal... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger LC-9 safety removal...

Indy_Guy_77
03-10-2011, 08:47
Just curious:

I know on the S&W M&P pistols, the safety lever can be very easily removed as it is just a physical block type system. It's not at all integral to the mechanics of the trigger system.

What about the safety on the Ruger? Can it, too, be removed in a similar manner?

Or is it thin enough and non-intrusive enough to just leave the safety off and not worry about removing it?

Thanks,

-J-

brisk21
03-10-2011, 10:15
I hope it can be safely removed. I would at least not even use it, but theres always a chance that it could get clicked on during carry.

Indy_Guy_77
03-10-2011, 11:49
I hope it can be safely removed. I would at least not even use it, but theres always a chance that it could get clicked on during carry.

Exactly.

I know that member M1Carbine has almost 1000rds through his so far. I remember him stating that he doesn't use the safety at all.

I just wonder about it being "in the way" both in carrying and in shooting. I know the safety on my M&P was definitely in the way. Key word "was".

-J-

buckshotshorty
03-10-2011, 14:10
For me, the safety on the LC9 is no problem...I never use it. I don't see how it could go on accidentally since it takes quite a bit of force to engage it. At first, I thought it was stuck or broken. Then I remember reading somewhere that it took a good deal of force to activate it.

M2 Carbine
03-10-2011, 14:35
Or is it thin enough and non-intrusive enough to just leave the safety off and not worry about removing it?
I've got over a thousand (trouble free) rounds through the gun now.

I am generally not a fan of the thumb safety. If nothing else, usually they are too awkward to operate.
But since the safety is on the LC9 and so many people complain about it, me included, I thought I'd give it a fair trial.

First, the safety is so small and so stiff I don't believe there's a chance that it will make it to the ON position by accident.

Second, the safety is easily pushed down (OFF) with the right thumb without changing hand position.

So that's two points in Ruger's favor.

I used the safety a lot while shooting those 1,000 rounds, maybe 25% of the time. The only problem was when I would forget I had put the safety ON and I'd try to shoot the first round. Of course that's 100% operator error.

Later on I got used to the safety and I hate to admit it, but I actually feel better with the safety ON, like today, while carrying the gun around town in my pocket.

So, IMO, use the safety or don't use it, your choice, but either way I don't think you will have any problem with it.

Now if we can do something about the magazine disconnect and lawyer lock.:)

Nest
03-10-2011, 15:27
I agree with M2Carbine. I've put a couple hundred rounds through a LC9. I can't imagine the safety being engaged by accident. It's just too small and stiff to get hung on something and pushed up.

I jut hope someone finds a way to deactivate the magazine safety if nothing else.

Brian Lee
03-10-2011, 15:32
I have not shot one yet, but want one, and I seriously doubt that the safety will bother me even if I decide not to ever use it.

brisk21
03-10-2011, 21:19
I've got over a thousand (trouble free) rounds through the gun now.

I am generally not a fan of the thumb safety. If nothing else, usually they are too awkward to operate.
But since the safety is on the LC9 and so many people complain about it, me included, I thought I'd give it a fair trial.

First, the safety is so small and so stiff I don't believe there's a chance that it will make it to the ON position by accident.

Second, the safety is easily pushed down (OFF) with the right thumb without changing hand position.

So that's two points in Ruger's favor.

I used the safety a lot while shooting those 1,000 rounds, maybe 25% of the time. The only problem was when I would forget I had put the safety ON and I'd try to shoot the first round. Of course that's 100% operator error.

Later on I got used to the safety and I hate to admit it, but I actually feel better with the safety ON, like today, while carrying the gun around town in my pocket.

So, IMO, use the safety or don't use it, your choice, but either way I don't think you will have any problem with it.

Now if we can do something about the magazine disconnect and lawyer lock.:)

Thats good to hear. It sounds like Ruger engineered the safety so you could use it if you want, but don't need to if you don't. And as long as you can be confident that it won't click on, your good to go.:cool:

marv
03-10-2011, 22:36
If you are that worried about it, maybe a bit of JB Weld in the right place would disable it.

Indy_Guy_77
03-11-2011, 09:01
Ah yes...

Magazine disconnect.

Any word yet on the process to remove/disable THAT fun little feature?

Maybe I should just get myself re-interested in a Kahr CW-9 rather than a Ruger LC-9...

-J-

NateM
04-17-2011, 14:10
I disabled the mag disconnect, AND removed the manual safety on my LC9.

The manual safety on my gun wasn't as stiff after some use and cleaning like some make it out to be. It clicked up and down with just a little pressure. Ive been carrying it now for a few weeks, and I never had it click on, but its ALWAYS in a holster, so for me it has no purpose. While I had the guns guts out to work on the Mag disconnect I popped off the safety bar. Done deal.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/mailletnj/2011-04-16194428.jpg

And I picked up a second magazine for my pocket. These little gun, and a Tom Brown Scout at the small of my back are the newest additions to my EDC.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/mailletnj/2011-04-16194440.jpg

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/mailletnj/2011-04-16194411.jpg

MrVvrroomm
04-17-2011, 20:15
The original version of the LC9 did not come with mag safety or thumb safety.

http://gunsgunsguns.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Kel-Tec-PF-9.jpg

Yeah, Ruger copied it and added unnecessary junk.

cowboywannabe
04-17-2011, 20:23

:thumbsup:

thats was a black eye you just gave ruger ya know? true 100% but a black eye to them just the same.:rofl:

M2 Carbine
04-18-2011, 07:39
Magazine disconnect.

Any word yet on the process to remove/disable THAT fun little feature?

If you are comfortable with tearing into the guts of a pistol you can easily remove the thumb safety and mag safety. You can also modify the internal "lawyer lock" so it can't be turned on.

I removed the mag safety.
With use I became comfortable with the thumb safety and now use it when carrying the gun.

Funny thing is, a couple days ago I (impulse) bought a Ruger SR9C. It has the same features as the LC9, except it doesn't have a internal "lawyer lock".

BTW the SR9C looks like a keeper. So far 350 rounds with no gun caused malfunctions. Good trigger. Good adjustable sights, and it's accurate back to 52 yards.

Stimo
05-21-2011, 01:19
Also read that if you have any technical ability at all the magazine disconnect can be removed in 20 min. and thats from freshly getting the gun and taking it apart to having it functioning perfectly. You just have to remove part #'s 11/12 for the magazine safety disconnect. Just look at rugers website at the blown up picture of a LC9 with all the parts listed.
From what i've read you take out the piece at the bottom of the magazine, get needle nose lyers and release tension on spring #8 i believe, pop out the two pins #s 44/45 i believe pins and the slide/trigger assembly will be ready to pull out. Be carfeul and function the gun a couple times by pulling the trigger so you konw how the gun functions/works before you start pulling things out so when you put it back together you have an iea of how everything works. Pull out the slide/trigger assembly and from what i've read heep pressure on both sides of the rails so the #5bar/sprng or whatveer doesnt pop out. Remove parts 11/12, then reassemble and you're done.

G19Paul
05-21-2011, 06:54
California started this crap with their laws. For any pistol company to be able to sell their guns in CA they have to put a loaded chamber indicator, mag-in interlock, some sort of manual safety, and the lawyer-lock into the firearm.

Give me a Glock or a Kahr; pull the trigger = bang.

M2 Carbine
05-21-2011, 12:27
Shot the gun again this morning using still another bullet. 100+ rounds of 124 grain Berry JRN plated bullets using 4 different magazines.

That's over 1,300 trouble free rounds now.

I think I'm becoming fond of this gun.:)

DEADEYEGUY
05-21-2011, 23:42
Removing a safety factory installed safety device might (just might) be used against you by a prosecutor if you ever have to use your weapon. Why not just not use it? The DA trigger pull in theory acts as a safety. I've never had any problemsn. Most every one of the very small .32, .380, 9mm, and .40 caliber carry guns have no safety except a long DAO trigger pull. Same with DAO revolvers.
I had a Kel Tec P11 without a safety. A couple of Taurus PT145's that I never used the safties on (with other problems though). Same with a PT-111 and never had any problems with it. Kel Tec P32, P3AT, PF9 not a single problem. Kahr MK40 not a single problem. Not to mention numerous Glocks, XD's, and other guns with no external safties. As long as you use a holster that covers the trigger, work with your guns trigger pull, not using an external safety is not really a problem on long DAO guns. Like I said I started with revolvers and only shot them DAO. No safety, no problem. Just don't engage it. These type of guns really don't need it.

Stimo
05-23-2011, 02:43
California started this crap with their laws. For any pistol company to be able to sell their guns in CA they have to put a loaded chamber indicator, mag-in interlock, some sort of manual safety, and the lawyer-lock into the firearm.

Give me a Glock or a Kahr; pull the trigger = bang.

I agree to a point, California SUCKS for gun owners/manufacturers in that they have to have certain safeties, etc. But California doesnt make it MANDATORY to have ALL those safeties. I own a FNH FNP-40 bought in California, and my gun has only a decocker and a "loaded chamber indicator" that BARELY sticks out the side of the ejection port. To be honest i dont even trust the loaded chamber indicator since it literally barely sticks out at all, i cant even do a feel check thats how little it moves, to be honest i dont even think it works ;) Other than that, no safeties, no mag disconnect safety, nothing. The ONLY safety on it is a loaded chamber indicator, i dont consider a de-cocker a saftey but to each his own.. Great gun, its one that i'll never sell as i love the feel/accuracy/look of the gun, not to mention i havent had one FTF FTE, nothing in over 2k rounds. The slide didnt lock back for the first 100 or so rounds (guessing it just needed to be broken in a bit) but as soon as the recoil spring loosened up a tiny bit it hasnt failed since..
Anyways sorry for getting off topic, but California, i believe, only maes mandatory that it has some sort of drop safety so the gun doesnt go off if dropped (almost all new guns have some sort of this safety now) and they require a loaded chamber indicator, other than that all those other safeties are BS unless theres different rules/laws for micro guns..
Also if you purchase the gun and alter it, as long as you dont take off/add anything that would make the gun illegal, its completely legal to do; its your gun you own it. A magazine safety disconnect is not a mandatory safety for California guns so thats coming off first thing. Not to mention i dont carry much in the Republik of Kalifornia because i dont have a CCW permit for this county (lol, they do CCW permits here by county not state ;)) so i only carry if im going to a bad neighborhood. Other than that i do a lot of traveling so i have both my utah/nevada CCW permits and i get reciprocity with those two permits in ~40 states. So as long as im not caught in Kalifornia with the magazine disconnect removed i think ill be ok, and even then i dont think it'd matter, but im not 100% on this so look it up before you do it ;)

Stimo
05-23-2011, 02:49
SB 489 (Stats. 2003, ch. 500) (Scott)

Requires that effective January 1, 2006, no semiautomatic center-fire pistol model may be added to the roster of handguns certified for sale in California unless it has a chamber load indicator or, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism. No rimfire semiautomatic pistol that has a detachable magazine may be added to the certified list of handguns for sale in California unless it has a magazine disconnect mechanism. Effective January 1, 2007, no semiautomatic pistol may be added to the roster unless it has both a chamber load indicator and, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism. Handgun models that have been placed on the roster prior to the new requirements becoming operative may remain on the roster without these features (PC 12126, 12130).

Exempts the sale, loan, or transfer of any semiautomatic pistol that is to be used solely as a prop in a motion picture, television, or video production by an authorized agent of the entity producing the production or event from the requirements pertaining to the roster of handguns certified for sale in California (PC 12132).

Hmmm, wondering how they sold me my FNP-40 now ;).. They havent beeen on the shelves in quite a while so maybe they pulled them, ut i bought mine a bit over a year ago so the law was DEFINITELY in affect. Im at a loss for words as i saw FN's selling all over for a while, and they're still selling the 5.7x28 which doesnt have a magazine disconnect.

Stimo
05-23-2011, 02:57
Removing a safety factory installed safety device might (just might) be used against you by a prosecutor if you ever have to use your weapon. Why not just not use it? The DA trigger pull in theory acts as a safety. I've never had any problemsn. Most every one of the very small .32, .380, 9mm, and .40 caliber carry guns have no safety except a long DAO trigger pull. Same with DAO revolvers.
I had a Kel Tec P11 without a safety. A couple of Taurus PT145's that I never used the safties on (with other problems though). Same with a PT-111 and never had any problems with it. Kel Tec P32, P3AT, PF9 not a single problem. Kahr MK40 not a single problem. Not to mention numerous Glocks, XD's, and other guns with no external safties. As long as you use a holster that covers the trigger, work with your guns trigger pull, not using an external safety is not really a problem on long DAO guns. Like I said I started with revolvers and only shot them DAO. No safety, no problem. Just don't engage it. These type of guns really don't need it.

I wasnt talking about removing the safety itself, but the magazine safety disconnect. I understand the purpose for them in law enforcement situations where a BG might get ahold of an officers gun, and so his own gun cant be used against him the officer an drop the mag rendering the gun useless.. Thats the only reason for a magazine disconnect IMO. Other than that, for CC if anything it could cost you your life. Say you draw your gun on a BG and you accidently hit the magazine disconnect and the mag falls to the floor. Now you have a 17oz. paperweight with that magazine disconnect. At least without the magazine disconnect youll have that one round in the chamber which could save your life. IMO it's worth it to take it off, if you dont want to, dont do it. But for me it's just another safety that i dont need. My safety is my trigger finger and my brain, thats all you need. IMO all the "safeties" on guns is these days is for all the idiots that go out and buy a gun without knowing a thing about them. If you do what you're supposed to do and act like the gun is ALWAYS loaded you'll never have a problem.

Veedubklown
05-23-2011, 03:04
SB 489 (Stats. 2003, ch. 500) (Scott)

Requires that effective January 1, 2006, no semiautomatic center-fire pistol model may be added to the roster of handguns certified for sale in California unless it has a chamber load indicator or, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism. No rimfire semiautomatic pistol that has a detachable magazine may be added to the certified list of handguns for sale in California unless it has a magazine disconnect mechanism. Effective January 1, 2007, no semiautomatic pistol may be added to the roster unless it has both a chamber load indicator and, if it has a detachable magazine, a magazine disconnect mechanism. Handgun models that have been placed on the roster prior to the new requirements becoming operative may remain on the roster without these features (PC 12126, 12130).

Exempts the sale, loan, or transfer of any semiautomatic pistol that is to be used solely as a prop in a motion picture, television, or video production by an authorized agent of the entity producing the production or event from the requirements pertaining to the roster of handguns certified for sale in California (PC 12132).

Hmmm, wondering how they sold me my FNP-40 now ;).. They havent beeen on the shelves in quite a while so maybe they pulled them, ut i bought mine a bit over a year ago so the law was DEFINITELY in affect. Im at a loss for words as i saw FN's selling all over for a while, and they're still selling the 5.7x28 which doesnt have a magazine disconnect.

Guess it would depend on what year they were added to the roster. What year were those pistols marketed?

Stimo
05-24-2011, 01:15
Guess it would depend on what year they were added to the roster. What year were those pistols marketed?

I believe they first came out in 2008, but it could have been 2007. Regardless, the 5.7x28 is still selling and thats a new gun introduced no more than 2 years ago, so that gun should definitely be banned according to CA state laws but like i said before im at a loss for words, hopefully someone with more knowledge on the subject will chime in and clear this up as i just went down to a local store today and they're selling the FNX-9/40 and thats new for 2011 with no magazine disconnect safety, so again, im confused! ;)

Either way though none of those guns have magazine disconnect safeties, so i think the only thing MANDATORY is a loaded chamber indicator for California (and of course no hi-cap mags :( )..

Stimo
05-25-2011, 05:37
So i picked up the LC9 today and went through 100 rounds without one problem! Nice gun, i like it a lot! Mine shot about 3 inches left at 20ft so i adjusted windage and we'll see how it goes next time out at the range, next time ill bring my allen wrench so i can adjust there.

Anyways right when i got home first thing i did was get rid of that stupid mag safety disconnect! Took me about an hour or so but i finally got it, only thing i dont like is the plastic dowels that hold the trigger mechanism in place arent 100% perfect anymore since i punched them out with an allen wrench that was a bit smaller than it so it made a couple marks on the plastic dowels. Other than that though the gun functions GREAT and i DEFINITELY notice a difference in trigger pull! When practicing dry-firing before and after it was dfinitely noticeable!

Donn57
05-25-2011, 06:34
I understand the purpose for them in law enforcement situations where a BG might get ahold of an officers gun, and so his own gun cant be used against him the officer an drop the mag rendering the gun useless.. Thats the only reason for a magazine disconnect IMO. Other than that, for CC if anything it could cost you your life. Say you draw your gun on a BG and you accidently hit the magazine disconnect and the mag falls to the floor.

To each his own, but personally I think the odds of someone getting in a tussle over their gun are greater than the odds of someone accidentally dropping their magazine. Proper training will prevent the latter, but not the possibility of the former.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a gun with a magazine disconnect, but if the only reason for disconnecting it was that I might drop my magazine by accident, I wouldn't bother worrying about disconnecting it.

M2 Carbine
05-25-2011, 08:04
If there's a round in the chamber I want to be able to fire that round whether or not there's a magazine in the gun.

Of all the "safety features" we are burdened with on otherwise good guns, the "magazine safety" has got to be about the most useless and counterproductive. Although the internal "lawyer lock" is pretty damned dumb to.

Stimo
05-26-2011, 00:28
To each his own, but personally I think the odds of someone getting in a tussle over their gun are greater than the odds of someone accidentally dropping their magazine. Proper training will prevent the latter, but not the possibility of the former.

I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a gun with a magazine disconnect, but if the only reason for disconnecting it was that I might drop my magazine by accident, I wouldn't bother worrying about disconnecting it.

You'd be surprised how buttery your fingers can get in the heat of the moment, when drawing from a CC position, it's easy to hit the magazine disconnect especially with a pocket pistol when your life is on the line and you're trying to hurry. Training will only help so much, but it will never totally prevent you from accidently hitting the mag disconnect when drawing from a CC position or any position for that matter. In the event that it did happen i'd want to know i have at least one useable round instead of a paperweight. Like i said before, i totally understand your point of view FOR A POLICE OFFICER getting in a scuffle and a BG getting ahold of their gun since it's visible, but if you're CC'ing then the BG wont know you have a gun in the first place so there's nothing for him to grab at.

Stimo
05-26-2011, 00:39
Anyways for all of you wanting SPECIFIC directions on how to remove the magazine disconnect on the LC9, here it is;

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

Removing the magazine safety disconnect isnt as easily done on the LC9 as the SR9C. Im not going to make a video or anything because it literally took me ~2 hours to do (half of the time was due to lining the trigger mechanism/rails up and getting the plastic dowels back in lol) but i can give an explanation of what exactly to remove and take off, it's not too hard just time consuming and you have to be somewhat handy/knowledgeable in mechanics and understand how things work becuase a couple springs, etc. WILL pop out of the sides and you need to know which way to put tension on the spring and which way to put the piece, etc. To remove the magazine safety disconnect it doesnt take any extra parts, just a removal of 2 parts in the trigger assembly and re-install and you're GTG. Anyways heres a write-up on how to do it:

1: Break the gun all the way down like you're going to clean it, separating the slide from the frame.

2: Look in your Ruger LC9 manual or download the PDF file from their website, it is definitely needed so have it handy. (NOW cycle the gun and pull the trigger and PAY ATTENTION to how everything functions because everything has to go back the same way)

3: Remove part# 54, and it will expose the hammer spring and the pin its connected to. Get a pair of pliers and take the tension off of part # 53 at the bottom of the magazine well, and take out part# 53. (all these parts ARE going back in exactly the same way so remember how it goes back together obviously)

4: Remove part 45, (2 of them) the plastic dowels holding the trigger mechanism/rails to the frame. Also remove part #46, a pin on the side that has a spring and part of the trigger mechanism attached to it. (REMEMBER TO FUNCTION YOUR GUN A FEW TIMES ONCE YOU HAVE THE SLIDE OFF AND PAY ATTENTION TO HOW THE TRIGGER MECHANISM WORKS AND TRAVELS ALONG THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE GUN AND BACK TO THE HAMMER, YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS ONCE THE SLIDE WAS OFF BUT IF NOT DO IT BEFORE REMOVING THE TWO PLASTIC DOWELS)

5: When you remove part #46 pay attention to how the spring/trigger actuator goes into position, it goes BEHIND the hammer/spring not in front so MAKE SURE its behind when you put it back or your gun wont work, i unfortunately made this mistake ;) ) Also make sure you put this part in BEFORE you set the rails back in or itll be impossible, trust me ;)

6: Now the slide rails/trigger mechanism is ready to be pulled out, it takes some force but pull on the front and back of the rails and wiggle the trigger mechanism/rails out of the frame of the gun. The take down plate for disassembly (part# 24) will fall out, just put it aside and pop it back in once the rails are basically set in on re-assembly. Its ok you can get the trap door in place even with the rails installed. (Once the rails/trigger mechanism is out MAKE SURE to study each side and how it all functions by holding the sides and pulling the trigger while holding both sides of the rails, springs will pop out of place and they need to be torqued back into place the correct direction or your gun will not function. Pay attention to how the safety works too as those are little parts and they pop out easily (Also if you dont want the safety AT ALL, now is the time to remove that too ;) )

7: The ONLY parts that need to be removed are part#'s 11 and 12, the magazine disconnect and magazine disconnect spring. This piece is VERY hard to get out, it took me a good 30 min. to remove it and i ended up just breaking it in half to get it out lol, they're cheap and if i ever decide to sell it already have another on order so i can reinstall it if needed with the spring. Once those two parts are removed, it's time to reassemble and you're good to go! NOTHING needs to be added to make this work, and like i said before, to the people that dont like the safety and magazine disconnect, both can be removed easily at this time. I could do it in ~20-30 min. now that i know exactly what to do and in what order. Also if you don't like the loaded chamber indicator (this i dont know why some people dont like as it DOES NOT show when looking down the sights and a round in the chamber), but all that is needed to fix that is file down the nub where it contacts the casing and follow the contour that the LCI has already, just shaving it down some. This will make it not pop up as much as you desire, or not at all if you want.

This is by far the most detailed list i've seen seen on the internet of how to remove the MSD on the LC9 so enjoy!

BTW, i take NO RESPONSIBILITY if you mess your gun up and cant get it to function again, you obviously did something wrong/spring slipped without you noticing. If anyone needs help i can only help so much online but feel free to PM me if you have any questions..

Georg of Ohio
05-28-2012, 10:44
I have been carrying my LC9 for almost a year. I have ran 800-900 rounds thru it and it have performed flawlessly. I NEVER engage the manual thumb safety, but do swipe the manual thumb safety in my drill. Last night when I took it out of my pocket holster (to clean it), I found the safety engaged!! My point is, do not allow anyone tell you that the manual thumb safety will not engage just by carrying it in a pocket holster- you must add the swiping of the thumb safety in your drill.

Walk Soft
05-28-2012, 10:51
I removed the mag safety on mine.It now has 975 flawless rounds through it.I only carry mine when in church or when I'm wearing khakis or suit pants,which is rare.It's a hard trigger to master but once you do it's really accurate.

Georg of Ohio
05-29-2012, 10:03
The LC9 is easy to carry, but I think that Ill just go back to my G36, no manual thumb safety and no mag safety,And every time I pulled the trigger, it when bang.

CBennett
05-29-2012, 15:31

id still rather have the Ruger to be honest.

CBennett
05-29-2012, 15:35
Funny thing is, a couple days ago I (impulse) bought a Ruger SR9C. It has the same features as the LC9, except it doesn't have a internal "lawyer lock".

I like/dont mind thumb safeties so i cant/wont speak to that but the nice thing about the SR9c is the Mag safety comes out in about 15-20 seconds :supergrin: . mine has been out since I took it apart to clean it when i got it. after finally figuring out I needed to clean out all the gunk they had in the striker channel from the factory its ran 100% and ive got around 1400 rounds since that time(1500 total)

WiskyT
07-07-2012, 13:15
I disabled the mag disconnect, AND removed the manual safety on my LC9.

The manual safety on my gun wasn't as stiff after some use and cleaning like some make it out to be. It clicked up and down with just a little pressure. Ive been carrying it now for a few weeks, and I never had it click on, but its ALWAYS in a holster, so for me it has no purpose. While I had the guns guts out to work on the Mag disconnect I popped off the safety bar. Done deal.

And I picked up a second magazine for my pocket. These little gun, and a Tom Brown Scout at the small of my back are the newest additions to my EDC.

My thumb safety was initially stiff. Lately, it has been getting easier to put on safe. I have found it a couple of times with the safety on when I didn't want it to be. maybe it's sometimser's disease, or maybe it is putting itself on.

I removed the thumb safety, but left the mag safety in place. The mag safety is convenient for me at times and I don't worry about it being there. Also, it was a little more small part disassembly to remove the mag safety than I wanted to take on. It took 5 minutes to remove the thumb safety. I used a shortened bamboo grill skewer for a punch so I wouldn't mark up the the plastic pins.

The question I have is, have you had any trouble with reliability since removing the thumb safety? Has anyone else removed the thumb safety?

What did annoy me though is the plastic cover that snaps on the heel of the grip to cover the main spring. I took it off very carefully with my thumbnail and the little cleats that snap on to the main spring pin broke. So now it won't stay on.