Some revolver questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Some revolver questions

kevh481
03-10-2011, 12:01
Mas,

I'm a post-revolver era cop that has recently discovered wheel guns. I've carried a S&W 442 for years, but have recently been shooting it more and now want to pick up a few of its big brothers.

In the March/April 2011 issue of AH on page 24 there is a S&W pre-27 with a set of aftermarket grips. What grips are those? Do you have a favorite revolver grip?

Also, is there any revolver specific training be offered out there these days?

Lastly, what is your recommended self-defense round for 357 Magnum? I'm currently carrying the Speer Gold-Dot 135gr +P 38 Spcl in my 442.

Mas Ayoob
04-04-2011, 08:05
Kev, I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. Those grips had been on the gun for some time before it came to master revolversmith Dennis Reichard in Rochester, IN, and I had to backtrack through the original customer.

Those are Roper-style stocks done by the late, great Deacon Deeson. The design can now be had from Blu-Magnum, at www.blu-magnum.com.

Personally, since you asked, my preferences vary depending on the purpose of the gun. LaserGrips or Spegel Boot Grips for hideout J-frames, Spegels for concealed carry K-frames, and Hogue or Pachmayr grips on most of my competition revolvers.

In .357 Magnum, it's tough to beat the classic 125 grain semi-jacketed hollow point rated for 1450 fps.

best,
Mas